Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Falcon 1/4 scale Tiger Moth

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Trevor Rushton26/05/2014 22:30:08
458 forum posts
181 photos

Thanks Gary, it's a working fitting. I have had a look at the sheet of steel parts and there are a couple of possible candidates there but as far as I can see the bottom fitting is not shown on the drawings ( or if it is I have not found it yet). I have not figured the wing fixing out yet, but I am sure it will make sense before long. There are dozens of metal fittings, so it's as much of a challenge finding the right parts. All good fun.

lower port wing glued up tonight; feels light and strong.

I realised part way through that I should have shaped the main and rear spars at the tip before assembly; managed to do it in situ, but next time I will do it first!

cymaz26/05/2014 22:32:33
8927 forum posts
1180 photos

Trevor, it might be worth giving Falcon a ring if you get stuck. They might be able to help you out.

Trevor Rushton27/05/2014 22:24:28
458 forum posts
181 photos

I emailed Chris at Falcon and he replied straight away. Very helpful.

Essentially the wing servo arrangement is as suspected; insufficient depth in the rib to accommodate a normal servo, hence the 125s, driving the ailerons via a pushrod and an offset servo arm to provide differential. The underside of the wing can have a dummy disc, but with a small slot for the servo arm.

The wing mount is actually three pieces; the "T" shaped part then a further part with the edges folded up and a third spreader underneath of the type that Gary describes. The finished thing will look pretty well exactly like the one in Gary's photo and is fitted on top of the covering.

Finally, the ply doublers that I referred to in an earlier post do not need shims, just soak the ply to make it more flexible and bend it in place.

The 3 wing parts are shown below; it all makes sense now, but I am not sure how to bend the edges of the top part up (its the middle of the three components shown in the photo). The steel parts are very stiff; I am sure that there is a way that experienced metal workers will know - but I'm not an experienced metal worker. Clamp between two stout pieces of steel bar and bend over? I guess I heat it first? Any suggestions very welcome - We are probably talking a lip of about 1.5mm (I have not measured it yet.

img_0332.jpg

Gary Binnie28/05/2014 12:32:23
518 forum posts
36 photos

Making more sense now isn't it?!!

Bending the lips up could be tricky, might not need heat, try bending a scrap piece if they provided any and see if it cracks.

I would clamp it hard between two pieces of thin square steel (something like a lathe cutting tool) in an engineer's vice, ideally the steel 'dolly' should have a radius. Try bending it by holding a square steel block (matchbox size) against the bit to be bent and tapping it with a hammer.

GB

Trevor Rushton28/05/2014 21:55:07
458 forum posts
181 photos

Thanks Gary

the metal is approx 0.5 mm and I found it fairly easy to bend by clamping the 2mm upstanding very tightly and bending the wider part over. That's the easy bit, it gets harder forming the other side because you cannot bend it through 90 deg. At the moment it's not bad, but the bottom has curved a bit rather than forming a sharp bend however I think that with some care it will be possible to flatten it out using a suitable hardwood former.

Gary Binnie28/05/2014 22:05:03
518 forum posts
36 photos

Fun bending stuff at that scale! Sheet metalwork was part of my trade in the RAF.

Might be worth copying the unworked part from the other wing and make an aluminum, brass or lithoplate one, assuming it does not affect the structural strength, much easier to bend accurately.

Material thickness on the full size is only about 1/8th inch (3.2 mm in new money).

I will get some photos for you but with this weather there has been no need (or desire) to venture to the airfield!!

Gary Binnie28/05/2014 22:06:47
518 forum posts
36 photos

Did I say 'aluminum'! That's my Phantom days coming out!!

Trevor Rushton28/05/2014 22:29:40
458 forum posts
181 photos

image.jpg

Gary Binnie28/05/2014 22:41:35
518 forum posts
36 photos

Nothing wrong with that at all.

See, you can do it!

Good stuff.

Trevor Rushton28/05/2014 22:46:47
458 forum posts
181 photos

I have fiddled a bit more and am happier, but I think that Brass or aluminium would be easier. I need to spend some more time truing it up but I don't think it's bad.

Thickness must be about scale then Gary? Give or take.

On other matters: As a boy I remember watching the Blue Angels phantom display team at either Bentwaters or Mildenhall. - quite noisy I recall - loved every minute!

I don't blame you for staying away from the airfield; getting a tad boggy I would imagine.

Gary Binnie28/05/2014 23:02:35
518 forum posts
36 photos

It will get painted anyway so the material isn't important. Thickness looks right, if my guess is right then scale thickness would be 1/32" or 0.8 mm.

Is there a matching fitting for the fuselage that this attaches to?

The Blue Angels with F-4Js were not exactly environmentally friendly! My local base was Upper Heyford, I was standing on a 45 gallon drum to see over the people and an F-101 Voodoo came from behind the crowd line, transonic at zero feet., ended up on the grass!! That was a while ago!

Trevor Rushton30/05/2014 21:34:52
458 forum posts
181 photos

Started on the second lower wing panel tonight and immediately realised that I had made an error in the port wing. I had searched for details of the taper for the front and rear spars at the tip, failed to find anything so assumed that they tapered top and bottom by an equal amount. However, the starboard Wing drawing shows the taper on the top side only. I will build it like that and adjust the other side. I do like to make things more difficult than they need to be. Moral: read the drawings properly!

Trevor Rushton30/05/2014 23:05:31
458 forum posts
181 photos

Gary, they don't do air shows like that any more! A good thing probably, but not quite the same somehow. Or am I just getting older?

Trevor Rushton31/05/2014 17:57:50
458 forum posts
181 photos

image.jpgWing tip re- made today, it took a bit of cutting out but with the help of some PU glue to make up for the inevitable gaps, the remedially worked well. I guess it would not have made very much difference, but might as well get it right.

port wing now back on track and starboard lower 50 % done.

some pics of the wing; currently weighs in at 222 grammes without the aileron, other parts are aileron 25g, rudder25 g fin, 32g elevators 27g horiz. Stab 44g

Trevor Rushton31/05/2014 17:59:55
458 forum posts
181 photos

image.jpgDetail of lower port front wing fixing point; a Plywood "wrap around" is provided just like the full size; I have not added this yet.

Trevor Rushton31/05/2014 18:11:48
458 forum posts
181 photos

image.jpgThe reconstructed tip. The whole thing is very strong although I have added a 1/64 ply doubler to the joint butt joint between the aileron ft railing edge and the curved tip. Must me ember to add some lightness somewhere else.

Trevor Rushton31/05/2014 18:12:56
458 forum posts
181 photos

image.jpgHere are the parts completed to date. Adding the riblets was very therapeutic!

Trevor Rushton31/05/2014 18:13:48
458 forum posts
181 photos

Photos from the iPhone keep turning upside down but you get the gist of it.

cymaz01/06/2014 08:13:18
8927 forum posts
1180 photos

Trevor, if you want some scale detail, then I came across this on eBay. It might help....

Here

Trevor Rushton01/06/2014 20:05:12
458 forum posts
181 photos

Thanks Cymaz

Looks like a good lot of stuff there. I will think about it.

Trevor

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
CADMA
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us