Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

What's flying over your house

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martin Whybrow28/08/2017 01:54:35
884 forum posts
33 photos

Sally B was flying today (Sunday), she did her routine at Little Gransden show (Cambs)

funflyerColin28/08/2017 19:51:28
89 forum posts
87 photos

Not over my house but my bro spotted and photographed this over his in Downham Market last Sunday, and apparently saw it again today buzzing overhead at a motorcycle show near him.

It's not what you may think.img_8557.jpgspit 1.jpgspit 2.jpgspit 3.jpg

Mark Stringer29/08/2017 12:36:37
322 forum posts
209 photos

Not over my house but over my Caravan while staying at Cirencester Park .. this was Sunday afternoon (28th) and i have never seen anything like it.

Looked to be a good thermal which i think was from the lake ... first there were four powered parachutes circling tightly ... they moved off North to another nearby thermal and i heard the familiar whistle of a full size glider ... as i watched others joined the thermal from the South ... some then moved off overhead going West.

This went on for at least an hour with a peak number in the cloud at any one time of 11 or 12 ... my nerves were on edge wondering how they were missing each other and waiting for a crunch!

They were really quite fast and holding it tight in the thermal .. i have added quite a few pics to an album on here of this and have a video too although focusing on white gliders in a clear blue sky was hard work.

Gliders 1

Colin Carpenter29/08/2017 13:32:59
577 forum posts
35 photos

I think that Spit is a Mk 26 ? The home built ? Seen two or three of them now with one giving a very good impression down in Cornwall at the old fighter field at Perranporth . Colin

chris larkins29/08/2017 15:53:07
208 forum posts
144 photos

Not over my house, but I was shopping in Erfurt (Germany) last month and this flew over whilst I was walking down the high street. It's a JU-52, I quickly got my phone out and managed to snap it just before it disappeared out of view.

20170710_151437.jpg

20170829_154245.jpg

John A H15/09/2017 18:31:08
126 forum posts
154 photos

Spitfire and Lancaster just flew over the Littleborough area north of Rochdale. Lancaster was impressively low considering the surrounding hills, powerlines and windfarms. No sign of a hurricane.

Dave Bran15/09/2017 18:43:03
1898 forum posts
5 photos

Hurricane up from Biggin Hill this morning. Made a nice change from the inevitable boring two seat Spitfire.

Erfolg15/09/2017 19:49:13
11446 forum posts
1227 photos

Two aircraft in neon.

I assume associated with the Southport Airshow, which I think is tomorrow.

Does not really matter, they looked amazing.

John Privett15/09/2017 21:03:59
5988 forum posts
239 photos
Posted by Dave Bran on 15/09/2017 18:43:03:

Hurricane up from Biggin Hill this morning. Made a nice change from the inevitable boring two seat Spitfire.

Not sure if it was two weeks ago or three, nor whether it was the Saturday or Sunday, but a Hurricane flew over the Downs when I was up there flying.

Anthony Scott 215/09/2017 21:50:08
79 forum posts
12 photos

The Hurricane & the Spitfire over flew Bloobirds flying site at Dover at lowish level today. I was unable to fully appreciate the sight as I was flying. I was looking north west when I heard the mighty Merlins approaching from the south, I made a rapid descent to v low level! I do wonder if my 1.8m orange Yak was seen by them.

Peter Miller16/09/2017 08:36:57
10331 forum posts
1231 photos
10 articles

Well at least it would seem that they have sorted the fault with the Merlins.

Dave Bran16/09/2017 09:11:47
1898 forum posts
5 photos

There is no automatic link here between sightings and BBMF, and (bluntly!) posting THE Spitfire and THE Hurricane is just potentially offering confusion unless certain they WERE BBMF planes, which was not established.

There are a number of Spitfires and a Hurricane and a ME109E (with the "right" engine, not a Buchon!) currently stabled at Biggin Hill Hangar. They are flight worthy and have no connection to the BBMF planes. I saw at least one of each take off so might suggest it was more likely that it was them you saw.

Peter Miller16/09/2017 09:15:46
10331 forum posts
1231 photos
10 articles
Posted by Dave Bran on 16/09/2017 09:11:47:

There is no automatic link here between sightings and BBMF, and (bluntly!) posting THE Spitfire and THE Hurricane is just potentially offering confusion unless certain they WERE BBMF planes, which was not established.

There are a number of Spitfires and a Hurricane and a ME109E (with the "right" engine, not a Buchon!) currently stabled at Biggin Hill Hangar. They are flight worthy and have no connection to the BBMF planes. I saw at least one of each take off so might suggest it was more likely that it was them you saw.

Funny. I thought that the only Lancaster was in the BBMF

Martin Whybrow18/09/2017 18:49:40
884 forum posts
33 photos

Not so much from my house, although it would have been very close, but was out gliding today from Cambridge Gliding Club (1st time I've tried gliding), I spotted a fighter aircraft ahead which then turned and passed directly over us a few hundred feet above us, we got a very close up view of a Sea Fury, fantastic!

ChrisB18/09/2017 19:51:54
1220 forum posts
34 photos

Yesterday over our flying field in Leicestershire between 16:00 and 18:00 were Sally B, a Spitfire, Hurricane, P51, Buchon and The Blades. They were heading South East, presumably coming from Southport bound for Sywell and Duxford.

Kim Taylor18/09/2017 20:12:53
289 forum posts
53 photos

A bit late to the party, but last Friday morning I was in Dartmouth when two Spitfires in close formation flew down the river then broke left and over towards Paington.smile d

Then later around lunchtime we got a repeat performance!!thumbs up

Later in the day a singleton was blatting about in the same general area.

I can only imagine something was being filmed . Anyone live in the area and can shed more light?

Kim

Nigel Grant 105/10/2017 09:21:32
57 forum posts
9 photos

US Airforce Galaxy cruised low over the house on its approach to Christchurch Airport, New Zealand this afternoon, signalling that Operation Deepfreeze is starting up for the summer season down at McMurdo sound.

KiwiKid05/10/2017 10:50:04
476 forum posts
470 photos

Greetings from up the road Nigelcheeky

Those Galaxies are a pretty impressive sight and an amazing piece of hardware.

galaxy.jpg

Erfolg05/10/2017 13:14:55
11446 forum posts
1227 photos

As we all know this is one of the ways that the USA hides its own governmental support, in both the tendering and development programmes for such aircraft.

Yesterday my better half and myself were making our way along the green on the Fylde, This is just a few miles from BAE. Just before we reached our destination, which must be kept secret, which is important as there are far to many holiday makers who stumble upon it, particularly in summer ( is that a Joke). The whole of Hell apparently broke loose, I grabbed my wife to save me, simultaneously I found myself in her grip. I was convinced a jet aircraft was crashing next to us.

A split second later I saw a Typhoon flying along the coast, at something like, at a guess, 400 feet. As quickly as it came it was gone, as it hurtled under the leaden low grey, black, sky. The howling gale of no apparent consequence. The rumble continued long after it was out of sight

Oh, my God my wife exclaimed, what was that? A Typhoon was my reply. What is it doing so low, and so fast, was her next question. Not a clue I said, as I pondered, that it is usual to hear and sometimes see Typhoons as a minute dot in the sky.

Whilst contemplating the meaning of life, in the hostelry,  why is it that pigs cannot fly, another 3 flew past at intervals, or was it the same one on a circuit. I then thought, in a moment of something approaching inspiration, were they investigating the aircrafts all weather capabilities

Flying low at speed or even relatively slowly had raised some questions in my mind recently whilst flying my models. I could not help but notice that at the moment flight after flight of Geese are making their way to Hesketh Bank. What had I had particularly taken notice of was that many of these flights of geese were well above 400 feet. When the weather is favourable, there appears to be hundreds of these groups of perhaps 50 to 100. On this particular occasion I also noticed that the Buzzards were going even higher on occasion. Which at the time caused me to ponder to the Geese and the Buzzards show up on radar? I can hear the distinctive cry from the Geese, to a pilot is it a blob, another drone, or potentially a loud bang. I also thought how does BAE deal with the Geese, which reside just a mile or so from the runway

As for the Typhoons, I am always happy to hear the noise, as it means employment. Living just 6 miles from the site, the eatery just 4 miles, I am amazed at the performance of these most welcome of aircraft.

Edited By Erfolg on 05/10/2017 13:17:01

ken anderson.05/10/2017 13:35:38
8481 forum posts
773 photos

well put over erfolg...........you should have your own column in the mag(any mag) .... you have a knack the way you put your thoughts into words.

ken Anderson....ne..1...... knack dept.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us