Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Speed with Guy Martin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
FastFlyer Smyth06/01/2014 00:24:25
309 forum posts
12 photos

I aint a big fan of this bloke but his new series is quite entertaining on Channel 4. Anyhoo's next week his prog is about the worlds fastest human powered aircraft which he will cycle into the air. Channel 4 8 pm 12th January.

Enjoy.

FastFlyer Smyth12/01/2014 11:15:35
309 forum posts
12 photos

Just a "bump" to remind everyone this is on tonight.

Frank Skilbeck12/01/2014 12:13:21
4608 forum posts
101 photos
Posted by FastFlyer Smyth on 06/01/2014 00:24:25:

I aint a big fan of this bloke but his new series is quite entertaining on Channel 4. .

Enjoy.

Yep got it on record, apparently Clarkson/May/Hammond weren't available........................... and Guy didn't want to go round the TT course at 4mph either.

Martin Harris13/01/2014 01:16:22
9171 forum posts
242 photos

Just finished watching the recording...

I want that blue foam cutting machine! The programme was the usual entertaining combination of Guy Martin being Guy Martin, interesting technology, a bit of technobabble (although not too bad) and the odd bit of sensationalism such as the competition finish (or beat up!) in the glider being the province of a handful of the most expert pilots in the country...

All in all a very enjoyable watch - my main disappointment was that Guy was actually only the engine - but at least the aircraft ended up as an RC 1:1 version. I wonder if the LMA were involved in certification?

Edited By Martin Harris on 13/01/2014 01:17:54

Matthew Leese13/01/2014 07:34:50
12 forum posts
1 photos

Yes I enjoyed watching this too. Earlier in the year, Ali MAchinchy spent a day filming with Guy Martin at Breighton Airfield where he taught him to fly a Parkzone Radian electric glider (there are picturs of this day on Alis Facebook page). I was expecting to see this in the program tonight but I can only conclude that this part was cut unless anyone knows otherwise?

Lee Smalley13/01/2014 12:46:12
2125 forum posts
68 photos
2 articles

yeah disappointed he was just a donkey and passenger

Martin Whybrow13/01/2014 22:14:10
884 forum posts
33 photos

I enjoyed that as well. One thing that puzzled me was that he was trying to break a record of 26 MPH; he registered 29MPH, but for some reason they deducted the 7MPH headwind and credited him with 22MPH. Surely, if they measured an IAS of 29MPH, then he had an airspeed of 29MPH, if he had a GPS (ground) speed of 29MPH, then he had an airspeed of 36MPH; anyone understand what that was about?

John Privett13/01/2014 23:37:40
6037 forum posts
240 photos

You would normally expect a speed record to be set by travelling between measured points on the ground and by making two runs in opposite directions to counter the effects of any wind. Thus it's the average groundspeed over the two runs that normally counts.

This comp seems to be a bit different. I guess what they're really saying is that he managed (possibly only momentarily?) to acheive a groundspeed of 22mph, which they could argue means that with a 7mph headwind he was actually doing 29mph airspeed. Except that they presented the argument the other way round!

Phil Green14/01/2014 10:07:42
1555 forum posts
315 photos

I'm sure they would have done even better with an experienced R/C flyer on the controls.  As it was he yanked it up, just about stalled it, then mushed it along killing all Guy's hard-earned inertia.  All the effort that went into lowering drag was wasted by dumb thumbs!    Guy Martin is an inspiration, a real star.

Cheers

Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 14/01/2014 11:46:41

Mowerman14/01/2014 10:33:27
1548 forum posts
105 photos

I do not want to pour cold water on Guy's efforts, Yes amore experienced pilot may have flown better, a top cyclist (Hoy,Wiggins,Boardman etc) may have flown further but credit to Guy he put in a lot of effort and training, I am full of admiration for what he achieved.

Bob Cotsford14/01/2014 12:50:49
8260 forum posts
454 photos

totally fearless nutter, Guy Martin. A very fast racer, certainly top 5 on the roads but he's never quite got to the top step on a regular basis. He's entertaining but I think maybe a little too eccentric for prolonged exposure. I can't help wondering whether all this fitness training will benefit him on the Irish road races and the IOM TT.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CADMA
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us