By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

42" Curtiss Hawk 75a Depron Scratch Build (1st )

42" Curtiss Hawk 75a Depron Scratch Build (1st )

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Roy Mundy31/10/2013 21:31:25
453 forum posts

Hi All,

This is my first ever build blog and I am going to be brave and have a go at building in depron for the first time!

I have built a few models before all from balsa mainly Galaxy kits , The Gazelle, Scorpion, Domino all which I enjoyed building and most of all they fly well too.

I have almost finished building the whizz kid which was my first plan only build which was free in RCM&E a few months back, that has been an enjoyable build.

I have built in depron a couple of times but they have been mainly flat models The polaris was my favourite, But I have never built a depron plane from a scratch build plan.

The plan is free from RCM&E from issue 6 vol 40 designed by Robin Fowler and its very old. I am not sure about motor setups etc so I will need all the help I can get, I mainly use 3S lipo 2200 mAh so it would be good if I could use them.

Please feel free to chip in as I am very new to this build and I am not sure how it will come out, But I have had this itch and it needs scratching so in for a penny I am giving it a go.

It wont be a super fast build as I run my own business and I am planning to do this right so please bear with me.

Special thanks to Depron Daz and Electriflier for the inspiration

photos to follow ...........................wish me luck!

Roy Mundy31/10/2013 21:32:12
453 forum posts

Roy Mundy31/10/2013 21:32:39
453 forum posts

Roy Mundy31/10/2013 21:33:43
453 forum posts

I have photo copied and cut out the plan

Tony Bennett31/10/2013 21:38:46
5082 forum posts
129 photos

i shall be avidly watching this one as i want to try depron next year,

Depron Daz31/10/2013 21:48:16
760 forum posts
173 photos

Good luck Roy, I'm with you!

FastFlyer Smyth31/10/2013 22:07:57
310 forum posts
12 photos

Go for it Roy, Good luck mate.

john picton31/10/2013 22:09:29
31 forum posts
11 photos

Hi I to will be watching this as I am also trying my hand at depron, best of luck John

Electriflier31/10/2013 22:14:32
474 forum posts
1210 photos

Count me in Roy. Subscribed and looking forward to your build. - enjoy!

lightning 75901/11/2013 08:20:49
148 forum posts
10 photos

HI

Subscribed and looking forward to your build

one of my fav fullsize warbirds

andy

Roy Mundy01/11/2013 08:38:31
453 forum posts

smiley Thanks for the support guys, Right here's my first question ! The plan is cut out as you can see and I am planning on making the fuz with the Crucifix method. Also thinking about battery access so shall I make the complete fuz a crucifix all the way upto the front bulkhead? Or stop the upper vertical part of the crucifix in front of the cockpit ? Then this flat area could be used as a battery bay. I would then need to make a lid with magnets for battery access ? Also the front F1 mount should I make this in lite ply or sandwich some depron in ply for the motor ?

Thank you for your help this is going to be a Group build lol

Electriflier01/11/2013 14:32:36
474 forum posts
1210 photos

i Roy,
If I understand your question correctly you're planning on building the fuselage with a vertical central spine or keel and a horizontal flat plate up against the keel? Then planning on notching in the fuselage formers?
If this is the case, I would build right up to the motor firewall. I'm not sure how big your model is but it might be worth considering some light carbon tubing along the length of the fuselage to offer some additional rigidity longtitudinally. Spend a bit of time thinking about things before you cut and the old adage "measure twice, cut once " is a good rule to follow.
Good luck
Roy

Depron Daz01/11/2013 17:10:39
760 forum posts
173 photos

Hi Roy M.

As Roy H says, make the crucifix completely, right up to the firewall. From there you can fully skin the fuz, and build the wings up with all electronics also in their respective places. However, leave the top half of the nose section un-skinned from the canopy forward, until everything else is done. The reason being is so that with the plane fully built (minus the upper half nose skinned) you can get the best position of CG, and therefore you can then cut into that upper half crucifix and make a flat depron bed for the battery, with enough space to move back and forth for the final CG position. Make sides for the battery bed so it will be enclosed, and then skin up to these side pieces, and then just make a depron lid with a cheapy small hath latch or similar.

I done it this way with my Depron Spitfire, and it worked out just fine.

Daz

Roy Mundy01/11/2013 23:28:00
453 forum posts

Roy Mundy01/11/2013 23:28:28
453 forum posts

Roy Mundy01/11/2013 23:38:30
453 forum posts

Thanks for the advice guys, .....................Right I have made a start and cut out the main keel including the fin, I then cut out the top view of the plan which I cut in half also taking off 3mm each side to allow for the thickness of the 6mm depron. I cut out F1 and cut that into quarters also allowing for the 6mm depron. The best way to find out where the side of the crucifix spine should go was to first glue in the quarter of F1 as seen, I then got my square and drew a line along the keel and this is where I glued in the side piece.

I hope this all makes sense ? I have got a busy few days so I doubt if I will get much done.

Regards

Roy

Depron Daz01/11/2013 23:41:22
760 forum posts
173 photos

There you go Roy, you've sussed it, easy-peasy.

So long as you keep you cutting blade at 90 degrees to the straight edge then every joint will be tight.

Looking at the bit underneath the wing area, I would perhaps beef this area up with some 3/16th balsa sheet either side laminating that area and going up the spine by an inch, just for a strong anchorage point. Will you be going with dowels in the LE and some screws near the TE for securing the wing? Just make sure that the dowels go inside some 2mm ply plate which is securely glued.

Remember, keep it simple, keep it light. You really don't need to be over engineering this, and you will be surprised how strong this structure really is.

It is a great start for you Roy, are you happy so far with this technique of building? Simples isn't it!

Roy Mundy02/11/2013 00:01:08
453 forum posts

smiley Thanks for that Daz, I will certainly do that with the area under the wing. Yes I will dowel and bolt the wing when I get to that bit. I have only just started this build and yes I am really enjoying it, almost to the point I'm dreaming planes lol.

I have always enjoyed building things and until about 18 months ago I was always in my workshop building with MDF, I have 2 young children and have made them fantastic toys including a mini fitted kitchen, a shop stall and puppet show etc. This type of building really ticks all the boxes for me, unfortunately I sometimes struggle looking at the plans but as it goes together it starts to make sense. I would love to be able to look at a plan and fully understand it, but I expect that comes with experience .

I will try to explain everything I have done and then if I get into trouble, we may be able to spot it early.

Regards Roy

Depron Daz02/11/2013 00:47:19
760 forum posts
173 photos

I will have to try and find some photos of a wooden motorcycle I made for my nephew some years back and post them up. I used to do a lot of woodworking in my previous house and had converted the garage into a full on woodwork shop with a lovely big table saw, with a sliding carriage and table extensions, a floor mounted planer/thicknesser, wood turning lathe, floor standing router cabinet (courtesy of Norm Abram and the New Yankee Workshop plan!) and all of the other gadgets and gizmos. I still have all of my tools and machines in storage as my garage in this house where we currently live is full of toot, but one day when we move I will build a whole new workshop. Sadly we have neither the space or the money to do one here.

I would make anything and everything, from candlestick tables right up to garage doors and pergolas. Cabinets of all shapes and sizes, TV, Hi-Fi and drinks cabinets, kitchen cabinets, bedsteads, garden furniture, children's furniture, picture frames, you name it I have probably built one! I even have some of my work in a rather stately home in Northern France where one of my old sergeants has retired to now. I really do miss working with wood, apart from all of the sneezing and itching I seem to suffer from it, lol

Getting back to your model, you have made a cracking start, and you have the fundamentals in place. Just take your time, and if you get stuck, stop where you are and ask, try not to plough on in case you have to undo what you have done, but I really see no need to have to take you through this step by step. Honestly you will be fine. Some how it just comes together, it's only foam and a lot easier to work with than wood!

Looking forward to seeing you fly this wink

Roy Mundy03/11/2013 22:45:18
453 forum posts

Well I managed to get an hour or so in the hanger tonight, The Fuz is starting to take shape, I am surprised at how fast the scapel blades blunt and start to drag. I am on blade number 2 already lol.

Just regarding the bit under the wing Daz, you said beef it up with 3/16 balsa. I was going to laminate each side but this is the keel so should I add a bulk head for the dowel to go into then laminate that section, or is that what you meant, I told you I struggle with plans. Sorry to sound a nerd and thank you for all your help.

Roy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!