Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Cox powered gentle lady

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
wayne drinkwater28/09/2013 02:27:22
132 forum posts
43 photos

Hi this week I acquired a second hand Gentle lady glider with a COX 049 and powerpod banded on to the wings ,from an old guy whos eyesight is failing its very well made with a minor dings.

here is the thing has anyone flown one with the 049 power it does look a bit on the underpowered side of things, but would be handy just a squirt of fuel and up she goes.

I have replaced the switch etc as it had the dreaded blackwire, but i thought as it is an old school model 2.4 would spoil it so i have dragged my old Futaba Challenger 35 meg set out of retirement

Edited By wayne drinkwater on 28/09/2013 02:27:50

Down Under28/09/2013 09:06:13
67 forum posts

Hi Wayne

22 years ago a built a Gentle Lady, and what a beautiful glider she was. A friend at the time loaned me a TD .051 on a pod, and it did a good job of getting her some reasonable altitude. A TD.049 or a Cox Black Widow on a 20% nitro would probably do the job, but I think most of the other Cox 0.049's would be lacking a bit in power. I don't imagine you would get to much climb on a tank.

wayne drinkwater28/09/2013 09:25:25
132 forum posts
43 photos

no thats what I was thinking , our club has actually outlawed Cox engines because of the ear bleeding noise they emit, but we do allow the occasional use for "experimental " purposes so I will give it a go

wayne drinkwater28/09/2013 09:53:34
132 forum posts
43 photos

here is a photo it cost me a measly $60 NZ about 30 quid so I am well pleasedgentle lady.jpg

Down Under28/09/2013 11:33:03
67 forum posts

Great for $60NZ. Think the covering alone cost me that when I built one.

Actually, I just bought another kit about 6 months ago. Purely for nostoligic reasons.

I intend to put an electric motor in th nose though with folding prop to avoid the need fiddle with bungies or nitro engines. Even thinking about put some flaps on the wings too. Seen some one do it on RC universe. Helps to land it in very small spaces.

wayne drinkwater28/09/2013 19:36:44
132 forum posts
43 photos

Funny yesterday I won another one a partly made kit ( the person built up the tail feathers before putting it in the too hard basket) the kit cost me $5 more than the built up one, but I will probably fit spoilers into the wing and a brushless set up in the nose

Malcolm Fisher28/09/2013 19:51:05
618 forum posts
7 photos

I also had a Gentle Lady and stupidly gave it to another club mate years ago. As for power pods, I have two which I used with it - both diesel engines. One has a DC Merlin .75cc and the other a PAW 80. The Paw was the better as it had a bit more power and a longer engine run with its separate tank as opposed to the Merlin with its integral tank. The Merlin ran for about two minuts whereas the PAW gave about six minutes. Each gave a reasonable height gain from a flat field and I could manage some quite long flights when there was thermal activity.

Malcolm

wayne drinkwater29/09/2013 04:31:32
132 forum posts
43 photos

good idea a diesel would be ideal as there would be no need for a battery just a can of fuel

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator29/09/2013 17:48:15
6720 forum posts
189 photos

A Cox motor will drag it up just fine Wayne....but do remember that you will need high nitro fuel for this motor.

Alternatively why not remove the Cox & fit a small brushless motor & Lipo....with a bit of ingenuity you could fashion a pod to take the motor, ESC & battery...then all you sould need would be a connection to the throttle channel & hey presto...convenient, clean & quiet power up to soaring height.....you'd need quite a high kv motor though so you could utilise a 6 inch prop like the Cox.

wayne drinkwater29/09/2013 19:07:39
132 forum posts
43 photos

good idea worth a try , I will probably build the next one with a brushless built into the nose, but our club has regular glider competitions so I need to keep one as a glider for the winch launch, although we do allow electric models to compete but they are restricted to a 20m second run

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us