By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Hi all

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
trik05/09/2013 22:37:20
8 forum posts

Hi everyone, I am new to the hobby. I live in east midlands, between Doncaster and Worksop.

Years ago while I was still at school I wanted a radio controlled airplane,but never could afford one.

I tried rc cars for a while, but now I want to get myself an airplane. I am considering electric foamies at the moment., as a cost effective way into the hobby. I am also shopping around for a controller. Still early days yet!!

Patyes

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator05/09/2013 23:01:24
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Hi Pat, welcome to the forum. Lots of good guidance here - check out the beginners advice threads here.

BEB

Ade Eades (Eadsie)05/09/2013 23:15:01
108 forum posts
17 photos

Hello & Welcome smiley tis a good site for info / tips etc... i'm new to this as well.....i have a foam jet & foam plane, years ago i made a balsa 'band driven' plane, cant remember the name of it. i will build my own soon...just need some space in the shed smile p

Ade

Edited By Ade Eades (Eadsie) on 05/09/2013 23:15:17

Bob Archbold06/09/2013 20:24:06
65 forum posts

Hi Pat!

As BEB and Ade have said, you have come to the right place for advice and even inspiration....

When it's late in the day and a building problem is doing your head in, just post your problem and I'll bet its a problem solved in a jiffy (whatever one of those is...).

You will often feel that you need to ask a question that you may think others will laugh at but, as they say, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.... but it is true.

Good luck with the hobby and we all look forward to hearing of your exploits.... have you got any models in mind?

Bob

trik07/09/2013 03:39:26
8 forum posts

Thanks for dropping in guys, no I havent got any firm ideas yet, but I think I am tending towards an electric powered glider of some description, or maybe a self build such as some of the models the "flite test" chaps designed..

Gyrocopters fascinate me too, so maybe something along those lines.

As for radio gear the flyskys look good value,but all depends on funds.

Ernie07/09/2013 09:32:27
2542 forum posts
24 photos

Hi trik, have you considered building a trainer from a kit? It will take a bit of time, but the grin when you fly it will be much larger

ernie

ken anderson.07/09/2013 09:39:07
8752 forum posts
810 photos

wellcome from me pat................

ken anderson ne..1 ......wellcome dept..

Tony Bennett07/09/2013 10:18:46
5082 forum posts
129 photos

welcome sir.

trik07/09/2013 18:54:49
8 forum posts

Thanks guys, I have considered trainers, but cost is a major concern at present, and the foamy self builds are nearer to my current budget wink

Pat

Steve Goodwin07/09/2013 19:58:34
160 forum posts
15 photos

Hi trik, welcome.

Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question !

Steve

trik12/09/2013 08:05:05
8 forum posts

what type of airplane will keep my interest as my ability and confidence increases? I am tending to think about an electric glider of some description, as I would like to maximise the amount of "air time" I can get from my model.

Is there much difference between a glider used for slope soaring and a glider used for thermal soaring?

Can anyone recommend any specific aircraft I can research?

Many thanks

Pat indecision

Ernie12/09/2013 09:04:53
2542 forum posts
24 photos

Hi Trik, Do you want to build your electric glider, or do you want it to be ready to fly? If you are going to build, The DB Atrain is very good, or if you want something a bit bigger, and very beautiful, you can electrify the Bird of Time

ernie

.12/09/2013 09:21:42
53 forum posts
1 photos

Welcome, enjoy the forum, plenty of good stuff on here

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator12/09/2013 22:03:07
6765 forum posts
197 photos

Biggest difference between slope & thermal gliders is the wing loading Pat......thermal soarers are more lightly loaded so they will fly slower & stay up longer......some slope models have wing loadings way in excess of large warbirds but these are usually flown in very strong winds by hooligans....wink 2

Glider purists will probably beat me sensless with rolled up copies of BARCS News but I wonder if the Hobbyking Phoenix 2000 might float your boat? In terms of bang for your buck its hard to beat & its very popular amongst the members of this forum.....in fact we did wonder about making ownership of a Phoenix 2000 compulsary before you could join. (no not really....teeth 2)

Search for "Phoenix 2000" in the search box....

trik14/09/2013 14:02:35
8 forum posts

Thanks for the ideas guys, I've been having a look at the Phoenix 2000 on YouTube, looks to be exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of. I also found mention of a Phoenix Evolution,which also looks good. Does anyone have any experience of this model, and do you know if it is still available? Does it have any drawbacks? I haven't been able to find a retailer for this model, but there is a supplier "Lanyu", (now Volantexrc). It comes with two sets of wings, one shorter set for aerobatic flying, and a longer set for soaring, but it looks to be based on the Phoenix family of gliders.

The skyrider, looks similar, but has a pusher prop, not a nose prop. is there any advantage/disadvantage to these arrangements?

Thanks for your time. A lot of questions I know, but it seems that every answer gives rise to a dozen more !!

Josip Vrandecic -Mes14/09/2013 16:58:48
2993 forum posts
260 photos

Hello Pat,welcome and greetings from Adriatic sea...No hurry, you have all the time for everything...face 1

Cheers

Joe

trik14/09/2013 17:05:56
8 forum posts

Hi Joe, thanks for the message smiley

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!