All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Brian Hammond30/01/2014 15:35:35
295 forum posts

Thank you Chris

Simon B30/01/2014 17:35:08
1936 forum posts
284 photos

I thought briefly about a module, but then worked out if I sold my receivers i'd make enough from the second hand values to replace ALL my spektrum ones with the stupidly cheap Frsky ones. That said this thread has proven immensely useful for when I want some BNF micro that has to have a DSM2 Tx!

WolstonFlyer24/02/2014 12:59:53
2104 forum posts
189 photos

Hi Chris

I am thinking of getting a Taranis but I have a lot of Spectrum DSMX receivers and 6 channel Orange DSM2 in indoor foamies.

I have a "spare" DX5e transmitter, do you have a circuit diagram and details of the parts that you used in your module? Thanks

Chris Bott - Moderator24/02/2014 13:27:37
6651 forum posts
1381 photos
1 articles

Hi WF

I've put more details including a wiring diagram in this thread . There are plenty of comments from others there too.

Just for anyone contemplating doing this, I'd only attempt this if your electronics desoldering/soldering skills are up to scratch. Remember it's a critical link in the safety of any model it's used for.

Note, that the 5 pin connector that is part of the Corona module is easily broken away from it's PCB, take great care with this, and re-solder as necessary.

Having said that, I'll be really interested to see how you get on.

Cheers
Chris

WolstonFlyer24/02/2014 20:14:16
2104 forum posts
189 photos

Hi Chris, thanks for the link with the further details, it is a nice project.

It's a shame the low cost Corona module is out of stock at Giant Shark sad

Chris Bott - Moderator24/02/2014 20:34:34
6651 forum posts
1381 photos
1 articles

Try a Google for SPM6817E.

I believe it fits, the downside is that the aerial doesn't fold down.

Or you might find something like this somewhere?

C Norton26/02/2014 19:54:19
170 forum posts

Hi Chris, fascinating project and well done! As one who is considering buying a Taranis system but still has too many Spektrum RX's to be able to afford to change them all to the native system, I have to ask a possibly dumb question. Does the Taranis TX have to have the open source software installed for this mod to work or will the factory software work ok?

Thanks, Chris

GONZO26/02/2014 22:01:22
1251 forum posts
13 photos

Did someone ask if there was a Futaba FASST module that fits the JR style module fitting on the Taranis?

Try here ror a 12 ch unit **LINK**

Bit pricey though!!!!

HTH

could be this should be in the 'user chat' thread

Edited By GONZO on 26/02/2014 22:04:32

Chris Bott - Moderator26/02/2014 23:41:09
6651 forum posts
1381 photos
1 articles
Posted by C Norton on 26/02/2014 19:54:19:

Hi Chris, fascinating project and well done! As one who is considering buying a Taranis system but still has too many Spektrum RX's to be able to afford to change them all to the native system, I have to ask a possibly dumb question. Does the Taranis TX have to have the open source software installed for this mod to work or will the factory software work ok?

Thanks, Chris

Chris the Taranis native software is the open source stuff.

They have been very cute and cut out the huge development costs, and built the Taranis around the software. Which works very well indeed, as they haven't limited any functions to make it fit into a price point like other manufacturers seem to.

Martin Rowe 128/11/2014 17:40:51
119 forum posts

Hi everyone I realise this is a old thread, however.

I have been flying for about a year know. My first and only TR is Dx6i. Unfortunately I lost a model using it. People from my club gave me the not surprised speech.

So I have ordered a taranis. Although I intend to replace my orange receivers I,still have a fair few on indoor models etc on spectrum can you buy this module pre built?

appreciate any help

Chris Jones 728/11/2014 18:17:29
282 forum posts

HobbyKing do a DSM2 module that just plugs in the back. If I remember correctly it's about £20. I use it for my bind and fly stuff and apart from an annoying tendency to drop its bind occasionally I've had no problems with it.

GrahamC28/11/2014 18:32:24
1229 forum posts
196 photos

I use the orange DSM2 module from HK for BNF a few perkily models and a Trex 250. I've found it works fine. The only issue is that you will need to manually alter the mode of the module so that it correlates with the model.

My MCPX binds in DSMX and my Trex in DSM2 - so I need to change the mode of the module when switching between the models. That is done by pressing the bind button three times and the unit cycles through the three available modes.

Range isn't enormous - but fine for park fly stuff and foamies.

Phil Green28/11/2014 20:10:50
1510 forum posts
307 photos

I'm not sure if Chris is around so I hope he doesn't mind me chipping in...

Yes the OrangeRx module will work in the Taranis, but it doesn't integrate with the Taranis firmware, it is just a dumb module and takes no part in model-match etc, the only link between the Taranis and the OrangeRx module is PPM which carries no intelligence other than channel positions.

The point of Chris's thread is to create a module which does talk native Spektrum protocol with the Taranis, and therefore integrates fully into the Taranis system, its menus and controls. As a solution for DSM2 and DSMX it is a far superior setup. As far as I'm aware there is no commercial equivalent of Chris's module.

The OrangeRx modules are full power, full range modules, If you're getting anything less, there is something wrong, maybe the aerial, possibly at the rx end, maybe (unlikely) a module fault - but a healthy OrangeRx module paired with a decent rx and installation is good for several kilometres. Its not a 'park' system as such.

Finally it would be most unusual for a module/rx combination to lose bind. This would mean the eeprom contents were lost or corrupted. Some refer to a dropped link or a reluctance to link as a lost bind - almost certainly it isn't!

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 28/11/2014 20:11:59

GONZO28/11/2014 20:32:18
1251 forum posts
13 photos

The OrangeRx module is only available from the HK international warehouse and therein lies the problem. I've just ordered and recieved one for a friend. The total cost, at the then exchange rate, was £21.91(inc post). This put it above the £15 limit and it attracted the import VAT of £3.73 plus the Post Office fee of £8, total £11.73. This increases the cost to a total of £33.64. So, not so cheap but not that bad as it does DSM2 and DSMX. They work fine in the Taranis and automatically detect the Rx best mode(DSM2/DSMX @1024/2048) on initial bind. But, once bound you have to manually change the module mode if moving between DSM2/DSMX with different model Rx.

HTH

Chris Bott - Moderator28/11/2014 20:38:48
6651 forum posts
1381 photos
1 articles

Hi Phil, yes I'm around and I certainly don't mind at all. You hit the nail squarely on the head about the advantages.

I've read reports (that I can't confirm or otherwise) that if you have a selection of different receivers and need to switch the OrangeRC module between DSM2 and DSMX, bind is lost from the previous type of receiver. This may or may not be true, but would certainly be an inconvenience.

There is another commercial option. The Spektrum DM9 (DSM2 only) module. If you can get one.
However I expect that this too only takes the PPM signal, so some features of using the self build module are lost.

GONZO28/11/2014 20:49:36
1251 forum posts
13 photos

As I said above, the bind is not lost but you do have to manually change the mode if changing between DSM2 and DSMX receivers. No big deal, just give the bind button three quick press and it moves to the next option in the rotation. On a point of correction there are 4 modes:- 1/ DSM2 at 1024, 2/ DSM2 at 2048, 3/ DSMX at 1024, 4/ DSMX at 2048. All this is from personal/practical experience as I have all the parts.

HTH

Chris Bott - Moderator28/11/2014 21:15:01
6651 forum posts
1381 photos
1 articles

Cheers Gonzo, good to have that clarified thumbs up

Chris Jones 728/11/2014 21:15:04
282 forum posts

thanks!Posted by GONZO on 28/11/2014 20:49:36:

As I said above, the bind is not lost but you do have to manually change the mode if changing between DSM2 and DSMX receivers. No big deal, just give the bind button three quick press and it moves to the next option in the rotation. On a point of correction there are 4 modes:- 1/ DSM2 at 1024, 2/ DSM2 at 2048, 3/ DSMX at 1024, 4/ DSMX at 2048. All this is from personal/practical experience as I have all the parts.

HTH

Well you live and you learn! Bet that's why mine needs binding between models then.

GONZO28/11/2014 21:31:46
1251 forum posts
13 photos

No, you don't need to rebind using the bind plug in the receiver etc. Just quickly change the mode on the module to the correct one.

Chris Bott - Moderator28/11/2014 21:37:15
6651 forum posts
1381 photos
1 articles

I found a DM9 for sale, not cheap, but proper Spekky. BRC Hobbies

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CML
Addlestone Models
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us