Building Tony's Beaufighter

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Robert Parker21/12/2015 12:47:17
975 forum posts
1321 photos

Hi Will,

I haven't flown her yet, for the following reasons

We share our flying field with a football and rugby pitches plus an adjoining trotting / speedway track and we lost a lot of flying time this year to sporting fixtures, in fact this has been the worst year ever for our club and we are trying to find a new field to fry from which has not been easy so far.

When there have been no sporting fixtures the weather has not been very agreeable, plus factor in work and family time, I think I only managed to get to the field about half a dozen times this year which has meant I'm a little rusty on the sticks.

And finally, my building skills are better than my flying skills and I want to get more time flying to improve my skills to a level where I think I could handle her.

Next year, I want to get my "B" cert, once I have done that then I'll go for it.

Regards

Robert

chris meek 126/01/2017 20:56:18
150 forum posts
112 photos
Hi Robert, know you've been busy with other projects but any news on the first flight yet? Am considering one as a future build after the mosquito so I have a proper strike wing!!

Chris.
sharpy107127/01/2017 16:23:15
109 forum posts
36 photos

p7092436.jpgp7092429.jpgHi Robert, just to give you some encouragement to fly your Beau here's some photos of my Flair Beau. I know how you feel about first flights and varous other things associated with flying but i'm sure yours will just as good if not better than mine to fly. these photos are first flight it was just a great big pussy cat. Beaus look great in the air, especially in attack mode, diving in and flying low and fast across the target. Good luck i'm sure it will fly as good as it looks. Brianp7092422 (3).jpg

Robert Parker27/01/2017 16:47:03
975 forum posts
1321 photos

Hi Chris,

I like the sound of your own strike wing, the Beaufighter builds great and if she flies as well as my TN Lancaster then I'm in for a treat.

I have not maidened the Beaufighter as yet but I will.

Having said that, I am at the present recovering from an operation to my left shoulder which being left handed has made life a little interesting these past few weeks.For instance, I've had to learn to use a mouse and keyboard with my right hand and by doing so I keep hitting a lot of wrong keys, so a short piece of text can get very frustratingangry to say the least.

And secondly, I'm a bit reluctant to fly her after maidening my 12 year old my TN Lancaster and my own Short Sterling. Both of which I tried to fly back in November and both suffered undercarriage problems, as for the Beaufighter it also has the same own design of leg which bent very easily, the Lancaster came in to the most gentle landing and one of the 4mm piano wire pins between the u/c unit and the 1/2" sq steel bar holding the legs bent back so that was that for the day. Next I tried to maiden the Stirling, she swung towards the pits just after lift off, I cut the power and she rolled into the windsock post again bending the same pin.

dsc00147 (1024x681).jpg

Beaufighter leg and Stirling drawing

dsc09139.jpg

dsc09142.jpg

I have straightened out the leg but not confident about flying her as she is a few pounds heavier than the Lanc

The Lancaster is sorted, I treated myself to a set of Tony's electric retracts for Xmas and will fit them when my recovery allows.

As for the Beaufighter and Stirling, I need to look at trying to strengthen the pin, they are as short as they can go without fowling the retract unit.

Anyone have any thoughts, how to resolve this issue?

One that has crossed my mind is getting hold of a say 9mm bar and turning both ends down to 4mm, which is way beyond my personal capabilities and workshop tools.

I have also incorporated the same design into my present design the FW200 Condor, I'm hoping by the time I get to building it I will have come up with a solution, hopefully.

Regards

Robert

Edited By Robert Parker on 27/01/2017 16:48:04

Robert Parker27/01/2017 16:48:59
975 forum posts
1321 photos

Hi Brian,

Great photos of your beau, I will fly her but see my above post

Regards

Robert

Edited By Robert Parker on 27/01/2017 16:49:12

chris meek 127/01/2017 19:17:38
150 forum posts
112 photos

Hi Robert, would it work to reduce the length of the pin so that the horizontal bar sits flush against the bottom of the retract unit - then lengthen the legs to get it back to original overall length. Difficult to explain but by doing that would you stop bending forces going through the 4mm pin? Or shim it up with an aluminium block drilled through for the pin to fit through - either way would increase the thickness of material that the bending forces are transmitted through and hopefully make it stronger. Hope the rough sketches explain what I'm thinking!

chris meek 127/01/2017 19:20:32
150 forum posts
112 photos

dsc_1027.jpg

Robert Parker27/01/2017 19:33:50
975 forum posts
1321 photos

Hi Chris,

The option "A", reducing the pin length cannot be done as the 12mm bar will hit the retract body sides, this would be an ideal option as all of the bending forces going through the pin.

Option "B", inserting a shim / collar could be worth considering when I'm up to it.

Regards

Robert

chris meek 127/01/2017 19:46:36
150 forum posts
112 photos

Hokey dokey, hope you're feeling better soon. Hopefully it will work ok. smiley

Chris

chris meek 127/01/2017 19:53:33
150 forum posts
112 photos

Now Robert if you ever fancy designing a vickers Warwick for 2 x. 40 two strokes it would give me the full set, used as Air sea rescue for the strikes to Norway. wink

Chris

Robert Parker25/05/2020 11:40:21
975 forum posts
1321 photos

Hi All,

I have listed some details and articles from the build after a message I received.

This has also reminded me that I still have not modified the u/c or flown her yet.

Part 1.

epson158.jpg

epson159.jpg

epson160.jpg

252_squadron_raf_beaufighter_cockpit_at_chivenor_iwm_ch_17305.jpg

beaufighter-mkvif-raf-96sqn-zjr-v8748-wgcdr-edward-crew-church-fenton-and-drem-aug-1943-profile-0a.jpg

Robert Parker25/05/2020 11:51:47
975 forum posts
1321 photos

Part 2

epson161.jpg

epson162.jpg

epson163.jpg

epson164.jpg

epson165.jpg

epson166.jpg

epson167.jpg

epson168.jpg

As I am almost finished my TF P40 build, I will revisit the undercarriage situation as here in Wales we are still in lockdown I still cannot fly.

I hope this info is of help Doug

Regards

Robert

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!