what are we gonna do instead of sandown

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
nasa_steve10/01/2007 19:24:00
457 forum posts
21 photos
4 articles
hi all
so whats the heads up has anyone thought or organising an event instead of sandown this year or next. how about a do at the hop farm in early may?? or kent county show ground maybe???
what are your thoughts
regards
nasa
JFH15/01/2007 16:47:00
12 forum posts
I didn't get along to Sandown that often, but when I did it was always enjoyable. I did hear a lot of people complaining that it was going downhill the past couple of years, but it's still a shame to see the back of it. It'd be nice to have somehting to replace it, but I guess we'd have heard by now?
geofb18/01/2007 22:59:00
50 forum posts
Me and my son went to Sandown a few times - great day out. Why has it stopped? I haven't broken the sad news to him yet.
John Clark 221/01/2007 20:35:00
13 forum posts
Surely Model Max is a sort of replacement?

I can't see anyone replacing Sandown. After all, the place and format were slightly unique, so any other show won't really be a 'replacement' anyway.

The show was partly killed by the 'knockers', many of whom spouted so much rubbish on the original form of this site that you had to wonder if they had a life. One of the worst perpetrators even admitted in private corespondence with me (eventually) that he'd never been to the show - but his mates had told him this and that, so it must have been true!

Interestingly, most of the knockers DID go to the show every year. As you say, the slot is now empty - and it is their fault. But of course, they'll be in denial and blame it on the poor bu**ers who were running the event, it being too expensive blah de blah. Surely they can't have seriously contributed to the show's image problem - COULD THEY?
David Ashby - Moderator22/01/2007 21:11:00
10953 forum posts
1681 photos
614 articles
My wife will be pleased, I'll save money by staying at home. Plenty more shows to splash some cash mind.
nasa_steve23/01/2007 18:34:00
457 forum posts
21 photos
4 articles
you never know we might even get you down to the hopfarm instead this year david;-) seeing as your even closer to it than i am
regards
steve
kdc24/01/2007 19:16:00
41 forum posts
The Model Engineer Exhibition and the Sandown Display should be re-instated in some way.
The rival Alexandra Palace show last weekend was almost useless for aeromodelling.
We need a Winter show for aero models.

nasa_steve24/01/2007 19:39:00
457 forum posts
21 photos
4 articles
kdc
maybe the model engineering show but i don't think as a display pilot the sandown site was suitable for a flying event. there are much better show's for that. the only thing we seem to have lost is the UK's showcase show and another show in the south east. its funny model show's are very midlands biased the south now lacks the balance that sandown produced.
regards
nasa
kdc24/01/2007 20:12:00
41 forum posts
A different venue from Sandown would be OK, but we need a show near London where we can see major distributors etc. Sandown used to have Ripmax,Chris Foss, Laser, Solarfilm, Avicraft, Dave Smith, and many other interesting stands which I have not seen elsewhere.
John Clark 224/01/2007 20:55:00
13 forum posts
Someone should start a show at Duxford. The venue is MUCH cheaper than Sandown, you can fly anything there, and those who come along get to see the full-size collections as well.

Oh, and road access from points north and south is excellent too.

Duxford have already said they'll do it. Anyone up for it?

JC
David Ashby - Moderator24/01/2007 21:28:00
10953 forum posts
1681 photos
614 articles
The Nat's is my favourite, should be at the hop farm this year Steve, barring illness!
nasa_steve24/01/2007 23:19:00
457 forum posts
21 photos
4 articles
duxford sounds good i'd be up for that they certainly have the facilities and a better flying history too
regards
nasa
Elmtreepete28/01/2007 09:38:00
4 forum posts
Does anyone know if there will be a Model Max show at Wroughton this year??
Allan Jordan29/01/2007 12:49:00
495 forum posts
The loss of Sandown is bad news for those of us in this neck the woods. Never mind
Duxford,how about Dunsfold near Guildford?
Sandown was just about the best venue for
us Surrey chaps.Let's cancel the silly expensive Olympic Games and build proper flying sites.( Might be some votes in it Tony)!
Chris Hall29/01/2007 20:31:00
18 forum posts
the best show is the hop farm i have been every year and every year it is great weather and gets better and bigger every year.
nasa_steve29/01/2007 20:46:00
457 forum posts
21 photos
4 articles
totally agree with you chris. although for different reasons there are bigger shows elsewhere but i've flown there every year since year 2. plus its only 5mins down the road for me
nasa
Chris Hall30/01/2007 18:03:00
18 forum posts
yeh im only about 30 min away but what i love about it that people who come to watch can also access the hop farm and see all the animals. by the way what club are u with?
nasa_steve30/01/2007 19:02:00
457 forum posts
21 photos
4 articles
hi chris
i fly at both tunbridge wells radio controlled modellers site and new hay flying tigers
Terry Mansell08/02/2007 01:19:00
2 forum posts
I'm a NATS man myself... Love the show stay the weekend in a tent with flying mates... very cool... and you can't beat the free flight on the Saturday Evening... CLASSIC Atmosphere... It's a must.
Henrik Grane14/02/2007 13:34:00
3 forum posts
De Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter.
Who has a really good RC scale drwg. (preferably as an electric twin)....?
Must be min. scale 1:10 (span 1980 mm.), max. scale 1:8 (span 2475 mm.).
The following drwgs. are not near good enough/far from scale:
1. Drwg. in Model Builder, July 1976, scale
1:9.
2. Drwg. in Model Airplane News, May 2002,
scale 1:12.
I am also looking for 3-view/4-view/or ? of the full size plane, preferably a Witold Szewczyk drwg., if available ?

Best regards

Henrik Grane, Farum, DENMARK.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CADMA
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us