Forum sponsored by CML

Martyn's Chippie RCAF 671

My first proper scale model

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Nev31/03/2015 21:54:25
592 forum posts
221 photos

Nice job on the tail wheel Martyn. Can't fault the workmanship.
Do you think there is enough meat left on the fork, wouldn't like to think the axel was going to snap out. Looks really good though.
Nev.

Martyn K31/03/2015 22:22:55
5084 forum posts
3678 photos

Thanks Nev

i hope it will be strong enough. I used duralumin rather than aluminium as it is much harder and it is also quite thick, I filed the edge to a curve to try and simulate the tube on the original. It seems quite tough. If it breaks I can replace it as it is screwed onto the shaft - clamped between two nuts.

Martyn

john stones 131/03/2015 22:45:02
11528 forum posts
1517 photos

Looks o.k to me Martyn, the fiddly bits do my head in crook

John

Martyn K18/05/2015 14:49:47
5084 forum posts
3678 photos

A little bit of progress this weekend

Still working on the back end..

dscn1499.jpg

I have now got my linkages in place and I have soldered a tiller arm onto the top of my steerable tailwheel

dscn1502.jpg

The rudder linkage comprises of a terminal screw which is clamped to the clevis rod. This has a brass pin protruding downwards which goes through the hole in the brass plate and is secured by a soldered on brass washer.

dscn1503.jpg

A bit of light ply as a cross brace to support it while assembly is in progress

It was apparent that I would soon need to add some rivets..

So following Danny's excellent blog, guide and encouragement

dscn1500.jpg

Rather than use a glue bottle, I used a cheap disposable syringe. My thought was that I can pressurise this (a little glue - lots of air) then this should give me a nice consistent flow rate.

dscn1501.jpg

For a first attempt, I was quite pleased.

dscn1504.jpg

The rivets just sit proud - although the last 2 were not proud enough..

Then following "el maestros" instructions, covered the rudder in Solartex.

dscn1507.jpg

To my uneducated eye, it looks OK... I have never ever seen a live or dead Chippie, so I am relying on others photo evidence

Then last night spent an evening fettling and trying to see what I need to do to get the tailplane and fin to fit. I also started carving the fuselage tail piece which I think that will get binned - not happy with it at all.

dscn1505.jpg

and

dscn1506.jpg

Fiddly - isn't it?

Note - I have also glassed the tailplane - it looks OK.

More to come - eventually.

Next job is tail end tapes and stitching..

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 18/05/2015 14:52:18

Danny Fenton18/05/2015 15:40:31
9627 forum posts
4449 photos

Looking good Martyn, what glue did you use for the rivets?

Cheers

Danny

El Maestro indeed LOL

Martyn K18/05/2015 15:45:04
5084 forum posts
3678 photos

Hi Danny (Maestro)

Evo-Stik Resin W (Green bottle). My standard building stuff.

I left it dry for a good 2 hours possible longer- the rivets actually went totally clear as the glue hardened. Not sure if that is good or bad

I need to decide what to do about the missing bumps. Reluctant to strip the covering back as I don't want to damage the other but may have to redo this bit

Martyn

Danny Fenton18/05/2015 16:06:41
9627 forum posts
4449 photos

Hi Martyn, that Evo-Stik is my "rivet" glue of choice too these days. It dries a little harder than the RC modellers glue. It is a bit thicker/viscous to use however and I had to go up a needle size.

The rivets going clear is normal I don't leave them as long as you though, as soon as they are clear they are done

As for your missing bumps, I wouldn't worry, they should be so subtle that a few flattened ones wont matter. I did find the covering iron had to be kept clear of the "rivets" or they would squash flat

Cheers

Danny

Martyn K18/05/2015 16:16:10
5084 forum posts
3678 photos

Thanks Danny

I was in no rush yesterday so happy to let it harden.

Quite an entertaining experience - ended up wiping most off until I got the flow rate right.

Martyn

Martyn K06/01/2017 12:09:27
5084 forum posts
3678 photos

There must be something in the air. I have restarted my Chippe as well.

I have to admit that I was a bit disillusioned with the design. To build a scale model from a proven designer's plan, I expected the basics (like the sizes of the flying and control surfaces) etc to be correct as drawn. When I started this I was quite prepared to do quite lot a rework to make everything fit. After a while, my enthusiasm waned and demands of fleet maintenance and an especially horrendous year of airframe replacement following a number of crashes took precedence. I also don't have the affection for a Chippie that many of the Chip Shop builders have. I would rather have built a biplane - I prefer WW1 or an accurate replica of a 60's or 70's aerobat

So, the Chippie went up in the loft and was promptly forgotten about. However, the guilt factor at the back of my mind didn't go away and the fact that I needed a scale model for events like Ashbourne were still there as well.

A couple of off-line chats with Danny and I think I have a way forward that will hopefully keep me happy.

Basically, I am now going to build this as (hopefully) a good stand-off scale model. It wont be a contest model and it will definitely not be to Danny's standard. I can only dream about building to that standard.

My plan is to complete the airframe and then add sensible amounts of detail - rib tapes and rivets and things like that - until I lose my patience or get bored. Not sure about panels although they are likely as well. I am not going to make any corrections to the plan - ailerons and flaps will be built as drawn and irritatingly massively incorrect and angled ribs will remain straight.

I'll skip things like sliding canopies, stitching etc. although I hope to have a reasonable level of detail in the cockpit. Basically, something nice to look at but without the wow factor.

I am also going to use electric as the motive power so I don't have to worry about fool proofer. Basically I am going to use a KISS philosophy

So, to restart and re-motivate myself, I have ripped out the radio gear in the Fus (I don't have to worry about a scale level floor now) and started work on the wing.

wing1d.jpg

All ribs present and correct. I am laminating the LE from 2 pieces of 1/8 sheet to make a false LE, then cap the sheeted LE with the second 1/8 sheet.

wing1c.jpg

First half went together OK. Just in time, I spotted that the holes for the aileron pushrods were missing.

wing1b.jpg

So did the second half. The port wing is being assembled upside down in case you haven't spotted that.

The 3 root ribs each side to be fitted after the doublers are in place.

wing2.jpg

It took me 3 attempts to get this correct - my errors mainly. Eventually used a laser alignment with a straight edge as belt and braces. Some strange forces occur in my shed that attract me there and I am pretty sure that they bend light as well.

More to come but only while I am waiting for the glue to dry on the Hornet Moth

Martyn

Danny Fenton06/01/2017 12:21:31
9627 forum posts
4449 photos

Great to see you back at it Martyn the wing is definitely a challenge....

I look forward to eventually flying all the Chippys together somewhere

Cheers

Danny

Andy Muckley06/01/2017 20:04:47
365 forum posts
13 photos

Hi All. I t would be a great event to fly ,or even maiden them all together somewhere, sometime, like The Master said.(sorry danny) it's like eating an Elephant , one bite at a time. Maybe we need a date/ venue to aim for regardless of quality of finish. what you guys think ?

Colin Leighfield06/01/2017 23:55:32
5996 forum posts
2503 photos

It would be a nice idea to get them all together, although better if they've already been maidened and sorted before getting there! I share some of Martyn's views of the design, also as I've mentioned before of the marginal (brittle) quality of the wing ribs, I shoiuld probably have sent them back rather than persevere. I found that working inside the wing sorting out aileron linkages etc, that it split very easily and I had to do quite a bit of repair work as I went along.

I don't think that I will be going overboard on the scale detail, stand-off will do and if the plane survives, I could add detail later if I feel the need. The first thing to do is finish and fly it.

John Timmis07/01/2017 16:21:52
238 forum posts
309 photos

Martyn

Glad to see you back on the job again. I think that we are almost neighbours. Perhaps we should meet to compare Chippie experiences.

Danny

A mass fly in of Chippies would be great idea. Looking forward to it already.

John

Martyn K09/01/2017 15:12:45
5084 forum posts
3678 photos

Hi all

A bit of progress while waiting for the glue to dry on the Hornet Moth

The missing wing ribs have been added and I have also added the upper wing sheeting.

wing3.jpg

I used lots of clamps to get nice tight joints. I have also increased the size of the undercarriage blocks. Only because it is what I had available. As I have a bit of spare material, I may make slightly different undercarriage brackets than those shown on the plan. Nothing too radical though.

The LE sheeting went on quite well. I always feel much happier with the wing ribs secured - it makes the wing much more manageable.

wing4.jpg

A couple more changes. I am going to use 2 aileron servos - but mounted centrally and 2 flap servos activating the flaps using a torque rod.

I'll probably use side mount low profile servos for these and the R/E.

Certainly feeling happier now the build has restarted.

Off work with Flu so not getting much done - except re-reading Danny's 'Poor Mans Spitty' blog - again.

I need to decide whether I am going to use the HK U/C legs or settle for simple 8G piano wire jobbies. Jury is still out on that.

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 09/01/2017 15:15:47

Martyn K09/01/2017 15:13:16
5084 forum posts
3678 photos
Posted by John Timmis on 07/01/2017 16:21:52:

Martyn

Glad to see you back on the job again. I think that we are almost neighbours. Perhaps we should meet to compare Chippie experiences.

Danny

A mass fly in of Chippies would be great idea. Looking forward to it already.

John

Hi John

Yes - it would be good to meet up. Whereabouts are you?

Martyn

Martyn K09/01/2017 15:15:02
5084 forum posts
3678 photos
Posted by Andy Muckley on 06/01/2017 20:04:47:

Hi All. I t would be a great event to fly ,or even maiden them all together somewhere, sometime, like The Master said.(sorry danny) it's like eating an Elephant , one bite at a time. Maybe we need a date/ venue to aim for regardless of quality of finish. what you guys think ?

Hi Andy

I think we originally said we would meet up at GA last year... possibly next year (2018) may be a better option - a builders and survivors meet. If I get to GA this year. I'll happily bring the chippie along.

Danny Fenton09/01/2017 15:20:57
9627 forum posts
4449 photos

I will be at Greenacres this year, and next year too, Lord willing.

We could also display "where we are up to" in the marquee during the day if that would be of interest? I would have to clear it with young Jim, but usually the marquee is empty during the day unless we are sheltering from the rain in it!!! But we wont have rain will we

Cheers

Danny

Nev09/01/2017 19:20:30
592 forum posts
221 photos

You certainly crack on when you put your mind to it Martyn.

Nice wings.

Nev.

John Timmis09/01/2017 20:07:57
238 forum posts
309 photos

Hi Martyn

I'm in the Crewe /Nantwich area. Not too far/

Cheers John

Andy Muckley09/01/2017 23:11:06
365 forum posts
13 photos

Hi Martyn, that sounds like a plan 2018,

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!