First WWI scale warbird build

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Christopher Eeles16/09/2020 04:31:39
31 forum posts
15 photos
Posted by Ted Khinsoe on 22/08/2020 14:34:14:

c11013ca-fe1a-4bd9-beff-54e98c39ec7b.jpegHello good to see a fellow colonial

i built one a couple of years back. The covers supplied with the kit are very flimsy and I think would be a simple matter to make from ply and add vents from styrene or litho (aluminium cans are useful). I’d be happy to take measurements of mine if you wish. The photo is mine before I crashed and had to rebuild the front end requiring reshaping the lower part of the nose

Ted

Hi Ted,

Can you tell me about the finishing of your model please? Is it an antique solartex colour and/or painted fuselage etc...thinking of also goimg that colour scheme...

Cheers

Chris

Edited By Ted Khinsoe on 22/08/2020 14:38:14

Christopher Eeles18/09/2020 10:53:31
31 forum posts
15 photos
Posted by jeff2wings on 04/02/2016 21:55:50:

A bit like this then

imga0760.jpg

imga0015.jpg

Jeff or Nigel...I'm assuming when building the aileron as a separate unit and using the method above you used a thicker or laminated leading edge piece so you could make the half round shape? I'm also assuming that the aileron ribs front faces are then cut square (perpendicular) as there's no need to tapes them like the original plan?

Christopher Eeles21/09/2020 10:56:21
31 forum posts
15 photos

Top wingA wet and windy day here today, typical spring weather in Southern Australia. No chance to go flying so a productive day in the workshop. Top wing basically complete apart from servo covers and sanding. I've used LOTS of tips from members here which has helped a great deal to improve the build and avoid stuff ups etc. I also tackled the interplane struts which were actually pretty easy. Still need final sanding and shaping.

Next are the ailerons...building them like Jeff and Nigel with rounded leading edge, robart hinges etc.

I have to scratch-₩build the undercarriage "wing" because the ribs were missing from the kit but I have the templates on the main rib sheets and I can use the waste ply from the same sheets to make new ribs. Easy job...fortunately all the hardware for the undercarriage is still there. (I know the original kit owner started on the build but stopped almost straight away so I think that's where the undercart ribs ended up..in his shed somewhere lol)

I found, like Nigel, that the strut mounting system in the wings was actually pretty straight forward once I stopped stressing about it lol.

Cheers Chris

Interplane struts

Edited By Christopher Eeles on 21/09/2020 10:58:19

Harrier Mate21/09/2020 21:18:12
208 forum posts
74 photos

Coming along nicely Chris. Yours will be finished before mine!

Christopher Eeles22/09/2020 04:31:17
31 forum posts
15 photos

Maybe Nigel, but it won't be as nice as yours!

Cheers

Chris

jeff2wings10/10/2020 12:39:59
824 forum posts
2041 photos

Hi guys ,can you tell me how much down thrust the engine has ??

Ted Khinsoe10/10/2020 15:03:36
32 forum posts
25 photos

Hi Chris sorry for the late reply. The fuselage is covered in sig koverall wings solartex with light spray of white enamel to lighten an give it an uneven finish. Decals inkjet printed testors waterslide. Matt water based “urethane” over the top.

ted

Edited By Ted Khinsoe on 10/10/2020 15:09:59

Ted Khinsoe10/10/2020 15:40:04
32 forum posts
25 photos

Pics of my servo installation as I wanted to use cables rather than pushrods for the tail. I also used SBUS for the aileron servos using the struts as connections to the wing. You can see one connection point soldered to a nut on the side of the fuseimg_2314.jpgimg_2313.jpg

Edited By Ted Khinsoe on 10/10/2020 15:43:37

Christopher Eeles13/10/2020 07:38:48
31 forum posts
15 photos

Hi All...Ted....great photos and info. I’m currently away camping for a month so no modelling unfortunately but I did get most of the main construction completed before we left last week so all awaits when we get back!

I’ve managed to acquire some wheels and a mate 3D printed the guns and pilot for me so happy days.

I’ve sorted in my mind how to do the electric conversion so like Jeff I need to ensure the correct thrust lines for the new firewall !

cheers all

Chris

Trevor13/10/2020 09:37:18
509 forum posts
61 photos

That's a beautiful installation. I also like the tapered 'V' slots for the wing dowels - I might crib that idea!

I'm guessing your practice of wrapping the receiver in foam comes from flying with crystal-controlled receivers. Modern 2.4GHz receivers don't have these fragile crystals but do have microprocessors churning away which can generate rather more heat than the old FM sets. It's unlikely to be a significant issue in practice, but you might like to think about incorporating a bit of ventilation into the receiver wrapping.

Thanks for an interesting thread.

Trevor

Christopher Eeles13/10/2020 11:48:10
31 forum posts
15 photos

Hi Trevor,

The V wing dowel plate is the actual one supplied in the kit.

It’s a great idea! Agreed that Ted’s installation is excellent!

I’m also going to follow his idea of covering... it will be a new experience for me to use koverall

cheers

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!