Helping Hand or Not !

Beware.....

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Delta Whiskey14/04/2014 16:47:21
1320 forum posts
90 photos

Just a word of warning........

Getting a model out of the shed yesterday for a Sunday morning flight, I noticed that when putting it in the car I had a slight tear in the covering, so I nipped back to the shed to get some tape to make do for the day when I noticed a burning smell.

Turned out my helping hand - the thingy with the crocodile clips for holding things while soldering etc had the sun shining directly thru it's magnifying glass causing the foam on my bench tops to smoulder away !

Lucky really as I had most of my models in there including my petrol 50cc's, helping hand now resides at the back of the shed well away from the window!

You have been warned ! blush

Edited By Delta Whiskey on 14/04/2014 16:48:51

Essjay14/04/2014 17:07:27
578 forum posts
1 photos

Really lucky there DW. What I did with mine is use one of these small jewellery bags to cover the magnifier. It not only stops the problem you had, but also protects the magnifier, and stops it getting scratched when not in use.

**LINK**

Delta Whiskey14/04/2014 17:10:22
1320 forum posts
90 photos

Thanks. Good Idea there !

Luke Lane14/04/2014 18:06:52
68 forum posts
2 photos

Also be aware that bottles and jars can also focus the light from the sun, the same as it would with a magnifying glass. It happened to my next door neighbor a few years ago. The cause of the fire was a perfume bottle focusing the sunlight onto the bed. Despite the fire brigade arriving on scene in 5 minutes the house was wrecked, but thankfully nobody was hurt.

MikeS15/04/2014 09:49:06
818 forum posts
240 photos
Close call Doug, Could see a club whip round happening. Lesson learned I'd say.

Mike
John F15/04/2014 11:41:20
1316 forum posts
51 photos

Glad to hear it wasn't a disastrous ending.

Good point though, I do actually have mine near the window in the garage. I'm quite nervous now, I don't want the motorbike to be the focus of attention!

Might have to nip off early from work and move it!

Delta Whiskey15/04/2014 22:07:16
1320 forum posts
90 photos

Thanks all - if I did not have the tear in my wing I could have been model less !

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!