Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Another Hobbyking tale.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
FWAL11/03/2014 23:03:48
314 forum posts
469 photos

With my birthday on the horizon I thought I'd treat myself to a foam parkflyer. I'm more of a slope soarer man myself but have been getting more and more satisfaction from flying my WW RF4 at a local playing grounds whilst my son plays Tennis. After a couple of weeks of research I decided that the HobbyKing P51 Epp profile fighter with 33" span would fit the bill nicely.

On 7th March I ordered the plane from the UK warehouse, including Lipo, Esc and 3 servo's and paid via Pay-pal. After which I was returned from the Pay-pal website back to Hobbyking's and a message appeared stating that due to a problem I would have to complete the check out again. Almost at the same time an email came through from Pay-pal confirming the payment had been made. I wasn't at all comfortable about re-ordering and perhaps making two payments so I left the site. I then received an email from Hobbyking confirming my order. Great I thought the problem had been rectified. On the 9th I logged back into my HobbyKing account and despite them receiving payment the goods were still unreserved (not going to be delivered in short). I contacted the HK support center on the 9th and 10th and today had a response: "Don't worry you sent the money to the wrong account; accounts@marketplace.hobbyking.com but should have sent the payment to; accounts@unitedhobbies.com and I should expect a full refund within the next 7 days" I don't remember being given a choice of which account I should make my payment to so I'm still a little confused. I'm also a bit upset that I wasn't given a choice of having the ordered goods delivered or a refund. Hopefully it wont be too long before I have my refund and feel a little visit to flyingdogs website is in order! Unless someone could recommend a fairly aerobatic, cheap <£50 EPP 800-1100mm plane?

Simon B12/03/2014 09:33:19
1936 forum posts
284 photos

Just to be on the safe side, i'd start a dispute within Paypal in their resolution centre.

LYKA12/03/2014 09:46:57
89 forum posts

I am amazed why people keep complaining about Hobby King .It is simple don't use them ,there are some really good online stores that give great service ,Slough Models , Horizion Hobby ,Kings Lynn Models, the list goes on all give brilliant service .Yes I know Hobbyking are a few pence cheaper but you get for what you pay for .I would rather pay a few pence more and be sure I will have no problems with my payment or orders then save a few pence and have all the agro you lot are getting

Andy Green12/03/2014 09:53:28
2279 forum posts
67 photos
2 articles

Read this last night on Facebook. HK asking a dispute be marked as resolved as they can't action an open dispute.

Andy

Edited By Andy Green on 12/03/2014 09:55:30

Simon B12/03/2014 10:41:38
1936 forum posts
284 photos

That is shoddy.

Kevin Wilson12/03/2014 11:00:17
393 forum posts
13 photos

I have read of the PayPal dispute thing on other forum posts.

Not good at all I wonder if anyone has raised that issue with PayPal?

Although the amount of money HK put through, they may be reluctant to comment.

On the other hand, with the amount of purchases made from HK, if they were that bad we wouldn't just see one or two posts a month about them.

Doesn't help the original poster though, and must be awfully annoying for him.

Edited By Kevin Wilson on 12/03/2014 11:02:47

Bandit12/03/2014 11:36:07
287 forum posts

How is it I can make an order every month with Hobbyking and never have an issue paying with Paypal?

Simon B12/03/2014 11:39:40
1936 forum posts
284 photos

Because, i'd imagine, it's in a minority of cases, but it doesn't stop it being annoying for those affected.

Tony F12/03/2014 11:51:14
484 forum posts
105 photos
We are not just talking a few pence though are we ? This hobby can and does get expensive. It's a shame I think that HK cannot get it's sales and after care spot on and yes it's annoying that this happens to customers. Its happened to me twice but I'll keep going back because HK make it an affordable hobby for me.
Just my few pence worth.

Tony
Bandit12/03/2014 11:53:31
287 forum posts

But it doesn't stop from sounding like someone is doing something wrong while ordering.

I've messed-up cancelled the order then re-ordered without issue, it happens, it's a busy place that Hobbyking.

At least you get a response and a resolution. Local shops will always pin the blame on you in my experience.

Anyhow ordering from Flyingdog is a good thing, I am a fan of theirs. A local supplier that genuinely does everything they can to give good service.

Malcolm Black11/04/2014 21:03:28
1 forum posts

Can not understand all the problems, have been ordering regularly over the past year every transaction as it should be. One warranty issue with a model with faulty servo, email reply within 24 hours, offering replacement servo with no paperwork required, replacement parts collected from Elmset 4 days later.. Value and service I say.

Paul Marsh11/04/2014 21:17:58
4028 forum posts
1217 photos
Posted by LYKA on 12/03/2014 09:46:57:

I am amazed why people keep complaining about Hobby King .It is simple don't use them ,there are some really good online stores that give great service ,Slough Models , Horizion Hobby ,Kings Lynn Models, the list goes on all give brilliant service .Yes I know Hobbyking are a few pence cheaper but you get for what you pay for .I would rather pay a few pence more and be sure I will have no problems with my payment or orders then save a few pence and have all the agro you lot are getting

yes

Monz11/04/2014 21:27:17
550 forum posts
31 photos

Strange, I save much more than a few pence, and have no hassles at all with HK, must be an attitude thing...

Daithi O Buitigh11/04/2014 21:36:37
1376 forum posts
54 photos

Sure there are glitches in orders and so on with HK - but considering they deal with over 5,000 orders per day, that's not surprising. Paypal also mess up (that's been known to happen when their server doesn't pass on the credit transfer, but HK cop the blame for that) - the cure is to contact CS via Live Chat, explain simply and politely and give them the Paypal reference and they fix it up there and then

What is surprising is the relatively small number of complaints (albeit very vociferous ones). Toss in the ones who expect their parcel to arrive on their doorstep in a matter of days or complain about 'not being able to track it' (usually inside 24 hours of placing the order)

I even recall someone complaining that he had to pay VAT on an iimport from Hong Kong

Andrew Price 211/04/2014 22:18:15
821 forum posts

Hi Daithi,

I'm trying to get my head round paying VAT on a order from Hong Kong. Surely companies outside the UK cannot be required to collect UK taxes.

I have bought direct from both Hong Kong and China and haven't paid VAT. How can they charge VAT? A company domiciled outside the UK can surely not register for an account with C&E (or whatever they call themselves nowadays). How can they pay collected VAT into a C&E account?

Help me, I'm all confused!!

Andy

Frank Skilbeck11/04/2014 22:23:22
4730 forum posts
101 photos
Posted by Andrew Price 2 on 11/04/2014 22:18:15:

Hi Daithi,

I'm trying to get my head round paying VAT on a order from Hong Kong. Surely companies outside the UK cannot be required to collect UK taxes.

I have bought direct from both Hong Kong and China and haven't paid VAT. How can they charge VAT? A company domiciled outside the UK can surely not register for an account with C&E (or whatever they call themselves nowadays). How can they pay collected VAT into a C&E account?

Help me, I'm all confused!!

Andy

HK don't pay the VAT but the importer (i.e. you) are liable for it, most times it slips through but if you may find that you not only have to pay the VAT but also pay an "admin" fee to the courier company as well, who will have to collect the fee to release the parcel. Some people have complained when they have had to pay the VAT on stuff ordered from HK, note also even if it's shipped from the UK warehouse technically you have still purchased in from HK, the UK warehouse is just a freight forwarding depot.

Pete B - Moderator11/04/2014 22:23:47
7655 forum posts
734 photos

It's simple, Andrew. If you import - and by buying directly from outside the EU you are the importer - there is a limit of £15 value on the order before you become liable to VAT and possibly Excise Duties. If HMRC intercept your parcel and decide to levy VAT on it, they'll get Parcelforce to do the admin - and you'll get your parcel once the VAT is paid and PF have taken a fairly unjust wadge as well...

Pete

Devcon111/04/2014 22:30:42
1412 forum posts
493 photos

I'm no tax expert but from personal experience I've had nothing but great service from HK, be it the UK branch or their Global warehouse

It's a bit selfish but on my limited budget I've financed a lot of modeling that would simply not be possible at UK sourced prices.

Regards

John

Daithi O Buitigh11/04/2014 22:51:29
1376 forum posts
54 photos

If you order from Hong Kong, there is no VAT on the purchase price - however, when it arrives then VAT becomes due (plus the rip-off handling charge by the Royal Snail). If it's ordered from either the UK or EU warehouses, VAT is already paid. If you make the mistake of ordering it 'express' - then Parcel Farce promptly more than double their 'fee' (but don't deliver it any faster)

btw - once the contents go over fifteen quid, then they hit you with the VAT on that PLUS VAT on the postage

Andrew Price 211/04/2014 23:11:45
821 forum posts

Hi Chaps,

Thank you all for your helpful posts and clarifications.

I don't know why I didn't remember this stuff as I have abandoned potential purchases from the USA because of those added costs. I've even worked on Parcel Force on agency and collected these monies before handing over goods!!

I'm guessing that the comparatively low value of the items I have ordered from the far east have failed to get either Customs or carriers excited.

Thank you again. Andy.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!