Dereck Woodward

Sad news.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tim Hooper29/08/2013 13:06:39
2866 forum posts
2363 photos

From another forum;

It's my sad duty to report that Dereck Woodward passed away Wednesday night, after a long battle with mesothelioma.

Many of us knew Dereck from his monthly column on the US Electric scene, "Over Here", in the UK magazine Quiet and Electric Flight International. There will be a memorial for him in the magazine, probably in the November issue.

Dereck's unique, British sense of humour didn't always make sense to many of us, but those of us who knew him personally could always sense the twinkle in his eye and the mischievous grin behind his writings.

Bill Bowne

ken anderson.29/08/2013 14:07:42
8502 forum posts
773 photos

god bless Derek................ tim........he used to make me laugh with his columns all them years ago when i first started with radio control models....he was an inspiration also......

ken anderson.....ne....1

Bob Cotsford29/08/2013 14:28:25
8133 forum posts
449 photos

Another out and out good guy gone. Very sad, maybe we should add a tailless model item to the next fly-in in his memory.

A DW design 'Little Bit'

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 29/08/2013 14:39:46

Chris Bott - Moderator29/08/2013 14:31:50
6703 forum posts
1392 photos
1 articles

Very sad news indeed.

Danny Fenton29/08/2013 14:46:48
9300 forum posts
4125 photos

Thanks for letting us know Tim, I had missed that. Very sad news indeed, I will miss his column.

Danny

kc29/08/2013 19:01:21
6165 forum posts
169 photos
It's really sad news.
Dereck was a prolific designer of model aircraft and his designs seemed to be in all the English RC magazines over the years. Perhaps a ' DW' day at one of the model shows for his designs would be appropriate?
pete taylor29/08/2013 19:04:53
348 forum posts
162 photos

That really is sad news. A great designer and a very funny and thoroughly human guy.

God bless you Dereck

Jack Banner04/12/2013 14:56:48
332 forum posts
43 photos

Does anyone know of a resource listing his plans (and where to get them) from over the years? I flew a 'Bigga Bit' last month (great fun and crazy spins) as my father and his flying club have recently re-discovered them and it is now firmly on my to be built list, I managed to get hold of a copy of Radio Modeller for that plan. I understand he had quite a few plans published over the years and it would be good to see some of the others.

I found a thread on his 'VSP' on RCGroups **LINK**

and I understand that it was published in QEFI March 2010.

Anyone know of any more?

Martin Harris04/12/2013 15:25:54
9038 forum posts
224 photos

Amy is pretty much top of my list of "must repairs" this winter and is a lively lass that respects a firm hand - but very rewarding when she's in the mood. Unfortunately her little wheels tripped over a clump of grass a couple of years ago and she broke her back - but we have the technology...

Some more here

Edited By Martin Harris on 04/12/2013 15:38:22

David Davis04/12/2013 15:34:55
3513 forum posts
628 photos

That is sad news. I don't think he was that old. I met him once in the model shop in Barnstaple. He had come into town on his bicycle.

Sic transit.

Jack Banner04/12/2013 16:49:09
332 forum posts
43 photos

Thanks Martin, that link to the my hobby store search was just what I wanted. I think my father has a half built Amy in his workshop. Might have a chat with him about that over Christmas

kc04/12/2013 18:57:15
6165 forum posts
169 photos
Lots of DW designs were shall we say 'functional'... but 2 of the best looking were Lil Joanna and Amelia. Both in Myhobbystores plan service. Worth building I reckon.

Shouldnt we have a DW day at one of the big meetings next year and fly some of Dereck's designs?
Paul Marsh05/12/2013 13:14:45
3788 forum posts
1089 photos

Sad news. I built a Bigga Bit, also and still have it.

Martin Harris05/12/2013 14:24:41
9038 forum posts
224 photos
Posted by kc on 04/12/2013 18:57:15:
Lots of DW designs were shall we say 'functional'... but 2 of the best looking were Lil Joanna and Amelia. Both in Myhobbystores plan service. Worth building I reckon.

Shouldnt we have a DW day at one of the big meetings next year and fly some of Dereck's designs?

Well Amy is a wonderful looking example of his work and inspired by the reappearance of this thread I've started the rebuild this morning. Some minor repairs to the wing and a recover should be straightforward and I'm going to be able to recycle most of the fuselage components with the replacement of the side sheeting/doublers and top decking.

I shall be tracing those parts from the plan in a few minutes...

Alan Randall05/12/2013 16:27:09
446 forum posts
108 photos

Very sad news. I followed Derek's articles for many years until I gave up on Quiet and Electric Flight mag a couple of years ago. I seem to recall he had been a back seat driver on Nimrods.I wonder if it was all the asbestos used as fire retardant and insulation in old jets that got him.

Martin Harris12/02/2014 20:41:13
9038 forum posts
224 photos

As per the post but one above, I have completed the rebuild and Amy is back in one piece and partially re-dressed. Now all I need is a break in the weather to celebrate Dereck's contribution to our hobby...

009.jpg

Jack Banner13/02/2014 09:36:07
332 forum posts
43 photos

That looks fantastic Martin. I have a 90% complete Amy fuselage awaiting it's turn at the moment, I might have to bump it up the build order a bit. I was going to build a 'little bit' with an OS .10 next, but as I already have a 'Bigger Bit' (with OS Max 35 AX nerd  the Amy might be a better choice. Yours really does look very nice indeed, did it fly well previously?

Josip Vrandecic -Mes13/02/2014 11:56:52
2993 forum posts
260 photos

R.I.P.

**LINK**

Martin Harris13/02/2014 13:02:58
9038 forum posts
224 photos
Posted by Jack Banner on 13/02/2014 09:36:07:

That looks fantastic Martin. I have a 90% complete Amy fuselage awaiting it's turn at the moment, I might have to bump it up the build order a bit. I was going to build a 'little bit' with an OS .10 next, but as I already have a 'Bigger Bit' (with OS Max 35 AX nerd the Amy might be a better choice. Yours really does look very nice indeed, did it fly well previously?

Thanks Jack. She's a rewarding little model to fly but does need a firm hand at times - much like you would with something like a Pitts Special. You will need to ensure the C of G is correct. You really notice little difference in flight from a conventional model but I would agree with Dereck's opinion that she's difficult to spin unless, as I know from experience, the C of G is uncomfortably rearward.

I have a copy of the build article - PM me if you'd like a copy.

One of the interesting bits of information, bearing in mind earlier references in the thread to Dereck's Amelia design is where the name came from. Apparently, he was in a hurry when he designed Amy and simply used the fuselage formers from Amelia - so a shortened Amelia became Amy...

Keep the speed up reasonably on the approach as although she's reluctant to spin, she will drop a wing if you give her the chance. You won't want to try to stretch a deadstick glide.

I'm flying her with probably the sweetest engine ever - an OS25 FP but have tried larger engines. I came back to the 25 though as it's fine for power and she flies better at the lighter weight.

Edited By Martin Harris on 13/02/2014 13:07:40

Jack Banner13/02/2014 14:57:36
332 forum posts
43 photos

Hah, yes the G of G on Dereck's tailless models is pretty critical. He posted on a thread on RCGroups and included a few stories from the Radio Modeller days regarding incorrect C of G on his models. Indeed the Bigga Bit that I have was initially a little too exciting when first flown by my father.

Can I ask how you got on with cutting the ribs for the wings on Amy? It is the only thing I am unsure about as he describes, in the build article, using a modified sandwich method to get a consistent profile but with varying lengths for the ribs. Can you shed any light on it as I haven't used it before having only built flat panel wings (as favoured by Nigel Hawes) or pre-cut ones from kits.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us