Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Will this do?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ade Eades (Eadsie)11/08/2013 20:25:17
108 forum posts
17 photos

Hello, I have the components from a spare heli electronics (Blade 450 3d) i want to put into a 'EDF' T-45 jet.....my first venture into 'jet' models i have flown a small sukhoi parkzone micro plane for a few weeks.

1. its going to save me money on buying new bits.
  2. the parts are compatible so should be right, right?
  3. Turnigy 3C 2200 25c Batteries (x4 unused)
  4. E-Flyte 35A ESC w/S-BEC
  5. Spektrum Reciever AR6115E
  6. E-Flyte 420 brushless motor

The new model (T-45 EDF jet) has a 64mm 6 blade ducted fan (motor required which i hopefully have)

My Question is....how can i tell how many mins flight time i will have/be able, and will my batteries be up to the job? They are brand new, and not cheap either, i don't want to 'stress' my electronics and break something. would you recomend a 'Wattmeter'?

As the components are 'made for the heli set-up' is everything going to be ok?

Am i right in saying a EDF' fan motor will want to draw more current than my stock 35A ESC can deliver and ruin it and/or batteries in the process?

Any help will be great,

Kind regards ade.

Frank Skilbeck11/08/2013 23:01:42
4685 forum posts
101 photos

If you don't have any data on the EDF Fan-motor combination with a 3s battery then a "wattmeter" (or ammeter) to check that it' not drawing more amps than the ESC or motor are rated at would be essential.

If it's OK note the amps at WOT (Wide open throttle), you 2200 batteries are capable of providing 2.2 amps for 1 hour or 2.2 x 25 amps for 60/25 mins, so say your wattmeter showed 30A then the components would be good, you'd aim only to use a max of 2,000 mah from your battery, (they last longer if you don't completely drain them), so at WOT you would get 2/30ths of an hour, i.e. 4 mins. I would start at say 3mins on your timer and then measure how much charge the batteries take back and adjust the timer accordingly.

Ade Eades (Eadsie)12/08/2013 07:24:52
108 forum posts
17 photos

brilliant thank you, i have read quite a lot on the subject and am trying to get my head around it, so i had better invest in a watt meter to be safe then. like i say, the electronics are perfect together in my heli but the load drawn from a 6 blade fan will be different, thats watt' i need to find out then (excuse the punn) cheers smiley ade.

Simon Chaddock12/08/2013 12:45:33
5695 forum posts
3028 photos

It will depend on the type of fan and the motor you use but a 64mm unit can draw close to 40A at full power.

If so a 35A ESC is likely to get too hot and fail. It is recommended that the ESC has about 1/3 'headroom' over the full power current.

40A would be working a 25C 2200mAh battery fairly hard as well.

That Watt meter is essential!

Frank Skilbeck12/08/2013 15:07:24
4685 forum posts
101 photos

Adrian is this the T45 you have bought without the electrics, if thats the case the RTF version comes with a 30A ESC and 4300kv motor for use with a 2200 mah 3s battery, but checking the specs on your heli motor it's only a 3800 kv motor, which means it will turn the fan some 10% slower than the stock motor and hence draw less amps than stock, so with your set up you won't overload the ESC while your the motor is only rated for 25A continuous, it should be OK, but as it's a slower turning motor you will probably find the aircraft performance is down on the stock setup.

Ade Eades (Eadsie)12/08/2013 17:44:49
108 forum posts
17 photos

Thanks frank/simon. the kit arrived today, its similar to that kit in your link, slightly down on quality from what ive seen so far, the fan has onlhy 5 blades not six shown, and i have no idea how i attach it to my motor? the fan has a large diameter hole in and looks like your supposed to use a screw through the centre to fix it to the motor shaft....via some kinda adaptor? so i have a large hole fan blade and a 2-3mm shaft on my motor.....am i missing something? is there a 'Hub' i need to buy?

Unfortunately, the instructions are for a bind & fly model with all built-in electrics, where as my kit is literally main wing / tail wing / main body / canopy / nose cone / new arms to put on my servo's / wheels & stickers. There is no assembly instructions how to put in servo's, battery, ESC etc...(duct is installed as is rods for the rudder /elevator)

Its a very basic kit, which i dont mind, thats half the fun, but a little more info would have been nice, How to put fan blade on motor, where to install esc / receiver etc.....oh well........i guess its up to me to sort it.......wish me luck!

Ade.

Simon Chaddock12/08/2013 18:58:52
5695 forum posts
3028 photos

You need a 'rotor plug' like this with the centre hole sized for your motor shaft.

For a first dabble into ducted fans there is a lot to be said for buying a complete EDF unit with motor. I did! wink 2

Ade Eades (Eadsie)12/08/2013 19:46:36
108 forum posts
17 photos

Cheers simon......i might pop down to my local hobby shop and pick his brains....now not wanting to sound completely thick....which way round does the motor go? does it actually sit inside the duct inner round sleeve facing towards the front of the plane or in front of the duct facing aft. the diameter inside the duct is way too small for my E-Flyte 420 motor....sorry for all the questions...ade.

Ade Eades (Eadsie)26/08/2013 00:30:20
108 forum posts
17 photos

Well, made good progress today, installed my new motor, i had to file down 4 plastic guides in the motor housing so the motor would sit right into the duct propperly, it took a bit lateral thinking and a steady hand with my dremmil with sanding-cone attachment.

So motor installed, the two control wires for the elevators needed a darn good oil to 'free them up' as were quite rough inside the tubes/guides. Installed the elevator servo and tested, installed the ailerons servo and tested, Tested the motor was running ok........and boy! its got some thrust for a 64mm set-up (not that ive had any previous experience with this kinda model as i'm a newbie.....but you get my drift). i was very impressed.

So i just got to sort-out where to site the ESC as its a bit of a squeeze in the cockpit area. oh and not forgetting the RX location as well?.......

Any ideas / photo's chaps & chapesses? help is grately received......can't wait to have a go!

Kind Regards Ade

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!