Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Throttle connection

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
fly boy324/05/2014 20:51:07
3672 forum posts
22 photos

Hi all, I need to fit a snake for my throttle connection, having always used solid piano wire in the past. What is best practice for this job,considering that the inner of snake is probably nylon or similar. Thanks

Handyman24/05/2014 21:01:28
215 forum posts
1 photos

Personally fly boy3, I have always used Bowden cable running through a plastic or PTFE tube. I usually tin the ends to stiffen them up and I try and use a nylon or plastic clevis at the engine end a connector on the servo end that the wire can pass through and be easily adjusted and clamped with an Allen key. Never failed for me.

Handyman24/05/2014 21:04:32
215 forum posts
1 photos

That should have read, " and a connector on the servo arm so that the other end of the Bowden cable can pass through it and be easily adjusted and clamped with the Allen screw ( grub screw)..

fly boy324/05/2014 21:15:17
3672 forum posts
22 photos

Cheers Handyman, I like that idea. Always used pushrods, piano wire etc. If I use a snake for the throttle ,might as well use it for rudder and elevator. Would same set up be suitable ? Cheers

Bob Cotsford25/05/2014 09:29:02
8393 forum posts
463 photos

Golden Rods, 2mm studding (or a 25mm long bolt with the head cut off) screwed in one end of the inner with a 2mm clevis and fuel tube keeper, either the same t'other end or 2mm pushrod screwed in with a Z bend for the servo. 1 cm of thread screwed in will be plenty strong enough.

Richie Carey Maddog Designs UK25/05/2014 09:51:28
338 forum posts
747 photos

Hi fly boy3,

This is the throttle connection I have always use it is simple to install and it has never failed.

Hope this helps

Richie

untitled-2.jpg

fly boy325/05/2014 17:18:24
3672 forum posts
22 photos

Thanks all lads for the info. Will have to do a bit of reading as to which one can fit my set up. Cheers FB3

Stevo25/05/2014 18:35:41
2699 forum posts
419 photos

After a few problems, I've now gone over to piano wire. If it's longer than 6" (no jokes) then I tend to run the piano wire through some form of snake, but keep them absolutely frictionless.

I've even moved servos on ARTFs etc to achieve this, perhaps I'm a perfectionist.

I've seen a few ARTFs at the club where the throttle run is always (almost) an afterthought, and far too tight and a convoluted run. Like the other linkages on a model - keep them simple and direct as possible!

fly boy325/05/2014 22:39:20
3672 forum posts
22 photos

Hi Stevo, I have always used piano wire, but due to lack of space, I may have to use a complete snake (from throttle to servo) or a combination of both. Thanks

fly boy325/05/2014 22:40:36
3672 forum posts
22 photos

Hi Stevo, I have always used piano wire, but due to lack of space, I may have to use a complete snake (from throttle to servo) or a combination of both. Thanks. ps moving the servo and using a smaller one may help.

Handyman25/05/2014 23:19:38
215 forum posts
1 photos

Hi flyboy3. Bowden cable is okay for throttle but I would not recommend it for rudder or elevator. Rudder could be worked with a pull-pull system using a double horn. That gives you plenty of pull without having to worry about blow-back. As regards elevator, I would use a solid balsa pushrod with piano wire ends with "Z" bend on both ends and try and arrange it so that you pull for up, if that would be possible,

fly boy326/05/2014 21:36:51
3672 forum posts
22 photos

Hi Handyman, thanks for your input, I have used pull pull before and find it easy to set up. A bit puzzled with "pull for up" for elevator ? Can you enlighten me further please. Cheers

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!