Forum sponsored by CML

Cutting Hinge slots HELP!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Stevo30/04/2007 08:20:00
2699 forum posts
419 photos
Hello to all.

The time-honoured method of cutting hinge slots seems quite archaic to me; we centre the line onthe spar/ control surface, and then dig it out using what looks like a tool employed by a badly trained dentist. Then hope the hinge fits! We would have more luck using a trenching tool.

Is there anything else we can do here or am I not alone? I see Great Planes make a "Slot Machine" but Ive spent 2Hrs on the WWW looking for one in the UK - and finding nothing!

Any help appreciated!
YakMad30/04/2007 08:57:00
518 forum posts
Steve,

The slot machine is not available this side of the pond as Great Planes only make a 110 volt version for the US. You could buy off Tower Hobbies in the US and buy a voltage step down here like I did, well worth the investment. I would never go back to the "Dentist" method.
Stevo30/04/2007 09:22:00
2699 forum posts
419 photos
Thanks Roy,
Pretty much as I thought! What a pity they are not available over here. I'll investigate Tower Hobbies, 240/110 step down transformer no problem!

Steve
Myron Beaumont01/05/2007 12:12:00
5797 forum posts
51 photos
For goodness sake cut the end off a junior hacksaw blade (preferably at an angle) & follow up a knife cut done by marking out & eyeballing. I cant understand whatever happened to modelling when you're brainwashed into buying a tool for absolutely every part of the building/construction of "your" creation.
Use your intuition ,get into the swing of enjoying the hobby as it started out & still continues in some quarters- or take up leggo . Balsaman.
Stevo01/05/2007 12:38:00
2699 forum posts
419 photos
Thanks for that. Ive been building guitars for a number of years now so my standards are set quite high - if there is a tool or jig to do the job for me and increase accuracy then I will use one to get the job done. I do enjoy the hobby very much particularly when my results are right on the money! I did however ponder on the hacksaw blade though!!
winchweight01/05/2007 16:29:00
2516 forum posts
67 photos
I just use an x-acto knife. Slot it in one way, then the turn it over and do it again.
Garry Hallam01/05/2007 19:17:00
63 forum posts
Hey Steve I've built a couple of Guitars also. I used to frequent luthierforum.com
Small world hey..

garry
Michael Dearden01/05/2007 20:47:00
136 forum posts
Just how big ARE these hinges for goodness sake? All the ones I've used over the years (40+) are about as thick as the average Stanley blade anyway so only require a knife cut and a gentle push in with a bit of glue!
Garry Hallam01/05/2007 21:22:00
63 forum posts
A stanley blade is my tool of choice too. I work out the width required, mark it out centrally to the blade and then place it in the vice at the lines and use a block of wood and a hammer to snap at the line. cover with a cloth to prevent injury from flying blades! I then work out the height it needs to be off the workboard surface (centre of the piece to be slotted minus half the blade thickness) make a wooden base and glue and clamp the blade making a sort of chisel that is simply pushed in whilst wriggling side to side.
Hold a piece of wood flat on top of the piece being slotted to stop it swelling too much. You could incidentally follow on with a similar but blunted tool afterwards for an even more accurate result. then after inserting the hinges sand the high spots level. Perfect everytime...
Stevo02/05/2007 07:43:00
2699 forum posts
419 photos
Hey!
Thanks to all for the tips, these hinges are very small to someone with stubby fingers; Like Garry I enjoy the building and my 11yo does the flying. .. see www.sjarman.co.uk.
Cheers, Steve
Myron Beaumont02/05/2007 11:58:00
5797 forum posts
51 photos
Steve
Myron here again .What a small world !I was a guitarist (not strummer) for 35 years until recently cos of health & also manufactured an acoustic based on a Martin & a Balaliaka based on model boat building .D'ont laugh! the back is made of 4 pieces (hard chine shape )Sorry guys for drifting off thread . Any way it seems as if most modellers have their own technique they've evolved for various types of hinges .I now use Mylar a lot (forget the hacksaw blade for these just a carefull cut will do before roughing up each end of this amazing "plastic" & dribbling in some Very thin cyano.Any dribbles I remove with Pacer 7-7 debonder.I actually use a very thin pointed knife to start the slot inthe middle of the intended position Eyeball it from both directions ,push it right in then use a bigger tool after when I have a guide to help me get the position perfect!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!