Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

What's flying over your house

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Pearce 430/04/2014 15:19:03
312 forum posts
37 photos

Wherever I have lived in recent years I have been lucky to have lots of local aviation buzzing around, from Lightnings in Saudi, Herky Birds and Hunters overflying Cirencester and now lots of General Aviation in Churchdown. In fact as I sit in my study I can see anything from Stearmans, Piper Cubs, Stampes and plenty of small private stuff lining up on my window before they clear the chimney by about 50 feet. Smashing!

So what flies around your place and has anyone else been clever enough to persuade their wife that a house that’s in line with a runway is the one to buy? (Well it’s only a small runway!)

Cheers
David

(I started a similar blog on a plastic modelling web site in 2010 and it's still running with 1700 replies so far)

Capt Kremen30/04/2014 15:26:28
310 forum posts
83 photos

If you download one of the apps to your phone, tablet, PC e.g. 'Plane Finder', 'Flight Radar Pro' ... other brands are available as they say .... you can sit anywhere (with an internet link) and just look up at the vapour trails and see what planes are over your head and where they are going to/from etc.

David Pearce 430/04/2014 15:27:58
312 forum posts
37 photos
Posted by Capt Kremen on 30/04/2014 15:26:28:

If you download one of the apps to your phone, tablet, PC e.g. 'Plane Finder', 'Flight Radar Pro' ... other brands are available as they say .... you can sit anywhere (with an internet link) and just look up at the vapour trails and see what planes are over your head and where they are going to/from etc.

Yes, got one of those but what about the small stuff you can see without binoculars? Tell everyone what's buzzing around your place.

Edited By David Pearce 4 on 30/04/2014 15:30:04

john melia 130/04/2014 15:31:34
1770 forum posts
24 photos

A plastic asda carrier bag at the moment angel

David Pearce 430/04/2014 15:44:45
312 forum posts
37 photos
Posted by john melia 1 on 30/04/2014 15:31:34:

A plastic asda carrier bag at the moment angel

Is that classed as a "civil carrier" then?

John F30/04/2014 15:49:13
1318 forum posts
51 photos

I live under the circuit for Cranfield airfield so see lots or different light aircraft, including some posh canard light sports types.

Not bad viweing on a lovely sunday afternoon.

Steve Goodwin30/04/2014 16:11:12
160 forum posts
15 photos

Apache are the norm, but the occasional Air Sea Rescue, in the spring and summer we may see the BBMF ahhhh.... Now that's what I call music ! ! And occasionally the Red Arrows

David Pearce 430/04/2014 17:00:03
312 forum posts
37 photos

Well I'd better join in what I started. Today the wind is in the right direction and a lovely Stearman in classic blue and yellow took off over my house. Great site in the sunshine. Must get an RC version one day.

Bill_B30/04/2014 17:06:06
1145 forum posts
11 photos

I'm lucky to have nearly all the large civil stuff flying over to the USA and Canada from London and Western Europe so the menu is varied. During the summer months I always see the Red Arrows flying over (low!) on their way to one show or another. The strangest sight I've seen was a small con trail with what looked like smoke rings spaced evenly along its length that passed between two large cloud masses. The craft that was making it sounded like it was ripping every air molecule apart as it passed over. Trouble was it was so high that no shape could be identified and was only in sight for about 10 seconds. One of Uncle Sam's secret projects maybe?

Glenn Stratton30/04/2014 17:23:13
284 forum posts
15 photos

I live not far from Old Warden, Duxford is about 1/2hr drive away so see quite a variety of aircraft going back and forth, Cambridge Gliding Club is fairly close too, seeing about 15+ gliders in one thermal during a competition is something behold! Little Gransden is close by also, lots of Yaks there! See the Blades aerobatic team flying back and forth from Sywell. Military aircraft range from occasional Tuccano, Hercules, Apache, Puma, Chinook.

I used to live on the Somerset Levels, RNS Yeovilton about an hour away so had a lot of navy aircraft, Lynx, Seaking, Merlin, Hawks and Harriers. RAF Hercules, Tornadoes and Tuccanos. Various types of American military aircraft. Now all of these aircraft flew over at about 500ft or very occasionally treetop height! Sometimes you would see an aircraft approach then climb up sharply, our house had just been "bombed"! One day a Hercules at 500ft turned on his wing tip over the house, made the hair on the back of my neck stand up!

Tony Bennett30/04/2014 17:38:52
5080 forum posts
129 photos

lets see.

mostly helicopters and private jets.

though when the farnborough air show is on, he he he.

ben goodfellow 130/04/2014 17:50:34
1069 forum posts
41 photos

seaking from raf boulmer,is regular 20 foot above my house and lands next to my house quite alot too.

Pete B - Moderator30/04/2014 17:56:58
7596 forum posts
732 photos
Posted by Bill_B on 30/04/2014 17:06:06:

The strangest sight I've seen was a small con trail with what looked like smoke rings spaced evenly along its length that passed between two large cloud masses. The craft that was making it sounded like it was ripping every air molecule apart as it passed over. Trouble was it was so high that no shape could be identified and was only in sight for about 10 seconds. One of Uncle Sam's secret projects maybe?

That sounds like the fabled Aurora ramjet project, Bill..... You're in trouble now... No Men in Black outside your house, are there?....smile o

My plane-spotting consists mainly of Mirage F1's and 2000's; Alphajets; the occasional Rafale and Transall - even the occasional A400M out of Toulouse. Until the end of last year, A4 Skyhawks of the Royal Singapore Air Force out of Bordeaux were frequently seen. I do miss 'em.....sad

Last year had a pleasant surprise when a Hunter flew over at treetop height, en route back to Orange. A private company use them as target training for the navy.

Other than that, there's a bit of GA, including a Robinson which fortunately never overflies the house....smile

Pete

Codename-John30/04/2014 18:17:42
1087 forum posts
18 photos

We get the police helicopter around here quite often

Peter Miller30/04/2014 18:19:28
10330 forum posts
1231 photos
10 articles

Apaches on a regular basis. The occasional Chinook. Even had an Osprey in the distance a while ago and I think one was making a row the other night.

Then there is a Pitts Special but he is a club member anyway. Sometimes we see a Luciole.

Light aircraft also seem to use our patch as a turning point as it is very distinctive.

MikeS30/04/2014 18:44:40
818 forum posts
240 photos

Apaches, Merlins, Chinooks, Eurocopter, Dolphins you get the theme here.

Mike

Tony F30/04/2014 18:47:06
484 forum posts
105 photos
Heavy metal for me. Live by Heathrow. All boeings and airbuses. Nothing exotic like my youth sadly. I miss tristars tridents B707 viscounts vanguards caravelles concorde fokkers....... ahhh the good old days !!

Tony
David Pearce 430/04/2014 19:05:41
312 forum posts
37 photos
Posted by Glenn Stratton on 30/04/2014 17:23:13:

I live not far from Old Warden, Duxford is about 1/2hr drive away so see quite a variety of aircraft going back and forth, Cambridge Gliding Club is fairly close too, seeing about 15+ gliders in one thermal during a competition is something behold! Little Gransden is close by also, lots of Yaks there! See the Blades aerobatic team flying back and forth from Sywell. Military aircraft range from occasional Tuccano, Hercules, Apache, Puma, Chinook.

I used to live on the Somerset Levels, RNS Yeovilton about an hour away so had a lot of navy aircraft, Lynx, Seaking, Merlin, Hawks and Harriers. RAF Hercules, Tornadoes and Tuccanos. Various types of American military aircraft. Now all of these aircraft flew over at about 500ft or very occasionally treetop height! Sometimes you would see an aircraft approach then climb up sharply, our house had just been "bombed"! One day a Hercules at 500ft turned on his wing tip over the house, made the hair on the back of my neck stand up!

Old Warden, Duxford! So far you are my top candidate for a house swap!

John Privett30/04/2014 22:05:58
5988 forum posts
239 photos
Posted by Codename-John on 30/04/2014 18:17:42:

We get the police helicopter around here quite often

I thought we'd warned you about your dodgy deals... wink 2

I've got Heathrow around 15 miles to my NW and Gatwick a similar distance to my South, so it's mainly Boeings and Airbuses like Tony mentioned. In the old days Concordes were a common sight.

Quite a few A380s these days - there are usually about 3 of them departing LHR around 10pm-ish for various places in middle/far-east. I have my own ADS-B radio (cost less than a tenner!) plugged into a spare PC which feeds flightradar24.com - not that I guess they really need any additional coverage in this area! But it does mean I get flightradar24 premium at no charge... And I can also view the output from my reciever a few seconds ahead of flightradar24. I've just "seen" a BA 777 fly almost overhead at 9000 feet.

We also get a fair bit of helicopter traffic - we're close to one of the heli routes from Redhill into London, and as well as the civil stuff we also get the occasional Chinnook (usually in pairs) and even the odd Apache.

There's quite a lot of GA traffic too - especially over on Epsom Downs when I'm flying. Cessna 150s from Redhill are very common, but a few more exotic aircraft appear too - Yaks, CAPs, Extras etc. In the airshow season we occasionally get warbirds flying over - mostly Spitfires and Hurricanes.

Oh, and we too get the police heli occasionally. they haven't caught me yet though... smile d

Codename-John30/04/2014 22:12:36
1087 forum posts
18 photos

Lol,

This big ugly thing is a regular occurrence too, taking the wings from Airbus in Hawarden over to somewhere in France I believe, Flies so low you could almost throw stones at it

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us