Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Robert Alexander 116/05/2014 20:10:18
92 forum posts

Some requirements in random order:

• Slow landing speeds / short fields / flaps
  • Capable of FPV in the future
  • Good thermalling / climbing / slow flying
  • Strong / low maint
  • I'd sooooo love to have telemetry of height / airspeed and vario in the future

Even though I have a couple hundred hours as a saiplane pilot I know I'll be a total beginner when it comes to flying models (I'm currently learning to fly quadcopters).

Other than the glider, what flight control platform would you suggest ? Are there FCs that could help with stabilization and/or thermal centering ? What about Tx/Rx ? I currently have an old Spektrum DX6i for my quad but guess it would might not have enough chans for flaps / airbrakes whatever ?

Thanks for any initial guidance / advice

Robert

Tony F16/05/2014 20:15:09
484 forum posts
105 photos

Hi Robert....check this page out....**LINK** Quite a few to choose from....read the specs to check if any of them suit you ?

Tony

Steve Dorling16/12/2014 06:59:52
41 forum posts
1 articles

Multiplex Easy Glider - no brainer

Do NOT go for the cheap clones - no comparison

Fatscoleymo16/12/2014 07:26:06
242 forum posts
86 photos

Hobbyking Bixler. Perfect for what you want. Best 'bang for the buck' fun I've had for years.

So easy to fly, flaps make small field landings a doddle, thermals really well.s

mall enough to leave rigged, prop above the fus behind the wing so out of the way of camera. I use it with a Mobius camera for recording and with an inexpensive HK fpv setup that works really well. Seconds to remove the canopy and fit the fpv setup. Mobius just fitted with velcro on the nose. I am very impressed with the stock fpv kit and monitor.

I use the Frsky Taranis transmitter which again I cannot recommend too highly and Frsky receivers. I've got a Frsky vario in it (£20) and on a 3 way switch I have audio vario tones or spoken rate of climb/descent or altitude. Volume controlled on a slider so I can turn it down if it gets on me nerves. Highest thermal has been to 415 meters at which point it's only just visible.

Like you I have full size sailplane hours (and PPL), Bixler makes me smile a lot.

Sorry about the bold print, can't get rid of it《

Ernie16/12/2014 08:57:57
2482 forum posts
16 photos

Hi Robert, DB atrain......Has an optional power pod, or you can put a wee electric motor in the front.

You do have to build it, but thats at least half the fun

ernie

Ernie16/12/2014 09:01:42
2482 forum posts
16 photos

Sorry, It's very very slow this morning.......... Can you fix it Pete? I can't

ernie

Pete B - Moderator16/12/2014 10:36:57
7513 forum posts
708 photos

That's one thing I can fix, Ernie....wink 2

As fats suggests, have a look at the Bixler 3 - the latest version. Not a large glider at 1550mm span and thermal performance won't match the EG, TBH, but it's designed for easy conversion to FPV and it's as cheap as chips and a doddle to fly.

Pete

Robert Alexander 116/12/2014 10:39:36
92 forum posts

Thank you very much. Happy XMas to you and your loved ones !

Robert

Frank Skilbeck16/12/2014 12:09:04
4245 forum posts
100 photos

Robert, some good suggestions there re Bixler, Easystar and Easy Glider are all good, and I can voucher for both the Easystar and Easy Glider being pretty tough and robust.. I wouldn't get too hung up about adding flaps etc for now and with your Dx6i you can set up any of the above to have spoilerons (admittedly on a switch) to dump the lift on landing. You can then start to look around at other radios once you've got a real idea of what you want.

I'll also just point you to the Parkzone Ka8, not electric, but a really good glider and comes Bind n Fly to link with your Dx6i, and as it's being discontinued it's on special offer here.

Brian Hammond16/12/2014 18:25:37
252 forum posts

Hi Robert, the Parkzone Radian Pro was my first electric glider and I seem to fly it more than any of my other models as it,s so easy to fly in most conditions.

Robert Alexander 116/12/2014 19:32:28
92 forum posts

Thanks for the additional suggestions. I was amused looking at the Ka8 which looks a lot like the glider in which I've attained my pilot license, a venerable but dependable Bergfalke ! http://www.planephotos.net/photos/5749_Scheibe-Bergfalke-IV_OM-0902.jpg

You all take care

robert chamberlain12/09/2017 01:34:32
102 forum posts

Hi all, I am converting an old GentleLady to a motor/Lipo launch. I know that as the battery depletes the prop stops but there will/should be enough power to run the receiver and servos for a period of time. If this were a powered airplane, the best idea would be to land . But ,If there was a lot of thermal activity going on I just do not want to land right now. SO,---the way I figure it is to cut the small red wire which usually goes to the receiver, tape it over, and plug in a separate battery pack into the receiver of a size I know will be OK for several hours or until my neck gives out. Does this sound about right? ----------Another silly question if I may.( I have not flown in years) if I plug the servo in the wrong way will anything bad happen or will it just not work?-------Regards, Bob C

Brian Hammond12/09/2017 07:31:05
252 forum posts

Hi Robert, if you set the ESC to cut out at a higher voltage than normal you would have plenty of power left to operate the RX and servos .

Frank Skilbeck12/09/2017 08:01:44
4245 forum posts
100 photos

Robert, you don't say what battery size, but I' say with a Gentle Lady that 500 mah would quite easily give you well over 2 hours non-powered flight, based on our non-powered Bird of Time. If your radio has a throttle activated timer you can set that so you have plenty of battery left.

I don't think you really need a separate battery, and also it's not a good idea to continuously discharge the Lipo power pack down to the low voltage cut out on a regular basis as that reduces their life.

Ikura12/09/2017 09:27:49
262 forum posts
Posted by Steve Dorling on 16/12/2014 06:59:52:

Multiplex Easy Glider - no brainer

Do NOT go for the cheap clones - no comparison

Spot on. Easy Glider Pro or Easy Glider 4 and use spoilerons for landing. No need for flaps on it.

Tough and enormously capable glider that will take all sorts of bashing around. It also thermals very well and if you care to hoon around with it later it will do that too. I increased the prop size on my one to 11x6 and it climbs very well.

Old Geezer12/09/2017 09:41:38
560 forum posts

Fully agree with the esteemed Steve Dorling - ticks all the boxes. Construction straightforward and everything fits without sanding/trimming/easing i.e. Multiplex quality. As Ikura says, no need for flaps & drifting about at height you don't even need the ailerons, just a sniff of rudder and even less of elevator.

Robert Alexander 113/09/2017 12:05:31
92 forum posts

Thank you all sooooo much. Two little questions if I may:

a) What are the differences between the Easyglider Pro and 4

b) In case I would use it as a platform for aerial video in the future would your recommendations still hold true?

I have an oldish radio I use with my quadcopter. That would be good for it hence only need to buy a receiver and LiPos for the take off motor ?

Cheers.

Ikura13/09/2017 12:14:10
262 forum posts
Posted by Robert Alexander 1 on 13/09/2017 12:05:31:

Thank you all sooooo much. Two little questions if I may:

a) What are the differences between the Easyglider Pro and 4

b) In case I would use it as a platform for aerial video in the future would your recommendations still hold true?

I have an oldish radio I use with my quadcopter. That would be good for it hence only need to buy a receiver and LiPos for the take off motor ?

Cheers.

The Easy Glider Pro is the previous version. The Easy Glider 4 is the new (updated) version and has an easily removable tail for ease of transport.

Both fly extremely well and there's not much to choose between them really. I don't think you can buy the Easy Glider Pro any more so go with the Easy Glider 4.

You only need a basic radio for these gliders. They are simple to fly and yes you could load them up with lots of FPV or video cameras.

When I was in Germany recently there was a young guy flying an Easy Glider Pro with a GoPro set into the foam canopy and his flew very well.

Hope this helps.

Robert Alexander 113/09/2017 12:44:48
92 forum posts

Aw great, thanks now I understand.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Revoc
CML
Overlander
Wings & Wheels 2018
Motion RC
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us