Forum sponsored by CML

Seagull Lancair Legacy 70"

Seagull's reno racer

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
ARC01/10/2013 22:21:37
205 forum posts
79 photos

Has anyone got one of these? SWM were doing a cracking deal on these recently. Decided to get one of the reno race replicas as too good to miss but not a lot out there in terms of reviews or even youtube offerings.

Kits nicely built and very solid, oleo retracting trike struts and flaps are a nice touch. Removable top hatch opens up a huge area big enough for any combo of electric set ups. Very similar in build to the grob tutor

Auw is offered around the 9.5lb mark .

Early tests look good for power 110 on 8s with a 16x10 3 blader, should be up in the 170-200w per lb range I reckon.

Anyone any info

Andy

ARC04/10/2013 19:10:01
205 forum posts
79 photos

Kits coming on nicely, but the closed loop system for the elevator and twin servos a bit overkill for this, so opted for a single servo on a 3mm control rod utilising an elevator joiner. Works well and saves a little weight. Going for same option on the rudder to simplify things.

Decal alignment is a little out on the cowl to fus line up but can be sorted no probs

The 110 fits nicely with 10mm standoffs to bring it the the 150mm recommended length. Three blade 16x8 with a 82mm alloy spinner looks the part. After maiden if all's well will spray the prop white and tip the blades with red bands to mimic the real thing.

E-flite 120's going in next to replace the mechanical retracts. The mechs are fine but require three separate servos to operate which is a lkittle complex in the set up, so e-flites are the order of the day.

Increased the wheels diam by 1/4 inch also to give a better taxing ability on grass. With all this rain our strip's going to be as boggy as hell.

ARC27/10/2013 09:24:45
205 forum posts
79 photos

Well the Lancair is finished just got position the flight batt to get the cg correct. going with 10mm forward initialy and see how it goes.

Had a major issue with wing alignment. The wings would seat perfectly against the fus with out the ali tube stiffner but when it was inserted , the leading edge would pull away from the fus and like wise with the opposite wing but the trailing edge this time.

It looks like the the fibreglass wing tube retainer is slightly off centre , throwing the wings out. Sorted now by fitting a couple of ply plates in the wing rib and securing with blind nuts in the fus. Pulls it in just nicely.

Otherwise the kit was quite good. Unusual for Seagull as I've found the latest offerings needed a fair amount of work to sort them out. Will get some pics up today .

Stephen Grigg27/10/2013 14:41:07
8691 forum posts
1128 photos

Can we have a photo or to please ARC

john melia 127/10/2013 15:35:39
1770 forum posts
24 photos

Heres a youtube vid of it , think it crashes at the end face 21 ......................................

Edited By john melia 1 on 27/10/2013 15:37:10

Stephen Grigg27/10/2013 22:44:37
8691 forum posts
1128 photos

Thanks John,an unusual looking model and thin wings .And it looks a s if it tip stalled and crashed as you say.Possibly BEB could tell us if its the wings need a bit of speed.

ARC28/10/2013 23:15:03
205 forum posts
79 photos

Hi Guys,

A few pics as promised. Had to take them indoors as too dark by the time I get home from work so its difficult to appreciate the size of thing. specs are 70 inch span and 11lb auw on a power 110 on 8s, 16X10 MAS 3 blader with a ali spinner and e-flite 120 size trike gear.

Still not happy with the one wing fitting. I might expoxy this perm and remove the other wing and tube for transport.

Will hopefully maiden this weekend if the wind drops and the strips not water logged.

img_1.jpg

img_2.jpg

img_3.jpg

img_4.jpg

ARC02/11/2013 08:08:16
205 forum posts
79 photos

looks like the wind and rain's eased off for a few hrs today, so will hopefully maiden if the strips not too boggy...........................fingers crosseddont know

ARC02/11/2013 12:03:18
205 forum posts
79 photos

Maiden report.

No go today , I think a combination of a slight nose down attitude and a very wet & boggy strip hampered lifting off. Plenty of power but just cutting troughs through the long grass. Looked more like a fast lawnmower than a reno racer lol.

Going alter the nose leg a little to give a more" nose up" look and wait for a better day (if we ever get one)

Few pics to enjoy.

img_02.11.2013.jpg

img_nov13.1.jpg

img_nov13.3.jpg

img_nov13.4.jpg

img_nov13.5.jpg

img_nov13.6.jpg

Paul Marsh02/11/2013 12:36:59
3703 forum posts
1050 photos

I've just finished the Sportaman. Do like the Lancair, I have the smaller Richmodel one, which flies well, but doesn't have retracts or flaps...

ARC02/11/2013 19:12:20
205 forum posts
79 photos

Hi Paul,

Was looking at the sportaman, swm were doing a good price on the these but was really after a warbird. Settled in the end for a BH Stuka.

The lancair looks nice and a nice wide track should help with ground handling. Got to fettle the nose leg a little as it tends to "give "a little which then tips the nose down. I'm sure the boggy ground is making it 100% worse though.

I think the sportman , grob and lancair all have a similar build and internal structure but from johns clip above the lancair looks like it will need flying all the in.

Mike Rowe05/11/2013 13:35:53
22 forum posts
3 photos

Hi ARC,

I bought one in the same sale but I have not had time to finish it yet, I have built it as instructions, Seagull seam to have different length centimeters to us but other than that, it is progressing well, I am using a ASP 120 4stroke, what about you, and have you flown it yet?

Mike

ARC05/11/2013 18:18:06
205 forum posts
79 photos

Hi Mike,

No not had chance yet. Mines come in a touch heavy i think and my nose strut was at the wrong angle allowing the nose to dip a little. Combined with a wet and boggy strip it wouldn't lift off. Plenty of power, meter showed 1980watts at 64amps so more than enough. Our strip will be permanently mushy now for a while so no maiden for a bit I reckon.

The build was ok , nothing difficult but dropped the pull pull cables and went with solid rods for elevator and rudder. Also altered how one of the flap servo mounts to the plate so no mixing on my tx was needed.

I think the thin wing chord will mean you've got to keep airflow over the wings constantly. Fly it all the way in by the looks of it. It does like nice tho doesn't it and for the price.........

Andy

Mike Rowe09/04/2014 07:22:41
22 forum posts
3 photos

Hi Andy,

Mine has been all finished for over 2 months now but I have been too busy or the weather has been bad so I have still not flown it.

How are you getting on, have you flown it yet?

Mike

ARC10/04/2014 13:32:38
205 forum posts
79 photos

Hi Mike,

Yes its flown.Flew with the 3 blader and a 4 blader both on 8s. Its quick and quite sharp in response. dailed in 40% expo on the elevator and 50% on rudder.

Feels lighter in flight than its actual weight. Looks nice on sharp steep banks and low passes. Due to the thin wing I didn't attempt a stall but suffice to say on landing with full flaps it slowed down quite well with no shocks. Need to fly it in tho all the way.

Duration wise I saw 8.5 mins with two dummy runs on landing. putting back in 3100 to 3500 on 5000mah lipos so quite pleased there.

Struts are holding up well and gear doors on mains are still on !!!!

On tip was to increase the angle forward on the nose leg, otherwise it digs in and puts a strain on the retract.

Nice plane all in all and looks terrific .

Andy

Flint23/07/2014 16:19:22
5 forum posts

Hello Chaps

I want to step into the Lancair business, too.

This wonderful plane with its sleek lines is more or less unknown here in Germany.

But what don't want to do is, be the beta tester for an expensive and not fully developted RC plane.

Already did this job with my last plane and don't want to do it again...

So, are there any more flights to tell about?

Was the integration for the eflite 120 gear without any problems?

Regarding the flight envelope, is this as impressive as with the original Legacy?

Or is the approach and landing speed a "little" bit on the fast side? The wing load is just as high as for a warbird.

You see, a lot of questions. But I need to be sure before putting a good amount of money on the table for this modell.

Best Regards from Munich,

Flint

ARC25/07/2014 13:34:40
205 forum posts
79 photos

Hi Flint ,

Mines still going strong the only weekness is the front nose leg. It needs re-enforcing or alter the angle to help with the "heaveir" landings.

The actual retracts fitted in no problem and I fashioned some gear doors out of plastic sheet.

I have since the maiden experemented with a 4 blade prop which increases Amps but gave a better flight and helped slow it down better. The flaps have very little affect to be honest , but as you thought its very similar to a warbird and has to be flown all the way in.

Its very smooth in its flight and nothing scary but do watch your speed as it will stall and being 10lb+ thin wing chord it will go sharply.

Otherwise its a nice model and looks lovely in flight.

Andy

Flint25/07/2014 18:18:58
5 forum posts

Hi Andy

Thank you for your answer.

So, looking back, you would consider the Legacy a good buy?

A little bit tricky to fly, maybe a little diva, but after all great fun?

The eflite 120 fits perfect without any modificstion, that is what I hoped to hear

If you look at original Legacy pictures you will notice a visible nose up attitude/trim on ground.

Just like a delta wing.

Do you know Ramoser props from germany? These are props with adjustable pitch. Great!

They have all sizes and from 2-5 blades. And they can also give you good advise in terms in engine - prop selection.

So, I thing, it is time to start making my up for servos, motor and props for this plane

Regards,

Flint

ARC25/07/2014 18:55:55
205 forum posts
79 photos

Hi Flint,

Yes I think the kit is a good buy. The cowl & fuselage are large enough to house any configuration of motor and electronics you choose. Flying is no more difficult than your average low wing warbird type model and yes its terrific fun and looks superb.

Andy

Flint27/08/2014 05:33:06
5 forum posts

Hi Andy

After a lot of thinking, especially gear issues vs. the quality of our gras landing strip, I skipped the purchase of the Lancair and bought a Seagull Grob G115 Tutor. Looking back in my years of modell flying and the discovered problems, most of them are related to retractable gears.

In this forum there is already a discussion about the Grob, thus from time to time I will post some updates about the built and flights of my new toy.

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=85550

Jan

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us