By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Can anyone help me recover lost Drone - Coventry

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul Brennan 107/05/2014 15:36:46
2 forum posts

I know this is probably a long shot, but I 'lost' my AR Drone. In fact, GPS took over and flew it out of site. Actually someone has located it for me, BUT, and here's the crux, it's upside down on a slopeing roof of a commercial unit about 40ft in the Air. There is no direct access to the roof.

I've enquired about hiring a boom lift, but this is cost prohibitive.

So, so anyone have any bright ideas? Or is anyone out their local and competant enough with a chopper to recover it? It has it's lovely hookable underbody exposed and as you probably know, weighs next to nothing.

Before I write it off and a bad deal, I thought I'd put out a cry for help.

Paul

Pete B - Moderator07/05/2014 18:59:21
7513 forum posts
708 photos

I rather hope this thread will remain positive and not degenerate into the usual bun fight!

Sorry to hear about your predicament, Paul.

Apart from the land-bound rescue options, this thread may provide food for thought.

However, the ANO rules will certainly apply and you may have no choice but to go to a licensed quad operator to legitimately carry out such a mission. I don't know the answer as to whether the building owner can give consent for close-proximity flying....

Let the fun begin....wink 2

Pete

iqon07/05/2014 19:31:31
1416 forum posts
238 photos

Wait for a windy day......wink

eflightray07/05/2014 19:48:00
536 forum posts
120 photos

Ask the firebrigade if they could help, owing to there being a Lipo battery onboard, (massive explosion, end of the world etc etc).

They may charge, but don't for cats up trees.

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator07/05/2014 19:49:06
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

The problem with any one flying to recover it is they would probably be breaking the ANO as Pete has implied - by flying within 50m of a structure - i.e. the building! You also run the risk of two models getting stuck up there!

The only other thing I can think of is to contact a local steeplejack and see what he would charge to go up there. Builders etc. are unlikely to have a high enough ladder if it really is 40 feet.

But TBH any of these solutions are likely to cost most of the price of the Drone!

BEB

Paul Brennan 107/05/2014 20:15:39
2 forum posts

I honestly can't waste the fire brigade's time on this - It's been suggested I call them and see if they want to do an exercise, maybe even pay or donate to charity. I hadn't thought about steeplejack. Didn't even consider they still 'existed' - although I think a ladder is a no go - Can't see anything would be strong enough for the height without it being attached to something like a fire truck - I was pretty sure it was no good, but I didn't just want to walk away from it without exploring all options.

Malcolm Fisher07/05/2014 20:33:00
590 forum posts
7 photos

Do you know any fishermen who might have a go at hooking it with a rod and line? It just might work

Malcolm

Rich too08/05/2014 06:41:29
2854 forum posts
1042 photos
Posted by Malcolm Fisher on 07/05/2014 20:33:00:

Do you know any fishermen who might have a go at hooking it with a rod and line? It just might work

Malcolm

exactly - if you can see it this will work. where theres a will theres a way!

Rich

David Hardaker30/06/2014 07:11:45
118 forum posts

Bow + weighted "arrow" to get a string over the target ? Fred Dibnah did this very successfully ! 

Edited By David H on 30/06/2014 07:12:15

Edited By David H on 30/06/2014 07:12:47

MattyAndJo30/06/2014 09:52:36
36 forum posts
4 photos

Hello, firstly and without sounding like a doomsayer, you do have my sympathies, let’s be honest we’ve all had our battles with trees in the past, yours is just a little more “vertical” and less easy to climb.

However, if I could just make one small point, before you “write it off”, and of course I could be completely wrong here, but eventually it’s going to rain, it’s going to get very wet and I would assume you have a lipo battery strapped to it? Surely you are at the very least talking quite a nasty fire risk on someone’s roof?

I for one wouldn’t like a lipo battery sat on my roof in the rain!

I’d give the fire brigade a quick call and see what they can do, nicely explain the situation and I’m sure they’d be willing to help.

Bob Cotsford30/06/2014 09:59:22
7681 forum posts
427 photos

why would a LiPo be more dangerous in the rain?

kc30/06/2014 10:19:32
5792 forum posts
167 photos

If it is that light wait for a windy day! Or create wind with something like a ducted fan unit.

ken anderson.30/06/2014 10:49:08
8298 forum posts
768 photos

I wouldn't worry about the lipo now-or the drone......it'll probably be a bin job......

ken Anderson....ne...1.......bin/rubbish dept.

Conwy Soarer30/06/2014 12:26:57
351 forum posts
213 photos

Fire Brigade might help as a preventative measure. ie If someone sees it, and tries to climb up to get it, they then fall off causing injury etc and need ing the services of the blues and twos. I know of a similar issue of a slope glider landing down a cliff. HMCG cliff team rescued it as they did not want someone self rescuing it and getting in to trouble, it was also used as a training exercise - just a thought!

Bill_B30/06/2014 16:58:49
1145 forum posts
11 photos

I would try the Roach Pole method. These can be bought fairly cheaply and up to 10m in length.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Revoc
CML
Overlander
Wings & Wheels 2018
Motion RC
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us