By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Setting up a remote webcam at the clubs fields

How can I use a iPhone as a remote intervalometer/web camera?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Bott - Moderator02/06/2018 20:47:25
6656 forum posts
1381 photos
1 articles
If you have time to experiment, have a look at manything.com

They have a single camera (or mobile phone) free account option. That's worth a look.

(Sorry it's so long since I used it that I don't remember the pros and cons any more)
ChrisB02/06/2018 22:40:36
1220 forum posts
34 photos

Hi folks. We've thought about getting some sort of remote access windspeed/direction meter via some sort of sim system.

Two things spring to mind:

Firstly our container is sheltered and away from the flying are, so the unit would need to be in an exposed flying site to give an accurate reading.

Secondly, there is some discussion internally about the use of mobile phones and their impact on radio systems. Albeit many hundreds if not thousands at an event like the Nationals and to my knowledge, not issues of interference despite lots of RF noise.

Have any clubs got a remote access system other than a camera?

CB

Bucksboy03/06/2018 04:58:37
559 forum posts
106 photos

We never went down the route of a remote access windspeed / weather station so cannot help regarding the above.

Our existing system takes a photo every 5 minutes during daylight hours and this is linked into the Club website. You can see if your mates are at the field before you decide to go or not. A piece of plastic blowing in the wind, deliberately in shot, gives a very rough indication of the wind speed.

In the 4 years we've had it the world has moved on. All the apps I've found last night are for beaming a live feed from one mobile phone to another using wi-fi. Be it for home security/baby monitoring etc. This is not what we want so the search continues.

Chris Bott - Moderator03/06/2018 09:50:05
6656 forum posts
1381 photos
1 articles
Here's a possibility.

http://www.camsecure.co.uk/WebcamHosting.html
Bucksboy03/06/2018 15:42:08
559 forum posts
106 photos

Chris,

Thank you very much, Camsecure seem to be exactly what we need. I see that Raydon Model Aircraft Club already use them. I've emailed both Camsecure and the Chairman of Raydon to see if I can gather further details, looks very promising though.

We only use a single photo every 5 minutes as it keeps the power needs of the phone down and allows us to use a cheap SIM card to send the photos from the mobile phone to the website. Our mobile phone looks through a tiny hole that the occasional vandal misses completely, we're keen to not have an external and obvious camera, it will become a target for sure. They found the solar panel fixed to the roof (it was invisible from the ground) and smashed that so an external camera would need to be made of cast iron.

Fingers crossed!

Glenn Philbrick04/06/2018 08:52:04
225 forum posts
59 photos

We have a Maplin weather system that gives us the weather conditions at our strip via a sym card that costs us about £1 month. We copied the system that appeared in the BMFA news some months ago. It is powered by batteries which are topped up using solar panels which also keeps the mower battery topped up and can allow limited charging for electric models.

Anthony Wright 218/08/2018 10:25:10
1 forum posts

Glenn

This may be a repeat, the first email disappeared. I have searched the BMFA website for this article to no avail. Can you tell me the issue date/number, send me a copy of the article (post will be refunded), or a link, please?

I would like to do the same for our flying field

Tony

Colin Hooper08/12/2018 16:53:25
46 forum posts
21 photos

Having previously warned that the webcam host "opensmartcam.com" were stopping the service at the end of 2018,

I went on the hunt for something similar and affordable.

I am pleased to report that our club's web hosting company "Gradient Hosting" rose to the challenge and have created a custom image hosting app to run on our own web site. The image that we show to the world is found on our chmfc.co.uk/webcam.php page. However, the archive images are available to the select few in the club that like to see what happened through the day.

If this is of interest to any other club that will be losing opensmartcam or would like to explore a similar set up then please get in touch and I will pm the contact email for the guy that created it.

Bucksboy10/12/2018 15:42:38
559 forum posts
106 photos

Colin,

I've sent you a PM. Thanks.

Martin Harris10/12/2018 16:37:54
8804 forum posts
215 photos
Posted by Colin Hooper on 08/12/2018 16:53:25:

I am pleased to report that our club's web hosting company "Gradient Hosting" rose to the challenge and have created a custom image hosting app to run on our own web site. The image that we show to the world is found on our chmfc.co.uk/webcam.php page. However, the archive images are available to the select few in the club that like to see what happened through the day.

Is this a standalone solution or would it involve moving website hosting to Gradient Hosting?

Colin Hooper10/12/2018 18:25:07
46 forum posts
21 photos

Martin Harris, the actual software required to run the image hosting needs to sit on a server within the gradient hosting domain, but you do not have to move your web site to them. It is a commercial offering to host the images (not expensive) and it suits us to keep everything on the same server platform.

In a way, it is no different from using a third party host such as opensmartcam offered.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us