Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

ZENOAH

G20

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Colin Rothwell20/03/2007 20:10:00
3 forum posts
Am just begining to really enjoy flying a large WOt4ish plane with one of these engines (which is superb)Any ideas on how I might further silence the standard engine?
nasa_steve21/03/2007 18:03:00
457 forum posts
21 photos
4 articles
colin
an aftermarket pipe or silencer is one option. the other option is a carb bend this will move the carb through 90deg enabling you to draw the air for the engine from within the fuselage thus reducing induction noise. you would be surprised how much difference that would make.
regards
nasa
Neal Snooke23/03/2007 00:05:00
22 forum posts
2 photos
Yep they are great little engines - actually I was very surprised just how quiet mine is with the standard silencer - and intake trumpet just poking through the cowl. (I like the look of it and easy to choke with a single thumb:) At least it is quiet compared to my DA50 with pitts style "muffler"...
Enjoy it! Neal.
Colin Rothwell23/03/2007 20:54:00
3 forum posts
I did think about an aftermarket silencer but the ones I have heard are too noisy,don't know anything about pipes either.What I need is probable an add-on and I'm sure that somebody wrote somewhere about making one from a Maplin box.Our site is noise sensitive and petrol engines very rare there so I need to be extra careful.Thanks for your input.
Tony Jones30/03/2007 15:47:00
283 forum posts
I'm tempted to go petrol but have heard that single cylinder engine vibrate badly and give the onboard radio gear a hard time. Any comments anyone? Not trying to hijack the thread.
nasa_steve30/03/2007 20:49:00
457 forum posts
21 photos
4 articles
singles do have a tendancy to vibrate a little but in my own opinion no more that a comparatively sized 4 stroke.
with regards to radio interfereance no more so than high powered electric models. so a little extra care in aerial routing etc is all thats needed. BUT i would not consider using anything less than PCM receivers in petrol powered models due to the fact that anything petrol powered is likely to be of a reasonable size as well as PCM's having a much better rejection rate. just one point i could make here is not to use ferrite rings in a spark ignition system for some reason they seem to amplify radio problems. i'm sure someone could elaborate as to why this happens. hope this helps a little.
one thing i have noticed in running petrol is how much more reliable the system is compared to glow power
regards
nasa
Tony Jones31/03/2007 13:41:00
283 forum posts
Steve
Many thanks for those handy tips - I'd not heard of them before.
How about a feature on buying/installing/operating petrol engine in RCME
Best wishes
Tony
nasa_steve31/03/2007 16:20:00
457 forum posts
21 photos
4 articles
i'd have to talk to the ed, its normally something Brian Winch does. but this is my first petrol so it would be sensible to strike while the irons hot as such.
with regards to the ferrite ring i'm not sure who it was that told me but i had had one fitted on the throttle servo lead, seeing as it ran straight past the electronic ignition unit. my thoughts were if it was going to pick up any glitches it would be here. the ground tests showed me that i was picking up interfereance at tick-over in various forms and the ground range with aerial down was only 15 or so meters. this was when someone mentioned have you got any ferrite rings in the model, to which i answered yes. he said take it off and try another ground range check. i now had nearly 100m of down aerial range at all throttle settings wierd eh!!
regards
nasa
Colin Rothwell31/03/2007 20:22:00
3 forum posts
All very interesting stuff,Alex Whit. did a little bit about petrol 3/4 months ago in the special edition,he's not mentioned topic since so I guess he crashed or got frightened.I am using ppm single conversion no problems and vibration is no problem either.But what about my thread,what can I do to further quieten the standard silencer?(a 90 bend involves a completely new throttle cable and pipes and stuff seem noisy and expensive)I have decided it was Chris Williams who mentioned a maplin box,it was in a huge motor-glider with a large Zenoah.Does that stir a thought somewhere in someone?
nasa_steve01/04/2007 10:11:00
457 forum posts
21 photos
4 articles
hi colin
have a look at the zenoah website they do show some idea's for reducing noise and DIY silencing as does the LMA website but as i've said a lot of the noise is induction noise take that away and it WILL make a difference. there is not a lot more i can suggest its a case of suck-it and see you could try making a secondary silencer!?!?
regards
steve
Aero12016/06/2009 18:51:25
131 forum posts
Has any one got any tips for mixture adjustment on the ZG20? All the forums I've read seem to give conflicting advice.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!