Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

moulding depron wing's

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
john picton24/10/2013 08:51:59
31 forum posts
11 photos

Hi all, I have just returned to modelling aeroplanes after a break of several years, I have been amazed by the advance's in this field especially with indoor flying and as I am old and grumpy I intend to take up this type on modelling.

My question is, can anyone tell me how to Mould 1mm depron sheet to form a wing and fuselage etc

Electriflier24/10/2013 09:40:51
474 forum posts
1210 photos

Hi john,

In order to maybe offer some assistance, could you clarify exactly what you mean by 'moulding?'. If it is that you are asking about general construction methods used in modelling then I'm sure there will be plenty of people on here who will be able to offer plenty of advice.

john picton24/10/2013 13:50:42
31 forum posts
11 photos

hello Electrisflier, I have heard of two methods of doing this, One , make a mould from timber say the profile of a wing bind the depron to this and either heat in water or oven, in both case's I do not know what the temperature should be.

Two, Using a model kit ( say 1.48th ) take castings of the various part's and make male/female mould's again heat but no clue as to the temperature required.

I have tried the hot water method, made the former from plastic sheet ( Twit ) the plastic melted and the masking tape fell of the depron.

Simon Chaddock24/10/2013 17:04:46
5716 forum posts
3034 photos

John

I am not quite sure what 'wing shape' you are trying to mould and how big it is intended to be.

A thin under cambered wing section in a single 1mm sheet?

An aerofoil wing section with top and bottom skins in 1mm Depron?

There are quite a few techniques.

WolstonFlyer24/10/2013 17:31:06
2104 forum posts
189 photos
I have never heard of moulding depron although I guess it can be done with the proper setup. Probably a heated press of some sort? All of my indoor profile models so far are made from either 3mm Depron flat sheets or 9mm EPP.
john picton24/10/2013 19:50:15
31 forum posts
11 photos

hi Guy's, I am attempting to form a simple under camber wing shape in1mm Depron, this is for 10 to 18 inch wing span model's, . I have managed to from the wing using balsa ribs but with this size model getting the weight down is critical.

I have seen a small depron model formed using heat and I would think pressure , I will try to find this article and post the info.

ben goodfellow 124/10/2013 20:08:05
1069 forum posts
41 photos

not moulding but ive made a wings with depron ribs and sheet then i just scored around the tight bend of the le with parallel lines to the wing then rolled it around and over top of wing , it was quite suprising how strong it was...

Simon Chaddock24/10/2013 20:51:44
5716 forum posts
3034 photos

John

It is possible to cold form sheet Depron. I use it on the skins of my big(ish) built up Depron wings.

Formed plate wings

Just 2 scrap bits I had to hand. 6mm and 2mm. Is that the sort of section you had in mind?

I shall have to try a full 10" wing. I presume it has dihedral and is joined in the middle?

If it works I will try to describe how I do it. wink 2

john picton24/10/2013 21:01:40
31 forum posts
11 photos

The model I refer to was made by Alex Blackledge and is featured in Plantraco microflight web site it is 1/72nd scale

Mr.B.24/10/2013 21:06:56
413 forum posts
26 photos

John, I have made a 37mm dia tube out of 3mm depron by cold rolling it around a former and submerging in water that had just gone off the boil. facing the depron the masking tape helped to stop it creasing when rolling it. Depron can be cold formed rolling pin style or bent by hand and will naturally retain the shape (such as an under cambered wing). Half the fun is trying new techniques or inventing your own.

john picton24/10/2013 21:40:13
31 forum posts
11 photos

I must be doing some thing wrong, when I tried cold rolling 1mm depron around the edge of curved kitchen work top it ' creased ' ! are you saying you used masking tape to 'face ' the depron before submerging in hot water.

I agree trying new techniques is great fun, I get most of me 'kicks' from building the model's

Mr.B.24/10/2013 21:49:24
413 forum posts
26 photos

Yep that's right. Stick masking tape to the depron flat, then gently (gently gently) pull it round the former and secure with more tape. Then into the water for a few seconds and out again. You will find the depron bends easier in one direction than the other as depron sheet does have 'grain'.

Stephen Jones24/10/2013 23:25:10
2839 forum posts
1616 photos

Hi ,

Is this what you are refering too ? .

**LINK**

john picton25/10/2013 07:55:46
31 forum posts
11 photos

A hell cat but this look's the same technique, I have contacted Plantrco and asked to be put in touch with the guy.thanks

Chuck Plains25/10/2013 15:53:47
1096 forum posts
244 photos

One method that I came up with for moulding a bend into foam is the spaghetti jar method. Wrap your foam pieces around a ceramic or glass spaghetti jar, then fill it with hot (less than boiling) water! You MUST use a spaghetti jar, otherwise the method is called the 'whatever you used method'.

hot jar.jpg

hot bent 3 and 6mm.jpg

The two foams I used have a slight 'skin' on one side and that had to go inside to avoid cracking. The 3mm stuff is more dense and still had small creases on the inside. I believe Depron has a 'skin' but Depron Aero does not.

Do not put Parmesan cheese on the foam before bending. You can put it on after, but the foam still has no nutritional value. face 20

john picton25/10/2013 18:06:58
31 forum posts
11 photos

Thanks a lot chuck I'll try Worcester sauce or maybe marmite eh!!! smile p

I see that you are using Blue Foam, I have carved compete model's with this with great success and did not need to mould it, the Depron is a more difficult material to work with, however I will try the tape and form into hot water, thanks

Chuck Plains26/10/2013 14:17:50
1096 forum posts
244 photos

Ah, yes, it does have a blue-ish tone in this pic. But I am using Kilma 6mm Underwood Insulation that I buy from Screwfix. It's £28 for 8 sheets 750x1000mm . It works well with Gorilla glue, foam safe CA, UHU POR, PVA. I mostly cover it with clear packing tape for tight bends. But duct tape sticks to it much better!

The 3mm stuff I found at the local recycling centre and had 12 sheets in a similar size (some damaged) for £3 !! smile d

Edited By Chuck Plains on 26/10/2013 14:19:04

Edited By Chuck Plains on 26/10/2013 14:20:25

WolstonFlyer26/10/2013 14:48:45
2104 forum posts
189 photos
Have you tried Depron Chuck? I get mine from here, the full boxes work out the best value per sheet. ***Link***
john picton26/10/2013 16:19:27
31 forum posts
11 photos

thanks guy's will bear these in mind.

Will post some photos of my first Depron Build next week, cheers John

Simon Chaddock26/10/2013 17:38:37
5716 forum posts
3034 photos

A short video of my method of cold forming a piece of Depron.

Used to form the skins of a built up Depron wing.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!