Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Can Doo it

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Colin Leighfield23/12/2013 21:19:18
5715 forum posts
2359 photos

Which finger Bill? Don't worry though, dried blood does a good job if you run out of Balsaloc!

Bill Tubb25/12/2013 13:47:48
68 forum posts
22 photos

hi again as promised all covered... colour scheme born out of a lack of film in any particular colour but I think it works am looking forward to seeing yours now stephenimg_20131225_132351.jpg

Stephen Jones25/12/2013 21:35:45
2591 forum posts
1486 photos

Hi Bill ,

I have covered the wings now in green film , i have the body and fins to do next ,

I have also had too chose from what ever film i had in stock ,

The chose i had was silver , which i had bought to re-cover my Mustang

Blue to re-cover a small ic model ,

And green of which i can not think for which model i had intended it for ,

Small amount of left overs in black , yellow , red ,

So Racing green it is .

Hopefully it will be ready soon .

Cheers Steve ,

Now where are my mince pies ,

Bill Tubb28/12/2013 14:41:27
68 forum posts
22 photos

99% finished c of g not a problem auw 699grams, 118w at full power. not entirely happy with the battery cover so will be strengthening that before if flies all I need now is some weather and a clear workbench for the next buildcandoo4.jpg

Bill Tubb28/12/2013 14:43:09
68 forum posts
22 photos

p.s. are we the only two building this pretty little plane?

Colin Leighfield28/12/2013 19:22:13
5715 forum posts
2359 photos

I've got the bits ready to do it, will start it as soon as I can. I'm surprised though we're not seeing more having a go yet, probably to do with finishing other projects first, which is my reason.

Stephen Jones28/12/2013 21:16:53
2591 forum posts
1486 photos

Hi ,

I have not got a lot done due to work and family commitments i am afraid ,

I am at the point of pondering what to do and how to go about it .

As i said early i am using this one as a test bed for some experimenting ,

candooit2a.jpeg

I could not decide which one or two motors to use , So for now i have one up front which i think is 120 watt motor i will see how that goes then i have a small high speed 2600 kv motor to go on the back .

As well as my experiment to go inside ,

So at this point i can not decide if i should make the cockpit removable .

And i would agree with you in the fact the battery bay is a bit flexible considering that is the point in which one needs to hold the model for launch .

I may make a launch Dolly .

Bill Tubb28/12/2013 22:38:26
68 forum posts
22 photos

thought mine looked good but you,ve upstaged me looking really nice and I like the idea of twin motors once I know it flies and behaves this is a must do conversion along with 4s methinks, my canopy was made from blue foam sanded to shape so not removeable (cos I could,nt wait for one too arrive) I also went for 4 digital servo setup which to be fair does,nt look that nice underneath but allows a multitude of mixing variations for a later date anyway will get back to you once it has flown with full report on it ok

Bill Tubb28/12/2013 22:44:12
68 forum posts
22 photos

also I am intrigued by the line "my experiment inside" and come on colin mate get a move on

Stephen Jones28/12/2013 23:28:53
2591 forum posts
1486 photos

Hi Bill ,

Hopefully mine will look a lot better when it`s finished ,

Twin motors should be able to give me 240 watts of power but with one motor going clockwise and the other going anti clockwise , which should counter act any torque .

And yes there is a good reason why i made the body wider , I have played with a few Canards in the past and discovered a inherent problem with them , which i am hoping to resolve . But i am keeping stum so as not to end up with egg on my face if it does not work .

wink .

Colin Leighfield29/12/2013 00:06:12
5715 forum posts
2359 photos

Fascinating stuff. Have a heart Bill, I've always been a bit slow.

Bill Tubb29/12/2013 13:18:18
68 forum posts
22 photos

sorry colin patience is something I am learning with this hobby... Stephen I am a little worried is there something I should know? something you are keeping to yourself eh!

Cliff Bastow29/12/2013 13:31:43
780 forum posts
426 photos

I have just started cutting balsa for an attempt at this.

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas why the fins are where they are? I am concidering moving them outboard a little to where the wingtip join is.

This way they will be clear of the elevon position and will also strengthen this joint. Any ideas?

Colin Leighfield29/12/2013 15:13:25
5715 forum posts
2359 photos

Cliff, with this lay-out, my natural inclination would be to put them at the wing-tips. However, Nigel knows what he's doing, perhaps he will comment on this? I'm interested in his thoughts about making the foreplane all-flying and when I do mine, I might have a go at that.

Cliff Bastow29/12/2013 15:41:15
780 forum posts
426 photos

Hi Colin,

Yes im sure Nigel knows his stuff, I just thought it would be easier. If you look in my photos I have another canard with fins near the tips and this gives no problems. wing flutter etc and that too is a flat plate wing.

Incidently that also has a small elevator on the foreplane and this is more than adequate, ( loops on a sixpence ) so im not sure a flying foreplane would be worth the effort. Might be interesting though!

Incidently I note your correct use of the term foreplane,

When I trained as an aircraft engineer, my instructor was adamant that only birds have wings. Aircraft have mainplanes and tailplanes. Hence monoplane, biplane ect. Though how we get rotary or fixed wing I dont know. lol

He also got angry if we called the control column a joy stick.lol

I await to see any developments you make with interest.

cheers Cliff

Stephen Jones29/12/2013 17:39:42
2591 forum posts
1486 photos

Hi Cliff ,

I am by no means an expert on these matters however my opinion is ;

As you have already flown a Canard with the fins on the wing tips it would suggest that there is no reason why you could not do the same on this model .

I can only think that Nigel put them there to prevent accidental damage or to aid looks , Wing lets usually improve the performance of the wing .

And i can see no improvement by making the foreplane a tilting one .

Ailerons ,elevators, rudders, flaps all create drag , which would slow a plane down and in extreme cases to the point the the wing could stall out ,

so a tilting foreplane would in theory have less drag . But due to the gap between the foreplane and the fuselage there would be more drag created . On a model anyway as we could not get them to work with the precision needed .

Stephen Jones29/12/2013 17:49:14
2591 forum posts
1486 photos

Hi Bill ,

No there is nothing i am keeping from you in regards to the flying of canards as small models .

It is just in my experience with Canards they are happy to fly at a fixed speed due to the nature of there setup . The foreplane is designed to stall before the main wing inorder to correct its flight .

So by nature you can only fly at the speeds that the foreplane will cope with , so going slower or faster creates its own problems .

Colin Leighfield29/12/2013 20:28:05
5715 forum posts
2359 photos

Stephen. I wouldn't disagree with your thoughts on an all-flying foreplane, it's hard to see how it would offer any improvement and it certainly wouldn't need much movement! However, I think I might try it anyway, just for the sake of it. At the least, it will be interesting. (As Cliff said)!

Cliff Bastow30/12/2013 10:05:39
780 forum posts
426 photos

Its just my experience but my canard is happy at quite a wide speed range from a walking pace to fast.

I think I have read somewhere that it depends on wether it is a lifting canard or not but I dont really know.

I note that on can do the canard is set at 3 degrees so I asume it is a lifting one as is my canard.

I await developments with interest.

Cliff

MMG30/12/2013 11:06:18
35 forum posts
1 photos

Ordered the `Can-Doo power package` from 4-Max; it has arrived safe and well with a very quick turnaround. I will now wait a longer before starting the construction in order to read the `pioneers` mods and tips in this thread. Will also be interested to see what the EDF version looks like and may well have a go at that too. Have a few repairs to finish off in the meantime, plus starting the covering on my Magnatilla (Solartex).

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2018
CML
Revoc
Motion RC
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us