Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Spektrum module for Taranis

An electronic project

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Patterson 204/01/2018 20:53:41
2 forum posts

Sorry to resurrect this thread again. I've got a related question. I've harvested a module from a DX5e. I'd like to drive it with a micro-controller that generates 22ms PPM. I've proved the concept by playing the PPM signal into the buddy port on a DX6i so I'm confident the PPM generator is sound. I'll like to use a dedicated radio module rather than sticking my buddy switch down with tape each time I want to use the PPM generator.

My question is this: how do I put the module into bind mode? Is there a special PPM signal that will do it? Can I wire a circuit with a push button that will force bind mode? If so, could anyone suggest a circuit?

Much obliged.

Dave Patterson

Portished

Bristol

Chris Bott - Moderator05/01/2018 22:04:35
6642 forum posts
1374 photos
1 articles
Hi David and welcome to the forum.

I believe that the Spektrum RF module requires a proprietary data stream to drive it, not PPM. This would include the bind command when necessary.

OpenTx generates the correct data when a Spektrum module is selected.
Unfortunately I've no idea where you'd find details of the required signal, though.
Geoff Sleath05/01/2018 22:36:44
3272 forum posts
251 photos

I use an Orange plug-in module to fly small indoor models with my Taranis. It was quite inexpensive and I'm happy to use it with models like a Vapor but I'm not sure I'd trust outside with bigger models.

Unless you're trying to fit the DX5e to the Taranis as an interesting technical exercise I wouldn't bother and buy a ready to use commercial plug-in like the Orange.

Geoff

Chris Bott - Moderator05/01/2018 22:55:09
6642 forum posts
1374 photos
1 articles
The advantages of using the Spektrum RF module are outlined in the first post in this thread (from 2014!)

But the Orange module does at least accept PPM as it's input.
Mike Blandford05/01/2018 23:23:28
514 forum posts
22 photos

It uses serial data at 125000 baud, 1 start bit, 8 data bits, even parity and 2 stop bits.

You could have a read of this thread: **LINK**

and/or look at the code (open source) for either openTx or ersky9x to see the actual data format.

Mike.

flight106/01/2018 09:56:36
604 forum posts
33 photos

you whant one of the orange modules (JR compatable socket) like this , I have had the older version for a while with no problems this one is more versitile does any DSMX, DSM2 compatible or Walkera (DEVO)compatible receivers

David Patterson 206/01/2018 10:00:25
2 forum posts

Thanks Mike. That's really interesting. Not sure why I assumed the RX module was using PPM.

I'm using a micro-controller as a USB interface to my DSM radio so I can control the radio from my laptop. The micro-controller is just as capable with regular serial comms so it should be pretty easy to update it to use this protocol. That should reduce latency too which is always good.

This has all been prompted by the maaxx-europe.com UAV race that's running in March. I want to fly a racing quad, using the video feed for navigation. I've been able to fly the quad with an xbox remote and I can track the video feed with opencv to follow a line. Not sussed altitude hold yet but that's on the way. Latency is a huge factor in these things so swapping to a quick serial interface could be a big advantage.

Cheers

Dave P

Hulk Goguen18/07/2019 13:17:01
1 forum posts

Chris i really like how you made your own module. This is far beyond my abilities but i bought a brand new FR-Sky Taranis X9E at a garage sale for $25 and love the look and size of it. I have several Eflite planes with spektrum receivers and want to keep them so i can use the safe feature. I bought the JP 4in1 module but cannot seem to get it to bind to my planes. I followed many online videos and write ups. I have updated the firmware on the radio and on the module and still nothing. I contacted HobbyKing and they have shipped me out a new module. However are you interested in building me a module with the DM9 module?

Chris Bott - Moderator18/07/2019 21:15:39
6642 forum posts
1374 photos
1 articles

Hi Hulk and welcome to the forum.

Isn't the DM9 module the old official Spectrum one that if you could get one, would slot straight into your X9E? The downside would be that it's DSM2 only only.

I could help with building a module if it's still possible to get a suitable Dx4 as a donor. The important word there is "suitable". I'm not sure I'd know how to recognise the right one now Spectrum have released so many versions of their Transmitters.

One of these OrangeRX modules might be your best bet? I have no experience of them but someone else may have?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us