By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

HobbyKing currency issues

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martin Whybrow07/12/2013 23:33:05
884 forum posts
33 photos

I've been trying to buy some bits from HobbyKing this evening, but I cannot get to the screen to change currencies; if I click where it says Currency: US$, I get a timer indication on the browser bar, but the screen to select currency never appears. I don't want to check out with it set to US$ as I'm sure the CC will be billed in US$, attracting an expensive commission charge.

Anyone else experiencing issue today?

Martin Whybrow07/12/2013 23:37:56
884 forum posts
33 photos

Ah, it's a problem with the .co.uk site, I changed to the .com site and it's OK.

AJ08/12/2013 00:37:55
143 forum posts
12 photos

The currency indicator just does a simple calculation on the dollar price. It's not a firm & final price. When you get to checkout you will see you are still billed in dollars (it doesn't say this but the number will be somewhat higher than you were expecting) The final price you actually pay will be based on whatever rate your bank uses at the point when the transaction completes. Bottom line, just use it as a guide to stop you spending too much!

Andew

John Privett08/12/2013 10:35:54
6108 forum posts
243 photos

As Andrew says, HK will bill you in dollars whatever currecny you select. The currency selector just gives you a very rough guide to what that price in $ might be in £, Euros or whatever.

I don't know if they're any better now, but from January to July this year they used the same conversion rate whilst the real rate (that the banks use!) fluctuated quite a lot.

I just ignore the "converter" on the site and use a proper site elsewhere (or the app on my phone) to see what the $-£ conversion works out at.

Barry G.08/12/2013 12:11:42
17 forum posts

I have noticed the problems above.

Just a quick question.

Are the orders dispatched in the UK or do they come from abroad. I am looking at purchasing items from them. Thanks.

Barry

Martin Whybrow08/12/2013 12:17:51
884 forum posts
33 photos

Depends on the warehouse you select; there are warehsouses in the UK, in Germany, and in Hong Kong and / or Singapore.

John Privett08/12/2013 13:29:50
6108 forum posts
243 photos
Posted by Barry G. on 08/12/2013 12:11:42:

Are the orders dispatched in the UK or do they come from abroad. I am looking at purchasing items from them. Thanks.

Barry

As mentioned above, they have several warehouses - the prices for goods varies a little between them, as does the postage cost and time! Generally items are cheaper in the International warehouse, but you'll wait longer and probably pay more for postage. You're also liable for a customs charge for goods coming from outside the EU, though usually customs don't pick-up on it unless it's a large and/or high-value item.

In a single order all items have to be ordered from the same warehouse - so if you start placing an order with an order from the UK warehouse you can't then add an item from the international warehouse - you'd need to start a new order for that.

Frank Skilbeck08/12/2013 16:45:53
4872 forum posts
110 photos

Generally buying from the UK warehouse works out less expensive on larger items, and as it's shipped in the UK you are less likely to attract VAT etc even though the UK warehouse is technically only doing freight forwarding and you are still ordering the goods from Hong Kong.

WolstonFlyer08/12/2013 17:00:09
2104 forum posts
189 photos

I was under the impression that all of the tax etc is already paid when you buy from the UK warehouse, this is why the price is higher? I have never paid any extra fees for orders from the Euro warehouse either but the delivery has taken longer.

Barry G.08/12/2013 17:28:42
17 forum posts

Looking at the Bixler 2 which is about 111 dollars, but the postage for it comes out at 58 Dollars. This seems rather expensive or am I doing it wrong. ?

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator08/12/2013 17:40:39
6765 forum posts
199 photos

Sounds like you are trying to order from the Hong Kong warehouse Barry.....seems the ready to fly version at 111USD is only available from HK..... the UK version seems to be just the kit which requires all the servos, ESC, motor etc buying seperately.....see here

Barry G.08/12/2013 17:54:00
17 forum posts

Ah. Ok Steve thanks. I could get the kit version, but I am not sure if when I order the other parts separately, I will be ordering the correct parts for it. I will have to try contacting them.

PatMc08/12/2013 18:19:01
4488 forum posts
548 photos

Here's the Bixler 2 (ARF) version from UK warehouse at $82.57 + P&P - motor & 4 servos fitted - requires 20 - 30A ESC + 2 more servos if flaps to be used.

Edited By PatMc on 08/12/2013 18:20:16

Paul Marsh08/12/2013 21:29:49
4112 forum posts
1245 photos

Why on earth is HK so confusing? I was caught out - or should I say confused a while ago and paid £175 gpb for a foam flying wing, which got done twice via customs, as although I ordered uk warehouse, still said dollers and came from international warehouse.

I mentioned it here (on this forum - got deleted) and to HK, that their system is pathetic - and the price you buy it for isn't the price you pay. Totally unacceptable!

They (HK) still haven't changed their site, and I would never ever buy from them again, even though I want the small Hawk jet edf fan really bad.

$ is not £, so why on earth do you lot support HK? crying

Martin McIntosh08/12/2013 22:03:55
3632 forum posts
1248 photos

I had a recent problem with some minor items, as did a fellow club member, which were ordered from the UK site but were actually shipped from HK. These could easily have been heavier or more expensive which would have attracted the customs, incurred a longer delay and the good old Post Office would have charged 14 quid to collect the VAT.

I never seem to get any sense out of HobbyKing when I question them.

Barry G.08/12/2013 22:05:05
17 forum posts

Finally managed to get around this site but why use dollars on the UK site.Its silly. postage was 7 dollars which is better than the 69 dollars from Hong Kong. Not sure if I will use this site again.

Pete B - Moderator08/12/2013 22:27:23
7685 forum posts
735 photos

Strange how when someone buys an item from any US, European or Far East dealer there never seems to be the slightest difficulty in understanding a simple currency transaction, yet when HK come into the picture it all goes pear-shaped.....dont know

Can't see the problem, myself. If it's all too difficult, go somewhere else....smile

Pete

Martin McIntosh08/12/2013 22:33:24
3632 forum posts
1248 photos

Barry, on the checkout page there is a list of postal options. Just click on the one you prefer. They will always tick the most expensive one.

John Privett08/12/2013 22:35:30
6108 forum posts
243 photos
Posted by Barry G. on 08/12/2013 22:05:05:

Finally managed to get around this site but why use dollars on the UK site.Its silly. postage was 7 dollars which is better than the 69 dollars from Hong Kong. Not sure if I will use this site again.

Barry, it's not a UK site. You're ordering stuff from a company in Hong Kong, Some of their goods are stocked in warehouses located in various parts of the world, including the UK, for faster/cheaper delivery. They charge us in US$ because that is the currency they deal in when buying from their suppliers. I guess if they accepted payments in other currencies that would mean higher prices as they'd need extra staff and facilities to do the pricing and handle the payments, and they'd need to build in higher margins to guard against currency fluctuations.

Their website is a bit of a nightmare (in my opinion) and several people have demonstrated how easy it is to think you're ordering from the UK warehouse, but instead to actually order from the international warehouse in error. Note that you can't order from two different warehouses in the same order.

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator08/12/2013 23:07:30
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
Posted by Paul Marsh on 08/12/2013 21:29:49:

Why on earth is HK so confusing? I was caught out - or should I say confused a while ago and paid £175 gpb for a foam flying wing, which got done twice via customs, as although I ordered uk warehouse, still said dollers and came from international warehouse.

I mentioned it here (on this forum - got deleted) and to HK, that their system is pathetic - and the price you buy it for isn't the price you pay. Totally unacceptable!

They (HK) still haven't changed their site, and I would never ever buy from them again, even though I want the small Hawk jet edf fan really bad.

$ is not £, so why on earth do you lot support HK? crying

Paul, your previous post (which I don't remember) was probably deleted because, if this one is anything to go by, it contained a great deal of comment which was both ill-informed, incorrect - and possibly even libelous! Now this current post fits the first two - but possibly avoids the third!

First of all let me be clear - I am no fan of HK - and I've never made a secret of that fact. I also think that thier website is possibly the worse designed, slowest and overly complicated of any major company I've ever encountered. But,...to be fair, they are not somehow setting out to fool or deceive anyone.

As John says above HK are a global business, to reduce costs (which everyone wants) they trade in one single currency everywhere in the world. Unsurprisingly that currency is USD. What you will actually pay is the USD price - and that is clear and they honour that 100%.

If you want to see the approximate price in UKP the site will do that for you - simply select your currency at the top of the screen. But as stated this can only be an approximate price in pounds because there is no way that HK can know:

1. Exactly what the exchange rate will be when your purchase - in USD - is converted to UKP at your end.
  2. What rate the bank, or PalPal or the credit card company will give you for that exchange.

So - the UKP price can only be an approximation. In my limited experience of dealing with HK its a fairly accurate approximation - certainly with 1% or so.

Again regarding where the goods come from - I find (as I say based even on my limited experience of the website) that it quite clear wether you are buying goods that are already in the UK (at the UK warehouse) or wether they are in the "Global warehouse". So you know if postage and/or customs duties are likely to be an issue and furthermore you get a clear statement of what the postage is going to be.

I'd totally agree that the system is complex - that you have to be constantly aware of wether you are "plugged in" to the UK, European or Global warehouse. If the system is too troublesome or complex for you then OK, don't order from them. But don't imply that in someway they are dishonest or deceiving you - because that's simply not true!

I reiterate - I'm no fan of theirs - I don't like what they are doing to the whole model industry. But I don't accuse them of dishonest business practices.

BEB

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Subscribe now
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!