Forum sponsored by CML

And I was just going for a swim

LSA CRASH

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
PaulH30/04/2014 15:38:16
108 forum posts
19 photos

This afternoon I went for a swim on Air Force Beach at Evans Head in Northern New South Wales, but arrived to find a Brumby High Wing 610 LSA, being dragged out of the surf by a group of fishermen. The pilot, an eighty one year old gentleman, had been quickly got out and was standing on the beach looking a bit shaken, but otherwise okay. He was very puzzled because the brand new Lycoming O_233 engine had packed up and he couldn't get it restarted, so as he was about 1 kilometer off the coast he turned inland in an attempt to make the old Memorial Airport, which is still open to small aircraft. Unfortunately he couldn't make it, but did get to the waters edge, but because it was full tide, there just wasn't sufficient exposed sand and a wave caught the plane and flipped it over. He said he was terrified that he was going to drown, as he was struggling to get his belt off with one foot caught under the control pedal, but a fisherman had rushed to help free him and he was out in less than a minute. I gave a hand to get the wings off so that it could be hitched up to one of the fishermen's truck and towed up through the Dunes, this is one of only a couple of our local beaches where access is allowed to 4 wheel drive vehicles, so as you can see from the pictures all ended well and later the plane was on the road to the airport for repairs.

p4303107.jpg

p4303105.jpg

The pilot said that after 60 years of flying he now thought it was time to give it up. I suggested that maybe he could take up RC models, but he laughed and said that his son was in to modelling and had tried teaching him, but he'd found the transition too hard.

malcolm woodcock 130/04/2014 17:22:50
405 forum posts

If you walk away from it, it isn't a crash. Good luck to the pilot.

alan p30/04/2014 22:48:51
272 forum posts
7 photos

If you walk away its a good landing , if you can use the aircraft again its a very good landing!! (quote from a CFI)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!