By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

newbie to gliding, what to buy and little help with whats what

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
james paul11/08/2013 22:14:45
14 forum posts

hi guys, 1st thread, bascially im into rc electric planes.

so basically taken the dog for a walk the other day in brighton and come across all these people flying gliders, and now im hooked!

so i have been looking to buy one, but so many to choose!

but i know i want a powered gilder with folding prop for sure

but do i get the traditional tail, the V Tail,

foam or plastic type body/wings

do i get a 2m 2.5m or bigger wing span, im assuming bigger the wingspan less movability you will get?

so im thinking maybe 2m wingspan as would like to be able to do rolls and loops easily, unless you tell me otherwise the bigger gliders are just as nimble, and of course the bigger ones are proberly better at gliding?

and also i would like one with a pretty powerful engine for the tricks side of it,

if someone could explain what the difference between these, and any links to what you recommend would be very much appreciated

please help

James

Mart4912/08/2013 09:17:25
259 forum posts
5 photos

Well, my first venture into powered gliders was the Hobbyking Phoenix 2000. Excellent value for money, and quite popular (I think all the Mods on here have one!). For less than £60, you get good thermalling ability, good sloping in moderate winds, and a whole lot of fun as well. I've installed the optional flaps which slows it down nicely for landing.

Edited By Mart49 on 12/08/2013 09:23:24

ken anderson.12/08/2013 10:29:09
8769 forum posts
813 photos

hello james............so many to choose from....i would def consider one of the multiplex easy gliders......this will tick most of the boxs for you......and when you are Happy you can get something a bit more 'nimble'.......

ken anderson....ne....1.......box's dept...

Ernie12/08/2013 11:50:00
2542 forum posts
24 photos

Hi James, Do you want to build your glider, or do you want to buy it ready to fly? And do you want to power it with an electric motor, or internal combustion? Also,how aerobatic do you want it to be? Remember you will be better with a stable model until you become competent at flying it ernie

Tom Satinet12/08/2013 12:51:41
519 forum posts

James

If you go down the powered glider route it's worth bearing in mind that a lot of slope sites don't allow powered flight. I would check the situation on the slopes you will be flying at if it's slope soaring you are talking about.

To be honest I would not get any easy glider as they are really slow and very boring. I would imagine even more so if you already fly RC planes.

It's hard to recommend anything as it's down to budget and building skills. The best gliders are all moulded, but they cost the most money.

T

james paul12/08/2013 13:11:21
14 forum posts

hi guys thanks for all the reply's

Mart 49: The phoenix does seem to be a popular choice, seems to get mentioned alot on sites, isit powerful for loops and stuff etc, I dont really want a sluggish glider,

thanks ken! ill have a look at the now thanks

ernie, hi ernie, no would prefer ready to fly, or very basic building, yes definately want powered glider, folding prop? I dont want it like super fast super agile, but i dont want one that is a bit slow on turning etc, still want to have a bit of fun

tom, where they was flying them, i dont think it was a Rc club or anything like that, it was just up in the hills in Brighton, so shouldn't think that would be a problem, yes I dont want a beginners glider, I would say im a intermediate pilot, im looking to spend around £300, I already have controller so that saves me a fair amount

have watched a few videos of the FPV Topmodel CZ, seems like a very good glider, what does everyone think? although it does have a big wingspan does that mean for tricks etc it wouldn't really be idle?

basically want one thats a very good glider and has power when you need it to have some fun dont want much haha

thanks again everyone

james

Frank Skilbeck12/08/2013 13:32:24
4845 forum posts
107 photos

Have a look at the Multiplex Solius, check out the video where they show it doing rolling circles, friend at my club has one, it can fly much quicker than the regular foamy electric gliders, on a fast unpowered pass has a mouldie like whistle. and it will thermal with the best of them, the most impressive foamy glider I've seen todate.

If you go the non-powered route I'd look at a 2nd hand mouldie I bought a 2nd hand 1.5m Mini Blade and it is an absolute hoot and screams around the slope, with the flaps mixed in with the ailerons it rolls really quick and the crow braking is very useful for landing,.

Can't comment on the FPV Topmodel CZ, but my larger wingspan scale HP18 (3.5m) and Discus (4m) take up an awful lot of sky to do a roll and it's not something I make a habit of, but loops and stall turns (Discus) are no problem.

Mart4912/08/2013 13:52:53
259 forum posts
5 photos

James, I can loop, roll, inverted and stall turns. When I've learnt more tricks, it will probably do them as well. But it is a 2mt glider and gliding is what its best for

james paul12/08/2013 17:41:23
14 forum posts

thanks Frank ill have a look at it now, whats better then foam glider or the plastic type?, i was thinking about a non powered glider, but think i need a bit more experience before heading down that route,

so would you say the max wingspan woud be 2.5m? for good thermal flying and also a bit of fun when needed?

also what about motors? are all powdered by the same type? or are some more powerful than others?

thanks mart, good to know

james paul12/08/2013 18:39:06
14 forum posts

peoples foughts on the phoenix 2000?

Paul Marsh12/08/2013 19:17:32
4104 forum posts
1235 photos

I've got the ideal machine for sale for you...but I'm up north. see the classified section.

Edited By Paul Marsh on 12/08/2013 19:22:05

james paul12/08/2013 19:59:15
14 forum posts

that looks nice! ill have a look thanks mate

i came across this model Phoenix Evolution 2.6M with interchangable wing span being changed from either 2.6m to 1.6m, this seems like the best of both worlds?

whats peoples foughts on this? little video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5HtwW8kuqE

00112/08/2013 20:30:20
2212 forum posts
1 photos

There's the Multiplex Blizzard. Handle anything you throw at it ....seems to have gone out of fashion. Look up some earlier threads and reviews!!!

SlopeFlyer25/08/2013 11:27:52
120 forum posts
8 photos

How about one of these?

**LINK**

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!