By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Washout Construction????

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ads27/03/2007 18:41:00
22 forum posts
Just started building from plans having enjoyed it as a kid. Current model is a Trixie 40" high wing vintage trainer.

The instructions I have are OK but assumes knowledge about the washout. I have never heard of this before and could do with a bit of advice. As I understand it I am supposed to build in some warp to assist with stability.

The plans detail a long slim wedge which it suggest should be put under the rear of the trailing edge at construction, with the thick point to the centre and the pointed end to the end of the wing.

Can anyone explain to an idiot what this is all about and any advice about how to do it would be appreciated.

Mike Bell27/03/2007 18:54:00
300 forum posts
218 photos
Ads,
Wash out means having the tip of the wing at a lower angle of attack than the centre of the wing, the idea being that the centre of the wing will always stall first hence avoiding the dreaded tip stall.
With wash out in the wing you could look at the wing end on and see that the trailing edge of the tip would look higher than at the root. This progression should be gradual from root to tip hence the tapered spacer while building.
I would carefully check the plan, though, because arranging the packing as you describe (thin to tip) you would actually give wash in which is definitely not good.
To build the wing just place the packing under the ribs as directed by the plan and build normally.
Ads27/03/2007 19:16:00
22 forum posts
Mike,

Thanks for that. Make sense now.

Best Regards
Allan Jordan27/03/2007 20:42:00
495 forum posts
Hi. Ads, For packing material I use the small wedges employed by kitchen fitters { they are used to align floor standing cupboards} I get mine from B&Q.Give them a try.Regards Allan J ..TTFN
Andy Gates09/04/2007 20:22:00
643 forum posts
20 photos
I agree with Mikes comments.

I suspect you have the wedge in the right place but the wrong way round.

Thin edge to the centre, thick edge to the tip with the wedge towards the trailing edge.

Normally on plans you will have a measurement at a particular point along the trailing edge. This point should be packed to the measurement and other packing fitted along other points on the TE.

Use the same set of wedges placed on the same points along second wing to make sure that both panels are set the same.

Of course all this needs to happen on a flat building board and the rest of the wing needs to be firmly held to it while the washout is set into the wing.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!