By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

HobbyKing Payments

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Jones 704/02/2014 08:29:18
282 forum posts

Placing an order for some odds and ends this morning I kept getting an error message and told to checkout again.

long story short the order is now received but I have four receipts from Paypal all of which appear in my account as Payment complete. Has anyone had this before? I don't have four orders, I checked! So do I take it that HK basically won't request the money from my Paypal account? It doesn't look like I can cancel the payments on Paypal.

chris

Tony F04/02/2014 09:57:00
484 forum posts
105 photos
Chris that happened to me once , keep an eye on your account page on hk. The 4 will say check out beside them but one should say processing then paid then dispatched. Keep an eye on the others and they shouldn't update at all. If they do just phone paypal , they have a uk number.
Tony
Dave Miller04/02/2014 10:05:53
341 forum posts
27 photos

Yes it happened to me a week or so ago. I found that PayPal would no do anything as they felt that I should sort it out with H.K. To avoid repeating the saga please read this thread for guidance.

The answer is to ignore the error message after you have paid and wait for your emailed receipts to appear which may take 5 or 10 minutes from HK.

Edited By Dave Miller on 04/02/2014 10:07:16

Chris Jones 704/02/2014 10:41:11
282 forum posts

Thanks guys

Tomtom3927/07/2015 10:38:31
691 forum posts
1 photos

On Friday, I ordered an item from Hobby king . The price was stated in GBP£ however when I came to pay on Paypal the difference I ended up paying was approximately 5% more than the figure quoted by HK . I raised this with HK and this is the response I got "Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and sorry for the confusion. The conversion of the currency is based on the current exchange rate. The fee that you are billed for depends on the time we accepted the payment and the currency is based during that time." I can understand the odd 0.5 %- 1% . This however seems somewhat excessive (I paid on completion of the order). Has anyone else had a similar issue?

GONZO27/07/2015 11:04:56
1371 forum posts
14 photos

HK only trade in $'s. So select this currency when looking/ordering. The £ rates are only an indication and could be wildly out depending on when HK updated their exchange rate and what PayPal charge.

Edited By GONZO on 27/07/2015 11:05:15

Olly P27/07/2015 14:05:52
3215 forum posts
181 photos
Posted by GONZO on 27/07/2015 11:04:56:

HK only trade in $'s. So select this currency when looking/ordering. The £ rates are only an indication and could be wildly out depending on when HK updated their exchange rate and what PayPal charge.

Edited By GONZO on 27/07/2015 11:05:15

The key part being Paypal.

HK use the XE.com exchange rates, these are approximately market value rates - i.e. what business get. When we as individuals buy/sell currency the rate is adjusted by the currency changer and the difference is the profit. Paypal will bill your card in the foreign currency, and your bank will do the exchange at a set rate, set by them, and they will often add a fee as well.

I am off to Germany in October on holiday, and looking at the cheapest/best way to get Euros has been 'interesting' to say the least.

Olly

Tomtom3927/07/2015 15:46:03
691 forum posts
1 photos

Having checked with my bank , it would have been cheaper to have paid HK's fee for using my own banking system . I now know for the future.

John Privett28/07/2015 10:07:17
6045 forum posts
241 photos

My experience is that, using Paypal, if it's funded from my bank account then Paypal does the currency conversion at a fairly rubbish conversion rate. If it's funded from my credit card (still via Paypal) then the conversion rate is somewhat better.

As others have said, you're paying HK in US$ and if you've selected any other currency then the figures you see in that currency are only a vague indication. I don't know how often they update the conversion rates they use on the HK site, but at one time it was only about twice a year - and in that time the rate could (and often did) vary considerably.  (I think it's a lot more frequently now though.)

Edited By John Privett on 28/07/2015 10:08:15

Paul Harris 505/08/2015 10:03:08
62 forum posts

The only issue i have had (so far) with Hk is that the prices shown on their website are sometimes well out by the time you get to checkout.

Here is a good example

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__22575__H_King_FW190_w_Lights_Flaps_Retracts_Gear_Doors_1200mm_PNF_.html

Showing at £55.33 GBP but that is shipped from America with the postage at £75.42 GBP

But shipped from their UK Warehouse its £95.99 with the postage at £6.56

Be careful as their prices are not always what the seam to be at first glance

Another case of ripoff Britain at work I suspect wink

Paul

John Privett05/08/2015 19:24:30
6045 forum posts
241 photos

Paul - as has been said many times before, IGNORE the price in any currency apart from US$. Any number in another currency is just a guesstimate.

Following on from that, prices will, and DO, vary depending on which warehouse the item is being supplied from. HK's costs vary between the different warehouses around the world, and the prices they charge reflect this. Postage rates too (and the time taken to arrive) plus possible tax/duty liabilities will also vary depending on which warehouse the item is supplied from.

Now how, precisely, is this "ripoff Britain"?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!