779 forum posts
1830 photos

I just painted mine , only just showing signs of wear after seven years

Andy Blackburn26/10/2014 16:17:38
481 forum posts
486 photos
1 articles

Ah! smiley

Thanks Jeff, just the sort of inspiration I needed at this point. Nice model, wheels are Williams, I assume? (or are they the Flair wheels?) and they look great - what sort of paint did you use?

I think I might try some black fabric dye on mine to see if I can get them to go grey, which - I think - will look a bit better still.

Edited By Andy Blackburn on 26/10/2014 16:20:37

Andy Blackburn20/11/2014 13:23:57
481 forum posts
486 photos
1 articles

Finally got through the ordeal of making the interplane struts:

struts-1.jpg

They're built-up from a fairly close-grained wood (no idea what sort, it's fairly close-grained and looks a bit like lime) and 1/64" ply fishplates. I've no idea why these have taken so long to work through and if I was building another, I'd probably consider doing the struts first when enthusiasm for the project is at it's height.

It was only after I'd glued the first bits together that I realised that it might have been better to shape the struts to section before assembly, because otherwise one is left with the problem of shaping the junctions:

struts-2.jpg

...as can just be seen in the next picture which shows the masking required to taper the fishplates properly, there's a tendency to cut into the fishplates a little bit when sanding the struts to section.

struts-3.jpg

...and here are the finished items; it took a lot of sanding to get to this stage but the up-side of this rather protracted production process is a warm glow of satisfaction when it's all done:

struts-4.jpg

The only way I could get the holes in the right place was to start with an indent made with a scriber, then a Permagrit round needle file, then a 1.5 mm drill going up by each drill size to 3.2 mm, adjusting the hole with the needle file in-between drills so that the holes remain centred.

I think I've just got the tail skid to sort out (I want something better than what's on the plan, but am advised that a sprung tail skid isn't worth the bother), then it's on to the good bit - the fuselage. However, it'll be a few weeks before I can make a start on this because of some repair work, and of course the requirements of the festive season will soon be making themselves felt.

Andy Blackburn27/12/2014 21:46:06
481 forum posts
486 photos
1 articles

I won't get back to this build properly until Jan/Feb, but I did get these Williams white-tyred wheels from Proctor Enterprises just before Christmas:

williams-wheels.jpg

They're compared with the standard Flair items on the right, which I think look (for want of a better term) a bit too British (narrower tyre, larger wheel offset.

Vinegar Dave05/01/2015 16:02:59
98 forum posts
1 photos

I am in ore of you guys and hope one day i can build something like those. I Love WW1 planes since i was a kid and even studied many books on the aircraft and pilots and seen what is left . I even travelled to the USA to see a few...

Great planes

Gary Binnie18/07/2019 20:42:07
515 forum posts
34 photos

Old thread alert! Did this model get finished?

To cut a long story short I acquired one of these recently, a house clearance item so I have no history. I believe the model had not flown and the engine (Laser 70) probably needs running in.

I suffered a lean cut on the second flight today, managed to pull off a reasonable dead stick landing into a rough part of the field but the model caught a large thistle and ground looped. At first I thought there was no damage but when I picked it up the top wing was loose, the metal strut attachment strips had pulled out of the wing.

In the photos here a dowel or spigot is shown passing through the plates, is that how it should be?

It was lucky that I didn't try a loop!

Cheers

Gary

p7182019.jpg

p7182020.jpg

p7182021.jpg

Don Fry18/07/2019 21:02:25
3735 forum posts
42 photos

Yes that's right, simple glue failure. Bit of rust? I see. Wood glue used instead of epoxy?

But I bet the stresses involved in hitting that thistle beats a loop. Enjoy.

Gary Binnie18/07/2019 21:27:55
515 forum posts
34 photos

I shall clean the rust off and use good epoxy.

Soon be back in the air again.

Andy Blackburn19/07/2019 08:46:56
481 forum posts
486 photos
1 articles
Posted by Gary Binnie on 18/07/2019 20:42:07:

Old thread alert! Did this model get finished?

Er... no, not as such. blush Not yet, anyway. I have acquired some lozenge-printed solartex which will be fine for sport scale, just need to find a gap in a very crowded build schedule to finish it off.

A.

Maurice Dyer19/07/2019 13:42:30
40 forum posts

Mine was ten years in the finishing....And lozenge was valspar Matt emulsion

Andy Blackburn19/07/2019 18:44:45
481 forum posts
486 photos
1 articles
Posted by Maurice Dyer on 19/07/2019 13:42:30:

Mine was ten years in the finishing....And lozenge was valspar Matt emulsion

That does make me feel slightly better... smiley

A.

Gary Binnie19/07/2019 19:53:29
515 forum posts
34 photos

Have to admit I've got a few in the loft that are 'in progress'!

This will be a good model once the bugs are ironed out.

It was initially prone to nosing over on take off and flew with full up trim, I removed a strip of lead from the firewall which improved it a lot (CG still within limits).

Percy Verance19/07/2019 21:05:31
8109 forum posts
155 photos

Vinegar Dave

You didn't need to go to America to see genuine WW1 aircraft. There is a whole collection of them at the Shuttleworth Collection in Bedfordshire. They have quite a few rare examples too, such as a 1917 Bristol Fighter, still in full flying trim. It has the oldest Rolls Royce aero engine still flying anywhere in the world. There's a nice 1909 Bleriot too, plus a 1912 Blackburn Monoplane, all fully airworthy.......plus many others. They have an Me 163 Komet in there as well. There are just three of those left on the planet......

Edited By Percy Verance on 19/07/2019 21:07:23

Outrunner19/07/2019 21:26:25
35 forum posts
2 photos
Posted by Percy Verance on 19/07/2019 21:05:31:

Vinegar Dave

You didn't need to go to America to see genuine WW1 aircraft. There is a whole collection of them at the Shuttleworth Collection in Bedfordshire. They have quite a few rare examples too, such as a 1917 Bristol Fighter, still in full flying trim. It has the oldest Rolls Royce aero engine still flying anywhere in the world. There's a nice 1909 Bleriot too, plus a 1912 Blackburn Monoplane, all fully airworthy.......plus many others. They have an Me 163 Komet in there as well. There are just three of those left on the planet......

Edited By Percy Verance on 19/07/2019 21:07:23

They have a bit of a Me 163 Me163 Komet... But they have a complete airworthy DH88 Comet though...

Phil

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us