Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Black Horse Stuka

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
MikeS03/11/2014 18:58:08
818 forum posts
240 photos

Its been a while but the Stuka had its maiden flight last Thursday. Finally got everything sorted out on it. Setting the ailerons level to the wing was interesting but got it done.

Fitted a 15x8 prop for this flight and needed to add six 70g strips of lead to the nose to get the CofG at 90mm. Flew great will little trimming needed. Happy days.

Mike

Delta Whiskey03/11/2014 19:35:13
1320 forum posts
90 photos

It did look good Mike - will send you a link to the short video I shot soon!

Terry Walters03/11/2014 20:15:11
1829 forum posts
1068 photos

Well done Mike - been wondering what had happened to the aeroplane that donated my bargain DX9, OS120 FS and quite a few servos blush!

Glad it all went well yes

Terry

MikeS05/11/2014 20:24:14
818 forum posts
240 photos

Thanks Doug, Terry. Looking forward to seeing the video of the first flight. Lol I was holding on to the tx sticks for dear life until Doug reminded me to trim it out.

Mike

Terry Walters05/11/2014 20:59:15
1829 forum posts
1068 photos

I shall look forward to it too! If I could've got it into a suitcase and brought it over here with me I might have beaten you to it!

Enjoy it Mike!

You still flying the Tutor?

Terry

MikeS07/11/2014 21:05:06
818 forum posts
240 photos

Alas no. The Tutor suffered damaged due to the nose wheel spat digging in and ripping out the firewall. It needs fixing but the Stuka is hogging my time right now.

Mike

Edited By MikeS on 07/11/2014 21:05:34

Terry Walters08/11/2014 09:33:37
1829 forum posts
1068 photos

Sorry about that Mike - I think I'm living on borrowed time with the nose leg but we'll see. I really like the way it flies.

Enjoy your Stuka!

Terry

Delta Whiskey08/11/2014 16:54:42
1320 forum posts
90 photos

Finally got round to uploading video !

Charles Lee08/11/2014 17:03:07
66 forum posts
9 photos

Hi Mike

Did you use flaps on landing?

Terry Walters09/11/2014 13:25:09
1829 forum posts
1068 photos

Mike that was very nice and must've been rewarding - seemed you had it well sorted out before the flight - well done!

Terry

MikeS09/11/2014 20:32:25
818 forum posts
240 photos

Charles no not on this flight. I did try them on the second flight but they caused the Stuka to dive so before the third flight added some up elevator mix. I need to dial it in on the next flight.

Thanks Terry I'm glad of the video as everything seemed to happen fast on the first flight. I think it is setup right but did slide its tail a little so need to check the aileron throws are equal.

Mike

Newbee phil11/11/2014 22:03:20
38 forum posts
Mike..... can I ask did this build tail heavy? Also is there any weight in the nose?? Me and a club member have sooooo much trouble with weight issues on our models ... my pitts has 500g in the nose and my mate has just built the new taylor craft and he needs a kg in the nose!
Terry Walters12/11/2014 08:00:12
1829 forum posts
1068 photos
Posted by MikeS on 03/11/2014 18:58:08:

.........needed to add six 70g strips of lead to the nose to get the CofG at 90mm. Flew great will little trimming needed. Happy days.

Mike

Hi Phil - this is what Mike said earlier.

Terry

Newbee phil12/11/2014 10:51:51
38 forum posts
Why are black horse models so tail heavy???? It's ridiculous ... I think I will be sticking with seagull or hangar 9 ...... these never need much weight ..... oh and thanks Terry. ....
Jon - Laser Engines12/11/2014 11:37:01
5512 forum posts
268 photos
Posted by Newbee phil on 12/11/2014 10:51:51:
Why are black horse models so tail heavy???? It's ridiculous ... I think I will be sticking with seagull or hangar 9 ...... these never need much weight ..... oh and thanks Terry. ....

Its a warbird, they always need lead in the nose. Its not a design flaw, just a fact as we do not have half ton V12 engines in the front like the full size did.

Also, the full size aircraft had areas for ballast be added. Hurricanes were usually tail heavy and had lead attached to the engine mounts. Spitfires have a long rod in the tail onto which lead disks can be added or removed as required.

The same is true of this Hawker Demon **LINK** where you can see the lead weights just below and behind the roundel on the fuselage.

Mike, the stuka looks great and was nicely controlled on the maiden. I was surprised to hear (from the video) that you suspect it to be tail heavy. Your comments about the flaps could indicate nose heavy. What makes you think more church is required in the nose? if its just the tail dropping the in the turns (as noted from the video) then it could just be that some rudder is required in the turn to keep the tail up. Again this is not uncommon with scale models and should be done by hand and not with a mix as the amount of rudder required will vary a lot with airspeed. The other thing was that the comment was made when you were in a right turn so engine torque will pull the nose up. Torque was apparent on takeoff as well so perhaps a little more right thrust would solve the issue. Of course, if you had full down trim to keep level then more weight it is!

Edited By Jon Harper on 12/11/2014 11:43:17

Charles Lee12/11/2014 15:24:39
66 forum posts
9 photos
Posted by Newbee phil on 12/11/2014 10:51:51:
Hi Phil Don't want to burst your bubble regarding Hangar 9 warbirds not needing nose weight. My H9 Thunder Bolt ( 60 ) size powered by electric needed two x 6 cell 4500 mah lipos up front + a 4800 mah sub c receiver pack mounted on the motor box. so that's an extra kilo in total. It flies spot on at this weight.

Newbee phil13/11/2014 18:23:18
38 forum posts
Hi Charles ... me and fellow club members have various planes .. my mate barry has hangar 9 christen eagle and he put the satio 125 in as recommended in the build and it came out perfect on the cg with no added weight. .. I've had a kyosho calmato alpha .. no weight needed. . I've a seagull decathlon .. no weight needed , my black horse pitts using a os120 (as shown in the manual) 700g needed and it still isn't nose heavy... my mate who is building the new black horse taylor craft , needs a kg in the nose! He has several seagull models a yak and 2 edge's and none have needed weight.... it just seems bizarre how some manufacturers get away with the added weight issue. ....
Jon - Laser Engines13/11/2014 19:59:13
5512 forum posts
268 photos

a lot comes from how scale the outline is. The pitts has a short nose and they have always been a swine to balance. The seagull Yaks have longer noses to get over this problem.

I fly mostly WWII models and have in the past added 3lbs of lead to get the c/g right. Its not a problem and that's just the way it is. I am not sure why anyone makes an issue out of it.

MikeS14/11/2014 21:50:10
818 forum posts
240 photos

Some interesting comments. Jon I set the CofG slightly nose heavy but found balancing it quite hard compared to other war birds so had concerns. My comment was unfounded as it was not pitch senative but rather sluggish on elevator.

I think the aileron throws might not be equal which I will recheck as I know this is one possible reason for the tail sliding in the turn. Later flights where I had got used to it were a lot better.

As for tail heavy being my first BH model I cant say. However my Stuka had its cockpit detailed by the original builder and might explain some of the 490g of st Mary's in the nose.

Mike

Jon - Laser Engines14/11/2014 22:09:17
5512 forum posts
268 photos

Hi Mike

If your elevator is that soft the you may indeed be nose heavy. The nose drop with flaps could also point to this. What is our elevator trim like at a cruising speed?? Be aware that most warbirds have huge changes in trim at high speed, again its not a design flaw or bad incidences, its just how they are.

With your ailerons check of equal movement and perhaps setup differential aileron (more up than down). Or, just fly with the rudder. it will not take long to get used to. Watching your video again I really think some more right thrust would help you out

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!