Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

SLEC Astro Hog 20cc

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Scruffmeister01/11/2013 12:29:26
295 forum posts
40 photos

Can't find any information on this model beyond the SLEC website itself. Is anyone building one/considering building one? Looks like a great project...

**LINK**

Percy Verance01/11/2013 13:37:57
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Have you tried e mailing SLEC themselves Scruff? I'm told they're a helpful bunch. I have looked at this myself, and could well be tempted at some point in the future. I had the Sig version (70 inch span) about 15 years ago. Good flyer.

There are plans available for an even bigger one, produced by one of the big US plans people. Jerry Bates or someone like that. I have seen the plan, but can't recall who does it! I'm sure I saw it on the Belair site.

Percy Verance01/11/2013 13:42:12
8108 forum posts
155 photos

In fact it was Jerry Bates Scruff.

See here..... **LINK**

Scruffmeister01/11/2013 13:51:00
295 forum posts
40 photos

Hi Percy, yes - I dropped them a mail to see if they'd share the instructions, build photos etc. With any luck they'll get back to me at some point ...

Percy Verance01/11/2013 14:40:58
8108 forum posts
155 photos

I think the SLEC Hog is about 10% bigger than the standard 70 inch version Scruff. Is that as big as you wanted? The Jerry Bates one looks good too, but it doesn't actually say what size it is......but it does look to be similar in size to the SLEC one.

I wasn't aware there was a lazer cut parts set for the Bates one. I thought it was simply a plan.

In fact such was my fondness for my Sig Astro Hog, I've got myself the Astro Hog biplane kit to be going on with......

Edited By Percy Verance on 01/11/2013 14:44:05

Scruffmeister01/11/2013 14:59:51
295 forum posts
40 photos

I do like the look of the Belair kit cutting, very clean!

Percy Verance02/11/2013 08:40:20
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Could be the answer Scruff. Jerry Bates plan along with Belair's cutting, of which I have personal experience. Gotta be a good combination I'd have thought......

chris kearney07/06/2014 09:15:06
18 forum posts

I have got the SLEC Astro Hog it is a very poor kit for the money

GONZO07/06/2014 09:58:18
1353 forum posts
14 photos

Some details and photos of the items, or lack of, that disapoint would be useful.

chris kearney07/06/2014 10:18:11
18 forum posts

Parts that don't fit properly. Parts that don't match plan. Cheap poor quality hardware. Wing joining tube already cut before matching wing panels and letting the builder cut it. Box full of wood dust. Poor plans and instructions. Poor design for under carriage mounting that needed changing. I wish I had spent my £200 on the Bel Air part kit for the Jerry Bates plan.

GONZO07/06/2014 10:30:41
1353 forum posts
14 photos

I've always found SLEC good to deal with. I suggest you contact them and tell them strongly of your dissatisfaction and the reasons why. IMO It wouldn't do any harm to mention that you have posted on this forum, bad publicity is not good for any retailer. There may be a production problem or you've just got a rogue kit. Please let us know of SLECs response.

chris kearney07/06/2014 11:08:49
18 forum posts

I agree SLEC are normally excellent I have their Fun Fly and is excellent quality, I certainly will be buying from them again, but not an unknown kit like the big astrohog, I would not be surprised if mine is the only one they have sold.

chris kearney13/06/2014 22:35:39
18 forum posts

Contacted SLEC via their website and no reply. Will try a phone call when I can get to a phone during work hours

Braddock, VC14/06/2014 07:33:07
1645 forum posts
82 photos

Percy, bates hog is 90" wingspan, it is different from the original, v. similar to the sig version. For 40 cc sparkies.

chris kearney14/06/2014 08:29:55
18 forum posts

The 90 inch is by Gerry Bates, the plan is available from Fighter Aces and Bel Air Digital do a laser cut part kit for it, I really should have gone that route instead of the SLEC Astro hog. Oh well you live and learn, at least it's improving my building skills trying to fathom out the SLEC kit.

Percy Verance14/06/2014 09:58:16
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Hi Braddock VC

The Sig kit is excellent, but uses fairly hard/heavy wood, as do a lot of US produced kits. You can't fault the general presentation though, or the fact that Sig kits build superbly. Indeed, you could easily build a second model from the plan, as all vital components are shown. And it is a great flyer. I bought my Sig Hog kit in 1993, and only sold the model just 5 or so years back. I got myself a Hog Bipe kit a while ago, and with retirement drawing nearer i'll be readying myself for what I'm sure will be another enjoyable build.

The Sig version wouldn't please the vintage purists though, as it doesn't have the inset ailerons, massive dihedral, or low mounted tailplane of the original 1957 version. In this respect the Flair kit came near, but in fairness to Sig I think there are (I've not looked for years) references on the plan regarding the deviations they have made.

Edited By Percy Verance on 14/06/2014 10:05:24

chris kearney14/06/2014 15:25:39
18 forum posts

Never looked at the SIG one the SLEC one is awful

Percy Verance14/06/2014 23:14:15
8108 forum posts
155 photos

In which case Chris, the quality of the Sig version would probably take your breath away. Sig kits are really well produced, with very clear plans and excellent construction manuals, complete with photos at varying stages of construction. If I had to pick a fault, it's wood selection. Quite hard and heavy wood is used, where lighter stock could easily be substituted. As I mentioned earlier, this does seem something of a trend with US produced kits.

Tom Flynn 113/12/2014 18:24:29
72 forum posts
1 photos

Hi Gents

i know it's awhile after your original comments, but I have bought a Sig kit direct from USA. No one in the UK has stock. British customs had their share. But the point I,m trying to make is that the quality of the wood in the kit was dire. So soft on the wings, every time I picked it up I put my fingers through the panelling. Also when building the fuselage the bits did not fit. Looks like the dies are wearing, one side was bigger than the other. Love the Hog have fallen out with Sig. Flair would be on a winner at the moment. Just bought original F Dunn plans, so will sit in the garage for the spring cutting bits out, unless you know a good laser cutting service.

Tom

Percy Verance13/12/2014 18:54:44
8108 forum posts
155 photos

That is disappointing to hear Tom. My 1993 kit was fine, but it is probably reasonable to assume there is now some wear in the cutting dies. As far as I'm aware, the original Hog kit has not been moved over to the newer lazer cutting process. The Hog Bipe kit certainly has, and is really excellent.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CML
CADMA
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us