Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

What's flying over your house

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ernie01/05/2014 17:54:15
2511 forum posts
20 photos

Well, Someone is practicing aerobatics. I can hear the engine note changing all the time, just like I try to do.

ernie

Jez Harris 101/05/2014 18:06:58
563 forum posts
1380 photos

Buzzards...

Which reminds me - I really should get onto burying that body...

Jez

David Pearce 402/05/2014 18:38:33
312 forum posts
37 photos

When your daily menu is Pipers, Cessnas and similar it's a bit of a thrill when an RAF C130 flies over your roof for a practice tactical landing at Staverton. If he'd been any lower he would have taken the chimney off. Fabulous!

Martin Harris02/05/2014 19:37:25
8799 forum posts
215 photos

I used to live on the Hatfield edge of St. Albans and was regularly treated to low level flypasts by the BAe owned Mosquito as well as 146s being test flown and demonstrated. A Buccaneer at low level was a memorable experience one afternoon. Just down the road one lunchtime, I saw two Mustangs in close formation doing repeated passes and drove to the edge of the airfield where I was transported in time to the Second World War - they were filming the final action scene of Saving Private Ryan and it looked utterly realistic from my viewpoint!

I now live close to and abeam of Luton Airport's runway and see plenty of commercial traffic - we get a lot of those things with rotating wings overhead but not much fixed wing - one memorable exception was a Twin Pioneer which took most of the afternoon to go past!

Another was when a most unusual (and hugely impressive) sound pulled me out of my modelling shed - and 17 (if I counted right) Tucanos flew over at very low level in close formation - they were the bulk of the Diamond Jubilee formation who had done a pre-arranged flypast at the airport while returning to their bases from their duties at Windsor Castle.

And not exactly fixed wing, but we get regular visits from Red Kites - a privilege and a visual treat.

Pete B - Moderator02/05/2014 20:26:36
7582 forum posts
732 photos

Not over my house but I was on the seafront at Ilfracombe today when a Hunter T2 flew along the coast, west to east. A bit of research shows it likely to have been WT722 from the Classic Air Force collection in Newquay. The only thing was, it looked distinctly pale sky blue rather than the grey of pics I've found. Was it just me?

Pete

David Pearce 404/05/2014 15:32:41
312 forum posts
37 photos

Our local Tiger Airways Stampe has been around today. There's something special about a silver biplane against a blue sky. When you haven't time to go flying yourself it helps to be able look up and see a nice old biplane flying around.

Colin Leighfield04/05/2014 16:17:03
5952 forum posts
2492 photos

When I was a kid North of Birmingham in the early fifties you'd see military stuff in the sky all of the time. Meteors and Vampires, even an occasional Spitfire, often flying quite low. Bigger stuff too as well as well as the commercial traffic in and out of Birmingham, (Elmdon Airport to us) most of which I remember as BEA DC3s, which we thought of as Dakotas but they called "Pionairs".

A lot of Tiger Moths as well, the flying club used to fly them off the grass at Elmdon and we'd regularly see them over the house in Great Barr. Sometimes dad would take us to the airport and we'd watch them coming in and out over the hedge. Also Dragon Rapides, dad paid for us (him, mom, baby brother and me at 4 years old in 1950), to go for a flight in one of those and I've never forgotten that, looking down at tiny gas towers and little cars. I've been enthusiastic ever since and need to get another flight in a Dragon Rapide before I'm too far past it.

Vampires flew out of Honiley, long since gone and dad would do his Parachute Regiment training there, or at Castle Bromwich. As well as kite baloons, they used RAF Hastings or Dakotas and sometimes jumped with the USAF from Fairchild Packets, "Flying Boxcars", I remember them well and saw them on the ground as well at Castle Bromwich. RAF Lichfield was still active and you'd see Wellington trainers, Valettas and Varsitys from time to time.

By comparison, today is pretty boring. Military sightings are a rarity and it's mostly the usual commercial stuff in and out of Birmingham, plus The Air Ambulance helicopter in and out of Good Hope Hospital. Times then were far more exciting and I think those experiences were a main reason for so many of my generation became so hooked on aeroplanes, which continues with our modelling exploits to this very day. The most exciting thing within the last 10 years was hearing a loud and very familiar noise overhead while in my shed, rushing out and seeing Vulcan XH558 going straight over the house at no more than 1,000ft. and clearly headed for Birmingham Airport! I don't know what the event was, but it was quite a thrill.

Sorry for reminiscing, it gets worse as you get older.

Glenn Stratton04/05/2014 17:41:33
284 forum posts
15 photos

This morning there was a pair of Spitfires both with one wing painted black, flying abreast with Vans aircraft between them, good omen for the rest of the day! Then to see a Red Kite soar at the same height and time as the models, along the pit line of the rc section at Old Warden Show was also amazing. Great day!

David...04/05/2014 22:42:21
123 forum posts

I find this fascinating:

**LINK**

Glenn Stratton04/05/2014 22:46:50
284 forum posts
15 photos

My thoughts was air to air photographic sortie too! Did they fly near Old Warden at all?

Pretty sure both Spits, flew over the top of house by the time I got out the front they were flying into the sun!

Edited By Glenn Stratton on 04/05/2014 22:58:25

Edited By Glenn Stratton on 04/05/2014 22:59:46

John Privett05/05/2014 00:26:34
5959 forum posts
236 photos

Whilst flying this afternoon we had a Spitfire fly almost directly overhead - heading roughly east to west over Epsom Downs. That must have been around 3pm. It returned about an hour later.

David P Williams14/05/2014 18:04:01
840 forum posts
282 photos

Just had a V-22 Osprey fly over the house (South Shropshire) heading east at about 500ft. Never seen one in the air before - wierd looking thing.

Tony Bennett14/05/2014 18:08:31
5075 forum posts
129 photos

whilst on holiday last week, i spent many happy hours watching these fly over the villa and round the bay.

Colin Leighfield14/05/2014 18:27:05
5952 forum posts
2492 photos

Canadair CL215? I've seen these in Spain, great plane.

John Privett14/05/2014 18:37:43
5959 forum posts
236 photos
Posted by David P Williams on 14/05/2014 18:04:01:

Just had a V-22 Osprey fly over the house (South Shropshire) heading east at about 500ft. Never seen one in the air before - wierd looking thing.

Wow - that is unusual. And I'll confess, I had to 'google' it to see what it was you were talking about!

J D 814/05/2014 19:23:48
1255 forum posts
74 photos

Some years ago there was this strange but sort of familiar thumping coming from the direction of the sea,then 4 Bell HU-1 huey's came into view,one smoking badly. It was the sound of Nam like on the news reports or my childhood. They were former Irish rescue service which had been replaced with Sikorsky 115's. After the closure of RAF Brawdy at the end of the cold war it has gone rather quite here on the west wales coast,except for the airline traffic high above on the Atlantic route.

Kevin Wilson14/05/2014 19:54:38
383 forum posts
13 photos
Posted by John Privett on 05/05/2014 00:26:34:

Whilst flying this afternoon we had a Spitfire fly almost directly overhead - heading roughly east to west over Epsom Downs. That must have been around 3pm. It returned about an hour later.

That went over me about 5 mins earlier (Caterham).

Didn't see it on the way back though

I am just off the southern end of the runway of RAF Kenley so see a few memorial flybys.

And of course the gliders torment me every time I stuck digging the garden

Tantalisingly whistling over on finals

Edited By Kevin Wilson on 14/05/2014 19:57:29

Paul Marsh14/05/2014 21:35:23
3705 forum posts
1053 photos

A Cheshire Police Heli, loitering. Must be looking for someone. Been loistering for 10 mins at about 400 ft, sounds even more noisy at dusk!

Edited By Paul Marsh on 14/05/2014 21:35:47

john stones 114/05/2014 21:40:10
10586 forum posts
1480 photos

You should make one of those Tonywink

John

John Privett14/05/2014 22:25:43
5959 forum posts
236 photos
Posted by Kevin Wilson on 14/05/2014 19:54:38:
Posted by John Privett on 05/05/2014 00:26:34:

That went over me about 5 mins earlier (Caterham).

Didn't see it on the way back though

The return track looked to be more or less the reciprocal heading, but perhaps half a mile or so to the south.  Our guess is that it may have been flying from, then back to, Biggin Hill.

Edited By John Privett on 14/05/2014 22:27:24

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us