Forum sponsored by CML

Scanning my magazine archive

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Robin Kearney12/05/2014 13:54:08
1080 forum posts
183 photos

Hi,

I've been pondering what to do with the pile of 80/90s era magazines I have at home, it is very hard to just bin them, but then they are taking up quite a lot of room. Then I discovered that our new shiny printer/photocopier things at work can scan in full colour, automatically scan both sides and email me a PDF.

Now this got me thinking smiley

The long and the short of it is I'm going to try and scan my archive and keep the PDFs on my computer. I appreciate the copyright of sharing them so they are only for my use.

I'd like to know what people think about the quality of the scans, I've grabbed a couple of pages and put them in a PDF which you can see here. (I took a couple of advert pages only, just to ensure nothing copyrighted is shared).

What do people think, is 200dpi good enough? I find it plenty readable and results in a manageable file size.

r.

Steve Goodwin12/05/2014 14:07:16
160 forum posts
15 photos

I think the resolution you have selceted is fine, I read them fine, so much so I was lost in the ads!! interesting to see that prices have not really changed for comparable equipment! For example Futaba radio with four servos and nicads for around £200, not a million miles from where we are today.

Sorry Robin that wasn't your question was it, but thanks anyway!!smile p

Simon B12/05/2014 15:13:44
1936 forum posts
284 photos

Some stuff has got cheaper. Have a look at the Foss Acro Wot kit and compare prices to now. Factor in inflation and most stuff has got cheaper!

Robin Kearney12/05/2014 15:41:13
1080 forum posts
183 photos

Thanks Steve, I guess the point is if you were lost in reading the ads, the resolution is fine. I'll get scanning then

r.

KingKade12/05/2014 15:47:53
512 forum posts
22 photos

Robin, I was in the process of figuring out what printer scanner to get, just now, which one have you got?

kk

Robin Kearney12/05/2014 15:55:50
1080 forum posts
183 photos

The one I used is here at work, its one of these, as you can see below probably not for the home office

Its nice though, I simply tell it to email, colour, scan both sides and it does the rest. Amazingly quickly too, must have scanned a whole mag in under a minute, the PDF was in my inbox before I got back to my desk.

KingKade12/05/2014 15:58:33
512 forum posts
22 photos

Ah yeah i used something similar at work, i thought you may have a home office solution....

thanks...

KK

Robin Kearney12/05/2014 16:05:01
1080 forum posts
183 photos

I did have a look around for a home solution a few years ago, but found that as soon as you want auto feed and double side scanning the cost became too much. I've an epson scanner at home which is great for photos but I didn't fancy the effort of scanning each page individually!

KingKade12/05/2014 16:18:34
512 forum posts
22 photos

wink

Understood! I'll stay late after work one day!!!

cymaz12/05/2014 16:26:51
9254 forum posts
1196 photos

I'm in, excellentthumbs up

Robin Kearney12/05/2014 16:30:27
1080 forum posts
183 photos

One thing I've found KK is I needed to cut about 5mm from the spine, less than that and the pages were still curled sufficiently to cause the auto feeder some issues. If you can scan A3 then presumably you could do it with just removing the staples, but then you end up having to fiddle with the PDF to make it sane, because all the pages are out of order.

This way I get PDFs and have to bin the mags, which is a slight shame, but keeps SWMBO happy because PDFs take up less space at home

r.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!