Forum sponsored by CML

Noooo!!! Ali Machinchy Is Leaving!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Matthew Leese11/03/2014 08:15:10
12 forum posts
1 photos

Nooo! Ali is leaving!

Im sure that many are aware that Ali MAchinchy has taken a job with Horizon Hobby and will be leaving the uk to live in the USA. I for one would like to congratulate him and wish him all the best in his new endeavour. His presence at the UK shows will be sorely missed. He always seems to "get" what the public want to see. He has certainly inspired me in my modelling hobby. He also is a true gentleman. Last year at Weston Park, he noticed that a large group of display pilots were standing up talking just the other side of the crowd barrier in front of where myself and my two small daughters were trying to watch the flying display. He came over and politely but firmly told the pilots to sit down or go the other side of the barrier! Also a few years ago at Rougham he took the time to show my 4 year old daughter around his A10 Thunderbolt. She was enthralled.

So who wants to join me in thanking Ali for his huge contribution to the UK modelling hobby scene?

The other major downside is, who's name will good old Dave Bishop of DB Sound now have to constantly mispronounce??!

Matt

Sean Tracey11/03/2014 08:38:51
40 forum posts

Couldn't agree I knew Ali for a brief period in the Ninties a true gent his Displays will be missed. Americas gain, U.K. Loss. Sean Tracey.

cymaz11/03/2014 08:56:49
9019 forum posts
1187 photos

Best of luck Ali

David P Williams11/03/2014 10:43:03
878 forum posts
292 photos

Agree too. One of my best memories is flying on a buddy box with Ali at one of the Jet Modellers Association Rookie Days - lovely bloke.

john stones 111/03/2014 13:11:04
11152 forum posts
1503 photos

superb flyer and entertainer

true gentleman, good luck Aliyes

Chris Jones 711/03/2014 13:16:09
282 forum posts

Ok, ok, so Ali will be sorely missed but.....

If you ask me nicely and he leaves all his models I'll fly them all for you! wink

Best of luck Ali, I look forward to seeing the first PNP turbine glider from HH!

Danny Fenton11/03/2014 14:13:54
9317 forum posts
4125 photos

I have photographed Ali flying on numerous ocassions and he has always been superb at presenting the model for the camera. He has often flown at shows and events when others have stayed on the ground a superb flyer of that there is no doubt. It will be sad to see him go, but I guess all we can do is wish him every success.

Cheers

Danny

Stevo11/03/2014 16:58:31
2699 forum posts
419 photos

One of my endearing memories is that he served my son and I in his store in North London... One Ripmax Trainer 40 and an Irvine 40. Treated me no different to an expert flyer or one with limitless pockets.

I've observed him at shows and he talks to anyone in the hobby.

Good luck, will be sorely missed.

Martin Harris11/03/2014 19:01:46
9160 forum posts
229 photos

I've only had the pleasure of chatting to Ali at any length on a couple of occasions but he comes over as a proper enthusiast as well as being the most entertaining and capable of show pilots. Memories of his 50% Cub display will long remain with me for its incredible grace and precision as well as the flashier and/or faster stuff.

What is just as impressive as his brilliant flying is his apparent lack of any over-ego - several times, he's gone on public forums to explain where things haven't gone to plan with absolute openness.

Let's hope he's allowed some time to display Horizon products at one or two of our larger shows!

Good luck Ali.

Engine Doctor12/03/2014 10:06:10
2408 forum posts
31 photos

Good luck to him in the USA . Lets face it the UK is broken . If I were his age I would probably do the same .Lets hope his Dad doesn't do the same or we will really be in trouble if the shops close ! All the best Ali for your new venture .

Al King 117/04/2014 17:08:20
3 forum posts

Damn alis leavin us!!!! Only one thing for it folks , we move to america

ali Machinchy20/04/2014 21:13:14
13 forum posts

Thankyou for the kind words guys. There are many, many things about the UK and the Uk modelling scene that I will miss immensely. I could write pages and pages about how good the Uk has been to me, and how many great friends I have met within the business. I won't bore you! However. One thing I would like to say.. No actually I feel compelled to say is to do with one of the aspects of the UK that I won't miss. Sorry to come on here and be on a downer… I have heard a number of rumours that surround the reason why I am moving myself and my family to the USA. I did expect the rumour mill to get going, but some of those that I have heard ( Dread to think about the ones I have not heard ) Are quite shocking! Most of these are based around my business ( Al's Hobbies)

So! Let me try and clear some of them up please.

I am not leaving die to the fact that I have been caught stealing from the till at the shop, and the only way I can avoid prosecution is by emigrating…….. I kid you not !

I am not breaking ties with the shop. There has been no fall out between the other directors and I. No bad blood or animosity.

I am quite amazed that there are people out there that actually sit there and make this stuff up. Really???? They have life's that are that messed up and twisted that this is how they occupy their time? Wow!

The two other directors are my parents. They were the first people I spoke to about the possibility of me moving. Before I even went to the USA for interviews, I wanted to make sure they were ok with what was being offered and I can say that they have been 110% supportive of my move. Sure! They are going to be saddened by being further away from their only son and grandkids, but they realise what a fantastic opportunity it will be. The first thing they said to me was that 1/3rd of Al's Hobbies will always be mine, so there will always be something to come back to.

The business is set to continue. One of the main reasons for excepting the offer of moving overseas is that the modelling market in the UK has changed so, so much in the past few years. We at Al's Hobbies are trying to adapt to survive these changes, and with me leaving it will reduce the financial overheads considerably. This and some other changes will hopefully ensure the companies existence in years to come.

Regards the stealing from the till BS! Really???? Why would I steal from my own Till? Do people really believe that my own parents would offer me the ultimatum of emigration to avoid prosecution? As I said. This aspect of the UK I won't miss!

Sorry again to bore you guys, but I do feel that this had to be said. Regards Al

Phil Winks20/04/2014 21:30:45
2674 forum posts
693 photos

Only met you once Ali at woodsprings but, and you'll no doubt being the modest guy you are blush at this, but you inspired me at a time when my model building and flying career needed it, add to that the fact that it was the staff in your north London shop that gave me the information I needed to get back into the hobby back in 2006, all I can do is wish you the very best in your new endeavour and hope that we in the UK get to see you from time to time on the show circuit. On the plus side I know at the very least the hobby will be a better place for your involvement at Horizon

Regards Phil

Martin Whybrow20/04/2014 22:32:20
884 forum posts
33 photos

Sorry to hear that your going Ali, but I think you're making a very positive move. You'll be missed from the events at Baldock - do try and drop in when you're visiting the UK smiley

Edited By Martin Whybrow on 20/04/2014 22:32:54

Bob Cotsford20/04/2014 23:08:27
8248 forum posts
454 photos

Ali, you have a fantastic opportunity offered you that most would gladly amputate their own limb for, of course there are going to be daft comments from the idiots, at a guess mostly driven by jealousy.

I don't know you other than as a 'face' at the shows presenting some amazing models in a most professional manner, but I wish you well in your new position.

Colin Leighfield21/04/2014 07:16:52
5982 forum posts
2501 photos

As another who has never met you, but been stunned by the models you fly and the unbelievable reality that you give them by the way that you do it, I will be very sorry to see you go. However, I don't blame you at all, an opportunity like that in the USA cannot be missed, it really is a "new horizon"!

What's more, you shouldn't have to defend yourself against against malicious words dripped from the mouths of jealous and inadequate people, sadly they tend to exist wherever you go and are only worthy of one reaction, ignore them. That is what they resent most of all.

Good luck Ali, you deserve the very best and the USA is lucky to be having you.

ken anderson.21/04/2014 08:22:36
8554 forum posts
776 photos

have fun Ali.......never met you -but those that have tell me you are a good lad....that'll do me..

ken anderson ne..1 ....... farewell dept.

jolliffee21/04/2014 08:56:18
123 forum posts
16 photos

Good luck to you and your family, I'm sure you will have a fantastic time in the USAthumbs up

Tony Read21/04/2014 09:12:21
404 forum posts
13 photos

Ali, you won't remember me, and why on earth should you, but despite being very busy at one of the Rougham shows you still had time to have a chat about your models. When I went home and told my wife she said 'WOW!' An accolade indeed!

Your flying inspires me to try and do better. You will be missed by a lot of people. Have a great life in the States and no doubt we will be reading about your exploits at the Top Gun events etc.

John F21/04/2014 09:20:33
1318 forum posts
51 photos

There are enough gossip mongerers worldwide that moving to the US may well spark another round of rumours, only American style. With weird spellings.

I have never really met you but I have bumped into you twice. You smell nice.

Good luck with the move, I hope it works out well for you.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CADMA
Sussex Model Centre
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us