Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

estes falcon

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
gliggsy03/03/2014 22:03:54
99 forum posts
4 photos

Hi guys. I'm looking for some ideas, I have recently converted the Estes Falcon, to the uninitiated, a foam, jet winged F16 type thing, about 14" wing span ,chuck glider, basically a kids toy. I have fitted a couple of servos for the elevons. And a small pusher motor, I managed to keep the original c of g and managed to keep the weight reasonable and although it still has a reasonable glide path as soon as I pull on the up stick it reacts like a lawn dart, drops the nose and crashes. 2 questions, anyone know if. It's possible to set up elevons on this type of wing configuration or has anyone come across the Estes rc conversion, a Google does show someone flying one on the tube but there is no information of how. Will try and post some piccies ASAP.....G

Striker198007/04/2014 12:56:59
2 forum posts

Hi gliggsy,

I successfully converted one of these last week by sticking 2x servos directly to an all moving tail plane to get enough pitch out of it, then mixed as elevons.

build was auw ~200g, 500mah lipo, 10a esc, 20g 2300kv brushless, 6x4e prop with prop saver (already saved prop) Orange rX. CoG at front of hand launch recess.

Pics below.

Are you elevons only on the main wing, I was concerned that wouldn't have enough pitch control, though I've seen pics of others doing it but no flight vids of it.

I spent an excessive amount of time trying to decode the youtube video, I took it that he'd got a similar power set up to me, but had ailerons only on the wing and a 2 cm depron elevator cut out and hinged to the tailplane elevator. Probably with a bent wire connecting the elevator halves. (I didn't like the sound of having to use wire to connect the two halves through the airframe so hence my all flying tail elevons).

Hope this helps!

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 07/04/2014 13:31:30

gliggsy09/05/2014 21:23:38
99 forum posts
4 photos

estes f16 012.jpgestes f16 010.jpgestes f16 009.jpgHi Stiker, sorry for not getting back sooner, didn't realise there had been a response to this post, anyway, progress so far, I had to fit a simple elevator and now it flies great, lots of ele' authority rolls well, plenty of power and floats in like a dream, getting 4.5 mins out of a 180Mah 3 cell, not sure what speedo and motor are in it but it is currently one of my fave fliers.....a few picsestes f16 007.jpg

Edited By gliggsy on 09/05/2014 21:26:38

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us