By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

FrSky Taranis - user chat

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter Christy26/01/2020 13:35:40
1666 forum posts

Gonzo: Just to clarify - its the firmware update to the X series receivers that appears to disable D8 mode, not updating OpenTx. And this only applies to the latest firmware update that is covered in this thread:

**LINK**

MikeB is the expert on this. I don't know if its possible that a future update may restore D8 back-compatibility. Basically there is a limited amount of memory available for the firmware. In the past that has been sufficient to support two protocols. I'm guessing that the major update means that there is now only space for one. Its also possible that a future update may restore D8.

Of course, it could also be that FrSky are trying to "phase out" D8 - I have no inside information on this. However, it *could* be that since they have introduced their new Access protocol, they are trying to ditch the legacy ones. Only time will tell!

--

Pete

Edited By Peter Christy on 26/01/2020 13:37:31

Mike Blandford26/01/2020 15:06:42
573 forum posts
22 photos

I've updated a X9D and a X9D+ to the new (v2.0.1) firmware together with a X8R.

Both bind OK to a D8 receiver. The X8R, in D8 mode, does not bind to either Tx, nor to a DJT nor to a XJT module with pre 2.0.1 firmware.

FrSky informed me that, as D8 mode is no longer legal in Europe for new products, they are phasing D8 out, which is why the X8R, with 2.0.1, does not bind in D8 mode.

Mike

Peter Christy26/01/2020 16:40:54
1666 forum posts

Mike: I don't think D8 *receivers* are a problem, legally speaking. Bearing in mind that the LBT requirement only applies if the MUF is over 10%. The erp of the receiver telemetry signal will almost certainly be below 100mW - 60mW absolute top, I would guess - and the telemetry signal is only transmitted for a small period of the "frame", I would be surprised if the MUF of the receivers exceeded the 10% limit.

Yes, D8 transmitters don't meet the current legislation, but I would be surprised if there was a legal problem with the receivers.

--

Pete

Peter Christy26/01/2020 16:41:42
1666 forum posts

P.S. I see you mention 2.0.1! Is there a revision already?

--

Pete

GONZO26/01/2020 16:46:24
1352 forum posts
14 photos

Thanks for the replies and information. I'm just trying to ascertain if I can safely update my Taranis X9D to OpenTx 2.3.5 from 2.0.13(I know its old but it worked for me. Don't fix what isn't broke) without compromising/loosing any legacy facilities(internal protocols like LH12 etc) and the ability to accept old external modules like DJT, XJT, Futaba FASST(Robbe 12ch version), ImmersionRC 433mHz, and OrangeRx. I also don't want to flash Rx's(there's lots of them) if at all possible. This would then hopefully allow me to use the recently acquired TP 4in1 multi protocol module(updated to 1.3.0.53) in place of a bag of different modules.

Edited By GONZO on 26/01/2020 16:47:50

Tim Ballinger26/01/2020 17:47:34
676 forum posts
266 photos

Peter,

I think I have only ever seen 2.0.1 listed since this first went public on 14 Jan .

Tim

Mike Blandford26/01/2020 19:15:18
573 forum posts
22 photos

I did check D8 receiver telemetry and concluded they may not be legal. D8 operates differently to D16.

The Tx sends control data 3 times at 9mS intervals, then the Rx uses the 4th 9mS interval to send the telemetry data, and uses quite a few mS to do so. I believe the Rx transmits at the same power level as the Tx, so the MUF did, very likely, exceed 10%.

Mike

Bob Cotsford26/01/2020 19:21:29
8146 forum posts
449 photos

Gonzo, if you only update Opentx then you should be fine. This is just the operating system and doesn't touch the RF firmware side of things so doesn't need any receiver updates. I don't use external models so I can't swear there are no bugs but I haven't seen any reported!

The comments about version 2.0.1 are referring to a new RF protocol update for the XJT modules and receivers which is a totally separate thing from OpenTX 2.3.5.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 26/01/2020 19:25:22

GONZO26/01/2020 20:08:10
1352 forum posts
14 photos

Thanks Bob, yes I realise the OpenTx is the Tx operating system and does not alter the RF firmware. But, it could limit what you could access/get the RF board to do. Anyway' I've decided that tomorrow I'll bite the bullet and update the Taranis to 2.3.5. I've got a shiny new Jumper T16 Pro Hall with an internal multi module all updated to the latest firmware and with the JR module slot available for any unsupported protocols(FASST etc). I'm going to drag it from the dark ages into the bright light of the present day! I'll report back.

Peter Christy26/01/2020 22:56:27
1666 forum posts

Gonzo:Be careful! I notice you are upgrading from 2.0.13 to 2.3.5.

Whilst OpenTx will upgrade fine, any model settings you have stored are unlikely to survive such a huge jump! The way the model files are stored has changed quite a bit since 2.0.xx.

Make sure that all your models are backed up to your PC before you upgrade! I've only just got home, and its too late to give any advice now, but if you have backed all your models up to a PC, you should be able to recover them if anything goes wrong!

Also note that the SD card format is different for 2.3! You will need to use the new SD card version as well, so back up your SD card before you reformat it to the new version - just in case!

I don't know anyone that has attempted to go straight from 2.0 to 2.3, maybe Mike can offer advice, but in the meantime back up all your models and the SD card first!

--

Pete

MattyB27/01/2020 13:05:31
1999 forum posts
30 photos

Hmpppff, switch issues...

I went out to fly last w/e and for the third session running had issues getting my motor armed. On investigation at home it appears the two position non-momentary switch at the top left of my (first batch in the UK) Taranis non-plus  is dicky.

I see T9 have replacements available, but are they the same quality or better now? I have already replaced one 3 pos switch earlier in it's life. Not complaining, would just rather do this once only (have never had switch issues on my previous TXs). Thoughts?

Edited By MattyB on 27/01/2020 13:29:27

Gary Manuel27/01/2020 13:20:58
2058 forum posts
1515 photos

I bought a momentary switch and a 3 position long switch for a HORUS 12S from t9 about 2 months ago. Both look identical to the originals. I see no reason why switches for a Taranis would be any different.

MattyB27/01/2020 13:30:14
1999 forum posts
30 photos

OK cool. Just thought they may have improved the quality as things went along, as I know a number of owners with early model TXs who have had switch failures.

Steve Balaam01/02/2020 19:26:12
114 forum posts

Has anybody taken the plunge and updated the RF Firware to ACCST V2 yet ?

Would be interested if it worked or caused any issues/ problems.

Steve B

Mike Blandford01/02/2020 20:31:21
573 forum posts
22 photos

There are a number of reported problems after updating to V2 firmware, equally others have updated and all is working OK.

Currently, I've update the module in my prototype Taranis, my prototype Taranis+ and a X9E, together with a X8R receiver.

The X9E seems fine, the X9D+ works on some RxNums, but not others, the X9D binds but doesn't work.

My personal opinion is FrSky will soon post a further update, but they won't have been at work for a couple of weeks due to the extended Chinese New Year.

I have sent them my findings, together with detailed technical data, for example, I know why the X9D doesn't work.

Mike

Steve Balaam02/02/2020 11:00:37
114 forum posts

Thank you Mike for your response, just what I was looking for. I shall hold off updating until the whole issue around this update is clarified and a stable update released.

Am I correct in assuming that a Horus X10/ X12 running OpenTx can have it's RF board updated as long as OpenTx V 2.3.X is installed ?

Peter Christy02/02/2020 13:40:15
1666 forum posts

I believe there is an updated board for the X10, but having looked at what is required to install it, I'm not going to bother! It doesn't appear to be a simple board swap.

And at the moment, no-one seems to have the receivers in stock, so the whole thing is probably a pointless exercise at present!
Mike: Thanks for all your hard work on this!
Personally, I haven't had any issues with the standard D16 protocol to date, and I suspect that the issues in Germany, Austria and Switzerland may have as much to do with local issues as anything else. I accept that there may be a bug in the system, but it only appears to manifest itself under very specific circumstances, possibly due to the local issues mentioned above.
I'm certainly not going to be upgrading anytime soon. Maybe when a revised version comes along I'll consider it, but my gut feeling is to stick with what has proven to be very reliable for the present!
--
Pete
Bob Cotsford02/02/2020 15:53:03
8146 forum posts
449 photos
Posted by Steve Balaam on 02/02/2020 11:00:37:

Thank you Mike for your response, just what I was looking for. I shall hold off updating until the whole issue around this update is clarified and a stable update released.

Am I correct in assuming that a Horus X10/ X12 running OpenTx can have it's RF board updated as long as OpenTx V 2.3.X is installed ?

Updating the Horus is possible but you need the RF firmeware for iXJT only, not the full version as that includes their operating system firmware as well as the RF side. Luckily a Dutch chap has extracted the old versions in case you need to roll back and put them in his repository here.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 02/02/2020 16:00:35

Chris Bott - Moderator02/02/2020 16:20:38
6707 forum posts
1392 photos
1 articles

As I'm more and more prone to "senior moments" (I think) can I just clarify what we're talking about here? If I'm wrong, please correct me.

1. Recent chat has been about the ACCST D16 2.X.X RF module update that FrSky have recently released to fix a pretty rare bug.
  2. Most people who have, have installed this without issues but some have had problems. In particular with early (none plus). Taranis X9D.
  3. The RF firmware is available from FrSky and can be installed from OpenTx if you have latest OpenTx.
  4. Bob's link above is to a version of the RF code that you'd need should you wish to revert back to the original ACCST V1.
  5. ACCESS is a completely different new system that's appearing on new transmitters. There's also a Horus X10 hardware upgrade for ACCESS.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 02/02/2020 17:00:26

Chris Bott - Moderator02/02/2020 16:30:16
6707 forum posts
1392 photos
1 articles

Also -

1. Upgradingto ACCST V2 needs doing on TX and Rx before they will work together so once Tx is done, all Rx will need doing.
  2. Upgrading appears to remove the D8 protocol.
  3. Upgrading stops any compatibility with clone equipment. Cynics might suggest that this is FrSky's motivation all along.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sussex Model Centre
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
CADMA
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us