Forum sponsored by CML

Spektrum module for Taranis

An electronic project

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mike Blandford22/04/2015 11:00:23
521 forum posts
22 photos

I test flew with this 'new' module in a Taranis (Plus) yesterday, previously I had been using a 9X with the SKY board upgrade. All worked as well as before. Still using ersky9x firmware. I'm looking at getting the module driver code imported into openTx.

Same model, with the Lemon stabiliser receiver. All 8 channels work. On the Taranis I set the left slider up to control the master gain on channel 8, as well as mixing in throttle on channel 8 so the gain reduced as I increased the throttle above half.

Mike.

Chris Bott - Moderator22/04/2015 14:30:41
6650 forum posts
1381 photos
1 articles

Sounds perfect Mike thumbs up thanks for the update. Keep keeping us posted, ta.

WolstonFlyer31/05/2015 00:09:17
2104 forum posts
189 photos

I finally got around to making up my DSMX module... things take time at my house!

Here are my photographs

dsmx1.jpg

dsmx2.jpg

With the DX5 module installed, held in place with a couple of layers of thick double sided tape.

dsmx3.jpg

dsmx4.jpg

Finally assembled thumbs up

dsmx5.jpg

It is just after midnight so I have only done a quick bind test to an AR400 but it all seemed to work ok, bound instantly and wiggling the sticks made the servo's move.

Will do a proper range test tomorrow or Monday but I feeling quite pleased with myself

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 31/05/2015 00:16:20

Chris Bott - Moderator31/05/2015 21:34:46
6650 forum posts
1381 photos
1 articles

Ooh that is a step up from the veroboard isn't it? Nice job WF thumbs up

WolstonFlyer03/06/2015 20:46:18
2104 forum posts
189 photos
Thanks Chris, the circuit board makes it a very easy project!
Phil Green25/09/2015 19:01:56
1510 forum posts
307 photos

I have an empty Corona JR-style module case, just like the one on Chris's opening post...

Its up for grabs if anyone wants it.

Cheers
Phil

PS forgot to say, no charge for it

By the way, for those who dislike waste, the guts of Chris's Corona module shown in his 3rd post live on and are in regular use in one of Doug Campbells single-channel sets!

Edited By Phil Green on 25/09/2015 19:06:26

Neil R01/10/2015 13:43:59
22 forum posts

I fancy a go at this!

Cheeky request - since these come in minimums of 3 - has anybody got a spare OSH Park circuit board they'd consider selling to me? Happy to pay fair share.

Thanks, Neil.

Phil Green19/11/2015 23:43:09
1510 forum posts
307 photos
Posted by Phil Green on 25/09/2015 19:01:56:

I have an empty Corona JR-style module case, just like the one on Chris's opening post...

Its up for grabs if anyone wants it.

Cheers
Phil

PS forgot to say, no charge for it

No takers, so still up for grabs, one empty Corona JR-style case exactly like Chris's in his 3rd post.
Free to a good home.

Dave Bran20/11/2015 08:21:15
1898 forum posts
5 photos

Yes, Please Phil!!

Phil Green20/11/2015 08:39:39
1510 forum posts
307 photos

No problem, PM your address Dave  [Ah I see you already did ! ]

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 20/11/2015 08:41:08

Gary Lashley17/04/2016 23:30:34
1 forum posts

Can anyone confirm if this module from a Dx5 is compatible? I cannot get it to bind. Thank you.

N Pritchett26/05/2016 23:57:44
4 forum posts

Hi Gary,

Got the same problem. Mine won't bind with any DMX receiver.

Have checked the receivers which will bind with a DX8. So the receivers are OK.

Trying an AR400 receiver using DSM2 - DSMX setting on the Taranis plus.

Anyone know if there has been a change in the TX firmware that could be causing this issue?

Kevin Fairgrieve27/05/2016 08:04:29
1588 forum posts
2844 photos
Posted by Gary Lashley on 17/04/2016 23:30:34:

Can anyone confirm if this module from a Dx5 is compatible? I cannot get it to bind. Thank you.

See my post one page back. I am using the same module, with no issue`s

Kev

WolstonFlyer27/05/2016 08:39:28
2104 forum posts
189 photos
I have the sam DX5e module and it works perfectly. Have you set the Internary RF module to off and enabled the external module slot and set it to DSMX ?
WolstonFlyer27/05/2016 08:41:56
2104 forum posts
189 photos
Neil R, I am very sorry I didn't see your request for a circuit board. I have a spare one and components I could sell to you if you didn't already get one.
Mike Blandford27/05/2016 10:35:11
521 forum posts
22 photos

There has been no sign of the module I tested coming on the market, and I have had not response from the manufacturer for many months, so I've given up on that.

Hovever, over on RcGroups there is a DIY project for a "MULTI" module that include DSM2/X, see: **LINK**.

What I've done is take the firmware from this and ported it to the Orange DSM module(s). This results in a DSM module that supports telemetry, and the communication to the module is high speed serial not PPM. You also get things like BIND and Range Check in the same way as with a XJT module.

The biggest problem is the processor on the Orange module is an Atmel XMEGA device that needs a specific programmer. I've managed to build a suitable programming function into ersky9x, but currently the Taranis hardware isn't suitable to carry out the operation, it does work on the 9XR-PRO, and the 9Xtreme and AR9X upgrade boards for the 9X. I am looking into what might be possible on the Taranis with some extra circuitry, and also looking at using a small Arduino for the operation.

The reflashed module is fully working on the Taranis using ersky9x firmware, including teleemtry. Multi protocol support is being added to openTx and I'm asking if the telemetry will also be added.

Forther details are here: **LINK**.

Mike.

N Pritchett27/05/2016 13:24:24
4 forum posts
Posted by WolstonFlyer on 27/05/2016 08:39:28:
I have the sam DX5e module and it works perfectly. Have you set the Internary RF module to off and enabled the external module slot and set it to DSMX ?

Yes, Internal off, External set to DSM2 - DSMX

Press Bind, = flashing + beeping

Receiver powered up with bind jumper

No sign of binding. The receiver does bind to my DX8 so the RX is good.

Just updated from 2.1.7 to 2.1.8 to see if changed things. Still no go!

Any other ideas?

Is there a way of checking that there is some RF output from the module?

There is a signal on the diode input to it and the 3.3v is Ok.

All suggestions gratefully received.

N Pritchett27/05/2016 13:38:35
4 forum posts

The only difference with my setup is that I 3D printed a carrying handle for the TX (replacing the metal one) and used the DX4 TX aerial embedded in it so the TX doesn't look like a porcupine!

This did mean drilling a hole for the aerial to pass through the module housing and another near one of the screw holes for the handle fixing. This allowed the aerial wire to go internally, up the handle and along inside the top horizontal portion for the business end (the handle is in two pieces with a front and back which screw together to allow the aerial to be fitted in it).

also added a small rectangular LED in the handle so it is visible from the front.

If anyone's interested, I can send them the handle design.

Chris Bott - Moderator27/05/2016 22:44:49
6650 forum posts
1381 photos
1 articles

N, it's worth a try trying to bind it with the Tx a metre or more away from the Rx. (This goes for any Spektrum Tx).

Chris Bott - Moderator27/05/2016 22:46:43
6650 forum posts
1381 photos
1 articles
Posted by Mike Blandford on 27/05/2016 10:35:11:

There has been no sign of the module I tested coming on the market, and I have had not response from the manufacturer for many months, so I've given up on that.

Hovever, over on RcGroups there is a DIY project for a "MULTI" module that include DSM2/X, see: **LINK**.

What I've done is take the firmware from this and ported it to the Orange DSM module(s). This results in a DSM module that supports telemetry, and the communication to the module is high speed serial not PPM. You also get things like BIND and Range Check in the same way as with a XJT module.

The biggest problem is the processor on the Orange module is an Atmel XMEGA device that needs a specific programmer. I've managed to build a suitable programming function into ersky9x, but currently the Taranis hardware isn't suitable to carry out the operation, it does work on the 9XR-PRO, and the 9Xtreme and AR9X upgrade boards for the 9X. I am looking into what might be possible on the Taranis with some extra circuitry, and also looking at using a small Arduino for the operation.

The reflashed module is fully working on the Taranis using ersky9x firmware, including teleemtry. Multi protocol support is being added to openTx and I'm asking if the telemetry will also be added.

Forther details are here: **LINK**.

Mike.

Wow that sounds like a lot of hard work Mike. What a shame about the manufacturer.

So, how many channels does the orangeTx module end up with?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Addlestone Models
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us