Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

FrSky Taranis - user chat

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bearair22/10/2013 18:52:56
386 forum posts
22 photos

It was a group of silly old men who wanted to fly electric on a National Trust site, they were used to getting their way by bullying people with sacastic comments and veiled threats. Personally I think their threats of shooting me down and how they had done it to others was just more rubbish BUT I was flying F3F gliders and 4m scale ships so I was not prepared to put others lives at risk.

Ironically they went to the BMFA saying I had bullied them, but that did not work either, and the last time I saw them I was no longer the target of their abuse but their old club chairman had taken my spot!

Roger

Andy Butler25/11/2013 14:14:06
455 forum posts
384 photos

I have just ordered a Taranis from Robotbirds - they have a few in stock so if you're quick you might be lucky.

I have an A9 which I'll use for power flying and the Taranis for glider guiding.

Well that's my Christmas present sorted!

Former Member07/12/2013 12:00:23

[This posting has been removed]

Geoff S23/12/2013 12:40:39
3765 forum posts
36 photos
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 15/08/2013 10:26:59:

A quick warning to anyone who has or intends to get the new Taranis transmitter from FrSky - use only the supplied charger or a similar 'dumb' 12v half amp supply to charge the supplied battery in situ.

Someone on another forum tried to use an intelligent charger set to 1A and it didn't like it! The Taranis has a built in charge system which will regulate the charge to 400mA or so, an intelligent charger connected externally will keep ramping up the voltage in an attempt to force the selected current through, doing much badness to the internal charge circuitry in the transmitter!

smiley I am that man. With a lot of help I eventually identified the fault as a blown MOSFET on the main board which I replaced. It's a surface mount component which made it tricky but I've been using my Taranis in anger for some time since without a problem. Actually the fault never stopped the transmitter from working; it just stopped it shutting down properly when turned off. I bought a second Taranis so now I have 2 ... and charge my batteries externally.

It's the time of year for indoor flying and I have a couple of small helicopters, a Blade 120SR and a WL Toys V911. Neither use FrSky technology but the JR compatible plug-in makes it possible to fly both with my Taranis. I have an Orange DSMX module for the Blade and a FlySky for the V911. Both work perfectly.

Until I got the Taranis I was using a FrSky DiY module with my Multiplex3030 as well as a Futaba FF7 Super (the old original) with a FrSky plug in. On the Mux I had always programmed a switch as either a throttle cut for ic engines or a throttle inhibit for electric so I've done the same on the Taranis. I also have verbal warnings ("Engine On" ) if the throttle is enabled and the message "Throttle Hold" when it's off.

One timer is set on a switch to give total flight time and the other uses the throttle % option to give me a feel for battery use. I've only used it for electric flight so far.

I have yet to try telemetry as I don't have any suitable receivers but that's the next step for me. I'm now fairly comfortable with the programming but I've still got a lot learn. I've just scratched the surface.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 23/12/2013 12:43:21

Bob Cotsford23/12/2013 14:21:51
8746 forum posts
489 photos

Hi Geoff, that's very honest of you, owning up to maiming your transmitter like that. The receiver supply voltage feed from D and X series receivers is generally as much telemetry as I want unless the model uses a regulator, then I want battery voltage. Saying that, I am tempted to get a vario for the Cularis. Thin end of the wedge?

Frank Skilbeck23/12/2013 14:29:17
4813 forum posts
107 photos

Bob, I've not got a Taranis but do use a (different make) vario on my gliders, well worth getting, but as you say the thin end of the wedge, but no point having the technology if you don't use it.

No rush though, there's not much rising warm air at the moment wink

Bob Cotsford23/12/2013 14:30:04
8746 forum posts
489 photos

lot's of it moving horizontally though!  I did have a home-made vario unit based on one that appeared on RCG, it was a bit crude but did show promise.  It really needed the software refining a bit more but as there are ready made units available now I might give one of those a try when H9 get the add-on A2 analogue adapters boards in (X8R2Analogue).

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 23/12/2013 14:34:22

Geoff S23/12/2013 15:09:46
3765 forum posts
36 photos
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 23/12/2013 14:21:51:

Hi Geoff, that's very honest of you, owning up to maiming your transmitter like that. The receiver supply voltage feed from D and X series receivers is generally as much telemetry as I want unless the model uses a regulator, then I want battery voltage. Saying that, I am tempted to get a vario for the Cularis. Thin end of the wedge?

Well, I needed the help I got from RCMF members and openrcforums smiley I'm a retired electronics design engineer and I like to know how much energy I'm putting into a battery when I charge it. At the time it seemed a good idea but when I found it wasn't I tried to warn others.

Flight battery voltage is worth knowing in an electric model but I find I usually land well before the danger level for a LiPo. That's 8 to 10 minutes with my Riot, Fun Cub, Acrowot FoamE etc and a lot more with the Blizzard. I think RSSI (Received Signal Strength Indication) might be more useful, particularly in gliders when at altitude or, of course, in case of problems.

Geoff

Bob Cotsford23/12/2013 19:26:36
8746 forum posts
489 photos

I'm paranoid about battery voltage since having a cell fail in-flight, the Katana nearly got a hole in one on the ninthblush

Golfers can be a grumpy lot can't they?

Engine Doctor03/01/2014 17:07:20
2587 forum posts
40 photos

I know exactly how you feel ! lost a cracking leo due a cell packing up. I now fit two packs with diodes fitted in the harness for a back up . Fortunately my Leo was in a knife edge when it went dead so I only had to go a couple of hundred feet into a nearby field to collect the wreckage sad .Had it been in level flight it would probably gone on for miles

RichFR17/01/2014 18:45:17
139 forum posts

I am seriously thinking about getting a Taranis have been reading about them most of the day.
Whatever I buy its a big learning curve for me not just programming/setting up the TX actually learning what it does in reality (I am new to RC flying) Duel rates and Expo is all I change at the moment.
I like the telemetry too.

Might wait a few weeks see if there is any sign of the Plus versions turning up that mush rain here at the moment cant fly anyway frown

Edited By RichFR on 17/01/2014 18:46:17

Edited By RichFR on 17/01/2014 18:46:43

Geoff S17/01/2014 20:50:51
3765 forum posts
36 photos

Are Taranis transmitters any easier to get than they were a few months ago?

Certainly waiting is sensible if you can't get out flying but you could always use the time to get familiar with the programming. After my little contretemps I bought a second Taranis and I use the one I repaired for indoor flying and the other for more serious stuff. If the wait time for a newer version is anything like the wait for the current one then I would think it's not likely to be available in the next few months.

Another useful option is to download Companion9x which simulates the Taranis and will allow you to become familiar with its programming quirks. It's a free download and available from openrcforums.

http://openrcforums.com/forum

Geoff

RichFR18/01/2014 16:38:37
139 forum posts

Thanks Geoff I had downloaded the Companion software but have only had a quick look. I imagine it looks worse than it is. Loads of tutorials on YouTube to get me going. As I said am learning from the beginning what everything does regardless of the type of TX.
I will be using it on a Bixler 2 at first so will get to play with flap adjustment and maybe mixes for them too.
Do people share their profiles for particular planes too? I know they would need some adjusting but maybe a starting point.

When I first looked at least one place had them in stock but they are all sold out now so maybe hard to get hold of. I did read something about FrSky building a new factory that should be open early this year that will speed production up.

Former Member18/01/2014 20:51:01

Ian Jones19/01/2014 12:34:39
3229 forum posts
1401 photos

Andy... are you using the stock firmware or have you installed one of the open source ones?

Just had a quick look at the online manual and the built in features look quite extensive.

Ian

Geoff S19/01/2014 13:21:04
3765 forum posts
36 photos
Posted by Ian Jones on 19/01/2014 12:34:39:

Andy... are you using the stock firmware or have you installed one of the open source ones?

Just had a quick look at the online manual and the built in features look quite extensive.

Ian

I did download some later firmware from openrcforums but it doesn't seem any different from that supplied by FrSky except for the startup picture.

I've also downloaded and printed about 3 manuals from a variety of sources which offer some help with the various programming options. In the end, there's no substitute for experimenting with a real model in the workshop before flying to try it out.

My only gripe with the Taranis is its physical layout and that grip would apply to any conventional transmitter is how close together the control sticks are. I've been using a Multiplex 3030 for years and I like the sense of space I get with this bigger layout. This wouldn't affect 90% of users but my right hand doesn't work as well as it might because of a spinal chord injury and I find the bigger transmitter more comfortable. I'm getting used to it though.

Geoff

Former Member19/01/2014 13:32:07

Spice Cat19/01/2014 14:10:08
1304 forum posts
129 photos

I was up at the strip today and it was mentioned that an upgraded version called 'Taranis Plus' was on the way. I have long erred against buying the V1 of any model.

Anyone else heard of this?????

Regards

RichFR19/01/2014 14:56:37
139 forum posts

Yes its on their website but no exact date.

PatMc19/01/2014 15:05:37
4470 forum posts
548 photos

The Horus Tx is due out some time after April this year.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!