Forum sponsored by CML

DX9 Owners thread

Share your experience here

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Pete B - Moderator14/11/2013 14:59:36
7572 forum posts
732 photos

The 'L'-shaped foam is a filler for the battery compartment if you decide to use, IIRC, a 4-cell NIMh pack. I recall taking mine out of the DX8 when I fitted a Li-Po, anyway.

It's been a while since I had a play with my DX9 but ISTR wondering how to stop the stopwatch for the same reason. . I'll have another look ......

Pete

Pete B - Moderator14/11/2013 15:15:49
7572 forum posts
732 photos

Sussed it, RW. I have my throttle timer, counting down, on Timer 1 and the stopwatch, counting up, on Timer 2. The stopwatch is started and stopped using the Bind button (Switch I for India).

Go to the Timer screen on the menu, select Timer 2.

Mode: Stopwatch

Start: Switch I

One time: Inhibit.

A press on the Bind button starts the stopwatch. Romford Rosie then announces Timer Stop when I press the Bind button. It can be paused and continue on the Bind button, using the Clear button to reset it, of course.

Pete

Romeo Whisky14/11/2013 15:51:51
701 forum posts
188 photos

Thanks Pete. What a star. That Bind Button seems to have all sorts of uses on this TX. I just hope I don't go and inadvertently unbind something! So it looks as though if you want to manually stop the timer, you have to manually start it. OK, I can live with that - my old DX7 timer had to be manually started every time, and it only had one timer!

I wonder if Romford Rosie is really Harlow Hattie since I suspect Horizon UK may have been involved ????wink

Cheers, Richard

Nev Haycox14/11/2013 19:22:34
327 forum posts
20 photos

Hi RW, The L-shaped piece of foam in the DX8 box is used for packing the battery compartment when using lipo batteries, I guess it has the same use in the DX9.

Nev.

YakMad15/11/2013 09:26:43
518 forum posts

You can use any button, switch or stick to control the timer on the DX9, I am now using the "BACK" button beside the display to start and stop the timer on my IC models and the throttle stick to start and stop the timer on my Electric models.

SkippyUK15/11/2013 10:13:02
287 forum posts
23 photos

Anyone care to comment on the range check of these?

Is it better i.e. further away, with the twin antennas especially as you can't 'tilt' the antenna like on previous TX's?

With Xmas coming I can't decide on DX9 or Lancaster!.

Skippy

Colin Carpenter15/11/2013 11:08:36
551 forum posts
35 photos

Hi Skippy . Had mine for just over 2 weeks now. Range no problem so far on 2 Orange DSM2 receivers. Flew my Electraglide as far as my cataract corrected eyes can see Tuesday , and that's as far as you would want to go at our field. AR400 receiver ok in a Riot as well.

Go on ! Buy one ! You know you want to !

Cheers Colin

Romeo Whisky21/11/2013 13:10:55
701 forum posts
188 photos

Well I've now had time to play with my DX9 for quite a while (not flown with it yet - hopefully that's tomorrow).

I've got over 20 models and - rightly or wrongly - I decided to laboriously copy down all the settings from my DX7 and then enter them model-by-model into the DX9. So it's taken a while but now I'm there and in many ways the process was useful as it gave me a ready-made programming learning curve, and enabled me to compare the old familiar DX7 with the new-fangled DX9. The software and therefore the programming is quite different from the DX7 but I imagine anyone upgrading from the DX8 would find it similar and for the most part it is intuitive and quick to program models. I do sometimes wish that whoever writes TX manuals would go beyond telling you how to do some of the more esoteric stuff and enlighten the new user as to why in the world he would ever want to do it! Still can't work out what the gyros on acro are supposed to do. Nor what use the rotary knob switch is. Nor what the back switches (sliders?) or the top/front trim buttons are for. Or why the normal Dual Rate switches have three positions (Triple Rates?).

It's certainly chunkier than the DX7 and seems designed for guys with big hands! But with the LiIo battery installed it's noticably lighter. I love the wireless buddy-leading and can see this being great when the grand-kids want a go. By the way, the manual override can be inhibited if it's a nuisance (see above post).

I like the idea of the pre-flight check list, but cannot understand why Range-Check isn't listed as an option in the pre-flight checks - seems such an obvious one. (Having set up all the models on the bench I'd hate to forget that I haven't range-checked any of them before its first flight).

So far everything I've done with it has worked flawlessly. DSM2 RXs and DSMX Rxs. Even a couple of Orange RXs - all bound and I love the verbal confirmation of successful binding.

I think that it will actually be easier to program some of the more complicated airframes and mixes with the DX9 than the DX7 because it offers more built-in choices and confugurations (eg. Dual elevator servos as on my Seagull Edge 540). I really like having two timers (stopwatch and countdown) and the verbal warnings are just great. So far so good.

Just now I'm wondering how the TX LiIo (at 4.2V charged per cell it must surely be Li-Po??) battery will respond to the freezing temperatures forecast in the next few days, but we'll see. Overall I'm really pleased I bought the DX9 and am looking forward to flying with it in the next day or so.

YakMad21/11/2013 13:17:53
518 forum posts

The Lipo/Li-on TX batteries don't seem to be effected too much by the cold weather, I've been using one in my DX8 for 18 months without any problem and flew my MPX Extra 300 using the DX9 last weekend in cold slighty damp conditions with no issues.

Edited By YakMad on 21/11/2013 13:18:40

Colin Carpenter17/12/2013 18:30:59
551 forum posts
35 photos

Hi all . Thought I would post a quick update on my DX9. So far about 60 flights on it including 15 or so wireless trainer flights with DX6i slave. No problems whatsoever !! Got used to the trainer pushbutton but would prefer sprung switch (wait for gtee to expire Eh !!) .

So far so good and a happy bunny .

Cheers Colin

Terry Walters21/12/2013 08:09:41
1831 forum posts
1068 photos

'Someone', between you and myself that is me, is very sure that they have a DX9 being delivered by Père Noël (Father Xmas) on Wednesday. It isn't a brand new one but it is as good as new having never been used in anger! The wifey person has done well and shall be rewarded appropriately!

Stand by for providing help in the next few weeks, months, years........................................................!!

Terry

Terry Walters26/12/2013 08:42:19
1831 forum posts
1068 photos

Yep - I have joined the club and just started to get to grips with the wonder that is the DX9!

Have updated software to 1.02 but fell at the second hurdle ..............got the problem of not being able to load the voice software update - Brooklyn Betty is getting annoying.

On other forums there is a suggestion that the SD card fitted isn't good enough and that a replacement card usually works. In fact the failure warning includes the replacement of the card as a way of resolving this error (what a cheek!)

The file is there on the card - I can see it but on attempting to update the Tx I get the error warning and it fails. I re-formatted the card (the other resolution suggested on screen) and still the same. Tried with the zip file and the direct download - no change! New card then?

What does Uncle Pete think?

Terry

Frank Skilbeck26/12/2013 08:49:50
4430 forum posts
101 photos

Terry, not got a Dx9 but on my friend's Futaba we had time install update and voice separately and reformat the card in the tx each time

Terry Walters26/12/2013 09:55:05
1831 forum posts
1068 photos

Thanks Frank - Uncle Pete has rung me and we've gone thro the options. I'm going to try another card so a trawl through my cameras and other gizmos to find another that I can try.

Terry

Terry Walters26/12/2013 12:16:24
1831 forum posts
1068 photos

Yep - change of card and all works well. Terry's DX9 is now talking his own, 'proper Brit' language!!!

Terry

Edited By Terry Walters on 26/12/2013 12:43:33

SkippyUK26/12/2013 14:56:11
287 forum posts
23 photos

Well I've joined the the DX9'ers and updated voice and firmware to 1.02.

First impressions are very good but strangely the only RX's that have caused any hint of a problem are genuine Spektrum (NanoCPX & Visionaire) - they don't seem to bind first time with Romford Rosie stating 'Bind Failure' but they do bind in the end with Rosie announcing 'Telemetry' - neither have telemetry so maybe that or the AS3X is the problem.

Orange, Lemon and GC bind first time.

Now to gradually change settings across from DX8 and then I might try the wireless buddy with the kids next door.

Happy New Year

Skippy

Terry Walters26/12/2013 17:03:54
1831 forum posts
1068 photos

Hi Skippy - welcome - nice for me to have you around at the same point of knowledge as me!

Terry

Terry Walters28/12/2013 14:18:33
1831 forum posts
1068 photos

Just going for a lie down after changing my DX9 from RHD to LHD (well this is France!) - it is now a fully functioning Mode1. Not for the faint-hearted but it's now done! More scary than putting your tongue on the terminals of a 9 volt battery! Well maybe not that bad once you work out what the manual is trying to tell you and you realise that the drawings shown are open to artisitic licence!

Phew!

Terry

DX9 Mode Change Consultant

SkippyUK28/12/2013 16:48:49
287 forum posts
23 photos

Had a few flights now with the DX9 and it seems fine (as expected at this cost point!).

I also had the chance to put it up against my old DX8 and a wireless beam (see this thread) and although contact was lost, it seems to be regained faster with the DX9 than the DX8 - no scientific proof here but the same Zagi flown through the beam recovered faster with the DX9 - is this a result of the twin antennas I wonder?.

The set-ups from the Spektrum community have helped make the transition quicker as well.

Another thing I have found is that digital trims (buttons by side of sticks) and sub-trims are different from DX8 so cannot be transferred across when manually inputting models into DX9 - the DX9 seems to have finer trims even though the setting is identical but this will be easily sorted on first flights although I tend to change the servo pushrods to eliminate sub-trims so might have to do this again.

Still a very happy bunny.

Skippy

Kurt Zimmerman24/02/2014 19:26:09
1 forum posts

Greetings all from the other side of the pond..... I was attending an annual model show this past weekend along with SWMBO. To my surprise SWMBO made the suggestion I could use a new radio and should look for one at the show.... This came on the heels of me telling her that I will not be flying unless I update my radio. She pointed out that I might get a good price on it. Being a good sport I obeyed.

Long story short, I am now a proud owner of the DX-9. This radio purchase was the first one in almost 20 years, so I had a bit of a learning curve to get past before I get it to the field. Mind you I fly mostly the higher end multi-function gliders ranging in the 3m - 4m span range.

I may be looking for some assistance setting launch/cruise/"get-the-hell-out-of-here" pre-sets for full chamber flaps & ailerons. I went through the manual briefly and I wasn't able to find the pre-set feature setup.

I do like the feel of the radio. I find it much lighter than my almost 20 year old radio. The rubber grips have a good feel.

One feature I will be looking forward utilizing is RX voltage level. I may even consider adding a GPS as part of the telemetry, providing is offers X/Y/Z information.

As for upgrading the voice, the American English voice isn't tough to deal with.

All the best and when I have additional information to report I'll sure to reply. All the best.

Kurt

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Addlestone Models
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us