Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Mass Build 2014

Mass Build 2014

take your pick!

TheFlyingCrust11/10/2013 23:32:05
611 forum posts
67 photos

Spice is the variety of life ...... err.

I know which 2 are at the top for me but I would agree with Chris. Go for all 5.

ian

David Davis12/10/2013 07:08:53
3442 forum posts
613 photos

Going with the top five seems eminently logical, but guess what I found when having a sort out yesterday, a Peter Russel STOL plan!

Bearair12/10/2013 08:27:28
386 forum posts
22 photos
Posted by jeff2wings on 11/10/2013 22:55:13:

Maybe some basic research to get one’s facts right first might help , my suggestion was for the origanal 52 inch Barnstormer ,a different animal to the later ( and larger ) Barnstormer variations ,the baby Barnstormer is of even simpler construction and could be built as a e.p. depron model wink

Jeff do you have a link to the plan or more info please?

Edited By Bearair on 12/10/2013 08:29:29

ken anderson.12/10/2013 08:50:41
8454 forum posts
773 photos

well put BEB ....it was a long journey for young weasel and I.........worth it due to the fact we could rub shoulder's/meet up with other forumites etc......our fingers were dropping off signing autograph's/not.....posing for photo's- although weasel did seem to hog the camera naturally....anyway......I was one of the proposers for the 'pushycat' and still say it is a worthy contender due to its quick build, low cost and easy to fly...tick box's......my vote for it.....

ken Anderson ne....1..........greencre's/pushycat dept....

Edited By ken anderson. on 12/10/2013 08:51:29

Sparks12/10/2013 09:27:16
261 forum posts
55 photos

Going with the top five will encourage more participants due to the wider choice, which is surely the object the exercise.

I've already selected mine from the top five (no, I'm not going to tell you),

Bob Cotsford12/10/2013 09:51:43
8045 forum posts
444 photos

If you want to know what will get built, then you want people to post which of the top 5 they really would have a go at and only those, if you just want peoples favourites with no promise to build then it needs to be a repeat of the short-list vote with models listed 1-5, least favoured 1, most favoured 5.

As for moving the fly-in, first you have to ask whether enough sites with good access can be found. Then you need to ask how many would travel to non-centralised sites? To me Greenacres is the best possible site with experienced willing volunteers to marshal the event, reasonable access for the majority, on-site camping and a good size flying area. Not that I'm biased with it being half an hours drive from me, I'm sure there are other club sites that could lay on facilities for the fly-in, but how many would travel to somewhere like Norfolk, or any of the more northerly clubs?

kevin b12/10/2013 09:56:43
1670 forum posts
134 photos

I'm with BEB on this one. thumbs up

If 5 is too many you could always take one each of the vintage / modern and throw in the TYro / Tinker as a"trainer" option.

kevinb.

TheFlyingCrust12/10/2013 10:01:21
611 forum posts
67 photos

Hi Bearair, Have a look here and here. Or was it this that Jeff was on about? A completely different beast.

Hope its what you want.

Ian

Tony Bennett12/10/2013 10:12:35
5079 forum posts
129 photos

I never voted because i just can never settle on any thing for very long these days.

not building much anymore, just trying to finish off everything before i think about anything new.

though i am half way through TN hurricane number 5 and have a 12ft telemaster to do.

if i had the time and the funds, i would build all five and bring the lot to greenacres next year. cheeky

well i am going back out to the shed, laters gents.

i expect i WILL build the winning model and turn up on the day. (fingers crossed)

Edited By Tony Bennett on 12/10/2013 10:25:03

Bearair12/10/2013 11:29:27
386 forum posts
22 photos
Posted by Rentman on 12/10/2013 10:01:21:

Hi Bearair, Have a look here and here. Or was it this that Jeff was on about? A completely different beast.

Hope its what you want.

Ian

Thanks Ian, the one i am looking for is what Jeff describes as the "original" with 58inch span and simpler construction. A smaller version with sheet sides sounds to me like the best choice for a Mass Build.

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator12/10/2013 12:47:55
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Well, there seems to be some support for the idea of letting all these five go forward - or at least no one has said its a really bad idea yet!

GrahamC and Bob make similar points about getting folks to say which of the 5 they would build and then go with the one/ones that command the most overall support. Its a good idea, but I fear that it might not take us forward very much as all of the models would command a reasonable level of support - otherwise they wouldn't have got this far! And that means that after that process we might just be back here again - with 5 models which all command support. No, I fear the only sure way forward is either we have a second round vote or we go now with these 5.

I highlighted the potential problem with this idea of taking all five forward - ie being sure that there would be enough experienced builder support for each model. So far I've had 2 builders contact me and say they would take on the Tinker/Tyro combination. I would be happy to build a Tinker/Tyro, a Dawn Flyer or a MiniJazz - I don't mind which too much (I'm very broad minded!). But I can't do all three, so more need there. And that still leaves gaps for Barnstormer and Pushy Cat (come on Ken, time to put your money down mate!).

So, let's be having you experieneced builders - we need folks to step up to the ockey here. If you are a bit shy of commiting on here - just send me a PM. Remember, you don't need to be an expert just someone who is confident they could build the model and prepared to do a biuld blog of it for others to follow in areas where they are not sure. If we can be confident of the support, then this idea can be become a firm proposal.

BEB

Bearair12/10/2013 13:04:04
386 forum posts
22 photos

Can't we go ahead with it as a firm proposal anyway?, if three of the models are covered. If the remaining two model's do not get an experienced builder supporting them it would suggest they are non-starter for the mass build.

Edited By Bearair on 12/10/2013 13:04:29

Greybeard12/10/2013 13:07:25
726 forum posts
6 photos

The main reason I put forward the D.B. Barnstormer is that there are several sizes available, 3 or 4 channel and i.c. and electric, so there should be one to suit all pockets and abilities.

David Davis12/10/2013 13:13:51
3442 forum posts
613 photos

BTW BEB what's all this about the Barnstormer being ugly?

I think it looks like a 1930s racing aircraft something like a Stolp or a Citabria Pro. A model could be finished in bright colours and would look very attractive.

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator12/10/2013 13:37:10
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Ah - but as I pointed out David, beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Bearair - it could come to that out of necessity if some approriate builders don't step forward. But obviously I keen not to be "pushing a solution" on folks - even if I do think its a good one! No, we have to take it one step at a time I think and be sure we have full support for what we are thinking of doing, which at this stage it does look like we have.

I've recieved one PM from a another willing volunteer for a smaller Barnstormer or a Mini Jazz. So that's great, but more needed.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 12/10/2013 13:38:00

ken anderson.12/10/2013 13:55:19
8454 forum posts
773 photos

don't know about me doing a blog for the pushycat- if it is chosen I can give as much advice as needed....regarding motor/esc etc.....(the ones I've used) ...

ken Anderson ne..1......advice/aviation dept...

GrahamC12/10/2013 14:53:47
1234 forum posts
196 photos

I've built a couple of pushycats and would be happy to build another....and build log it.... But it might not be quite as per plan! ....

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator12/10/2013 15:01:18
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Great stuff, so far (I hope folks don't mind me naming them now) we have:

Chris Bott - to support Tinker/Tyro

Danny Fenton - supporting Tinker or Bi-stormer (biplane version of the Barnstormer)

David Davis supporting the smaller barnstormer or a Mini Jazz

GrahamC - supporting the Pushy Cat

BEB - supporting Dawn Flyer

Others are very welcome on board - the more the better! - but its starting to look like we could at least have the bases covered. This is obviously a tentative list at present - and subject to change and refinement! Keep them coming guys.

BEB

Danny Fenton12/10/2013 15:07:12
9224 forum posts
4076 photos
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 12/10/2013 15:01:18:

Great stuff, so far (I hope folks don't mind me naming them now) we have:

Danny Fenton - supporting Tinker or Bi-stormer (biplane version of the Barnstormer)

BEB

BEB thats 45" Tinker AND 58" Bistormer, I am a glutton for punishment wink 2

Cheers

Danny

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator12/10/2013 15:34:53
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Well, there we have Danny setting an example to builders everywhere. Knowing him he's probably planning on planning the Tinker in a day and the Bistormer the following weekend!

BEB

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us