Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

modelling knives

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
thunderstreak.keith24/12/2013 02:55:42
283 forum posts
121 photos

Bought at poundland, 2 large red, 2 medium blue, 3 small yellow. I was cheesed off with using my expensive swann moreton blades for cutting tissue/nylon/celuloid, forever changing the blade. these are ideal and as they are snap off blades youve got a cheap sharp blade for the job. ( not recom. for precision cutting of balsa/ply parts)

thunderstreak.keith24/12/2013 02:59:03
283 forum posts
121 photos

001.jpg

thunderstreak.keith24/12/2013 03:01:22
283 forum posts
121 photos

cost? £1 for about 10 blades per knife.

Dave Miller24/12/2013 10:17:32
341 forum posts
27 photos

Of topic slightly but that's not much of a saving over surgical blades

By the way I can recommend the use of the Swann Morton Blade Remover from the same site. yes

Kevin Wilson24/12/2013 11:06:36
383 forum posts
13 photos

Cheers Dave teeth

That site is going to relieve me of some money wink

Depron Daz24/12/2013 11:24:17
760 forum posts
173 photos

I recently got 100 #11's Swann Morten blades from ebay, all boxed and wrapped for £10 with free P+P. Some people are charging silly money even just for 5 or 10.

Jez Harris 124/12/2013 11:32:10
563 forum posts
1380 photos

I save a bit of money on blades by using them initially for cuting tex and film, then, when slightly dull keeping them for use on balsa - still more than sharp enough for that.

Jez

thunderstreak.keith24/12/2013 11:54:42
283 forum posts
121 photos

Dave well for cutting tissue/nylon when you need a perfectly sharp blade to avoid tearing, I thought it was a bargain. 70 + blades for a quid? compared with swann moreton I think its definately cheaper. was just trying to be helpful thought that was what this section was for. whether you follow up on other peoples finds is entirely up to yourself

Dave Miller24/12/2013 12:05:20
341 forum posts
27 photos
Posted by thunderstreak.keith on 24/12/2013 11:54:42:

Dave well for cutting tissue/nylon when you need a perfectly sharp blade to avoid tearing, I thought it was a bargain. 70 + blades for a quid? compared with swann moreton I think its definately cheaper. was just trying to be helpful thought that was what this section was for. whether you follow up on other peoples finds is entirely up to yourself

I'm not getting at you, merely pointing out an alternative.

By-the-way you said that they "cost? £1 for about 10 blades per knife." in the thread I replied too so I'm a little confused that you now say that they were "70+ blades for a quid?" which is obviously much more of a bargain.

The price I quoted is for surgical blades I think that they sell non-surgical versions slightly cheaper.

Essjay24/12/2013 12:23:09
578 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Dave Miller on 24/12/2013 12:05:20:

By-the-way you said that they "cost? £1 for about 10 blades per knife." in the thread I replied too so I'm a little confused that you now say that they were "70+ blades for a quid?" which is obviously much more of a bargain.

The price I quoted is for surgical blades I think that they sell non-surgical versions slightly cheaper.

If there are 7 knives, each with 10 blades, all for a pound, then I make that 70 blades for a quid!

Dave Miller24/12/2013 13:16:53
341 forum posts
27 photos
Posted by Essjay on 24/12/2013 12:23:09:
Posted by Dave Miller on 24/12/2013 12:05:20:

If there are 7 knives, each with 10 blades, all for a pound, then I make that 70 blades for a quid!

So would I but that wasn't what was posted unfortunately hence our confusion but the point has now been clarified.

Essjay24/12/2013 13:57:46
578 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Dave Miller on 24/12/2013 13:16:53:

So would I but that wasn't what was posted unfortunately hence our confusion but the point has now been clarified.

The OP posted a picture of a pack of 7 knives with snap-off blades for £1.00, and qualified it by saying "£1.00 for 10 blades per knife, so I reckon that was exactly what was posted, and it was not our confusion......just yours!

Merry Christmas

Ernie24/12/2013 15:24:25
2502 forum posts
20 photos

Hi all, What about the pleasure opf working with a high quality well designed tool? I wouldn't touch cheap stuff.

ernie

kc24/12/2013 16:05:10
5870 forum posts
168 photos
You dont need to buy huge quantities to get Swann Morton blades at a reasonable price. Every year one stand at the mid January Alexandra Palace show has genuine Swann M blades at about 75 pence for 5. If I remember correctly it was the SHG Marine stand. Everywhere else was alot dearer.
Next time you buy a scalpel buy a Swann Morton Retractaway handle which takes all the usual scalpel 10A blades etc. Hardly any dearer than a plain scalpel and it holds the blade just as firmly but of course retracts for safety.
I keep one scalpel for general use and one for special critical use.
A rather elderly craftsman used to demonstrate marquetry at the Model Eng exhibitons and he showed me how to resharpen scalpel blades - he just reduced the point back a fraction on an oilstone. He didnt sharpen the edge at all just formed a new point. Suitable for the cuts into veneer and probably thin balsa.
thunderstreak.keith25/12/2013 02:05:11
283 forum posts
121 photos

merry xmas all, lets hope my minimoa build thread is a bit clearer than my post on yer. I still think 7 knives with 10 (or 12) snap off blades is a bargain. especially all I wanted them for is cutting covering material. Yes, surgical blades are cheap bought in bulk but living where I do the nearest model shop is 50 miles away and when all you want is blades ordering online can work out expensive when you factor in postage. so I like to use my scapel blades for my balsa work and normally order more when i order other things (wood/nylon dope etc.) so these blades were ideal for me for the job that I needed them for. Didnt intend the thread to go the way it did, lets see what finds I get in the new year and start afresh. merry christmas all lets get the Minimoa finished

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Motion RC
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Revoc
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us