Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

FrSky GPS V2 Sensor

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
J V R18/03/2014 12:36:13
327 forum posts
62 photos

I'm using my Fun Cub as a test bed for the Taranis and had a couple of flights last week, I have now added 2 position flaps and the GPS V2 sensor and enabled the telemetry to give speed and altitude voice read out's. Dose the sensor have to be fixed in a set position or can it be mounted any way round......

Bob Cotsford18/03/2014 13:01:24
8583 forum posts
477 photos

I don't know about the FrSky one but the gps in the car doesn't care where it points, it works out it's orientation from the satellites it picks up.

Chris Bott - Moderator18/03/2014 15:32:50
6835 forum posts
1429 photos
1 articles

Any way round JVR as long as the label saying "UP" is facing er.. up!

Ooh, and in my experience it's best kept away from other electronics as much as possible. I had lot's of gaps in the GPS data until I moved mine away from other stuff. (Although this was the Mk1)

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 18/03/2014 15:35:34

J V R18/03/2014 16:08:54
327 forum posts
62 photos

Just had a look at the GPS V2 and there is no label saying this way up, its ether fallen off, or did not have one. Looking at the Frsky site they only show one view of the GPS V2 & there is no sticker or words saying mount this way ect.

David...04/05/2014 21:34:37
123 forum posts

There is a fairly obvious square about 2cm x 2cm, that's the GPS antenna and it needs to be pointing skyward.

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator04/05/2014 22:16:23
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Hi JVR,

here are a couple of photos of my sensor - clearly showing (I hope!) which side has the "up" sticker on,...

gps1.jpg

gps2.jpg

BEB

AJ20/06/2014 23:36:22
143 forum posts
12 photos

How long does your sensor take to lock?

I used mine a couple of weeks ago and it was taking up to 5 mins after power on to lock onto the sats and provide position info back to the tx.

Tonight I tried it again but even after 10 mins waiting it still hadn't locked.

Is this normal or is mine faulty?  It was outside all this time with a clear view of the sky.

A.

Edited By Andrew Eastland on 20/06/2014 23:37:58

J V R20/06/2014 23:46:13
327 forum posts
62 photos

Hi Andrew

last time I used the GPS sensor I left it for about 3 mins to give it time to lock on to the satellites, a friend told me they need to lock on to 3 to get a position.

David...21/06/2014 10:11:34
123 forum posts

Mine takes about 1-min consistently, between flights/battery change a few seconds. It does initially take a while to lock, especially if it has arrived from China (and unlikely but you never know) it has been tested there, because all GPS systems need to receive Almanac and Ephemeris data and take time to reacquire the ephemeris data.

And if the GPS has moved more than a few hundred miles or accurate time is lost, the Almanac data will be invalid for the current location and if it is far enough off, then none of the Satellites that the Almanac data thinks should be overhead will be there. In such cases, the GPS will have to search or be reinitialised so it can download a new Almanac and start over again.

I would leave it running a while so it can get a full set of Almanac data.

It needs a good clear view of the sky, so make sure there are no conductive materials or paint over the antenna that might prevent signal reception. Perhaps try it out in the clear air first to confirm reception. Make sure UP is up of course, level too ideally.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!