Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Stephen Jones14/06/2014 21:27:47
2853 forum posts
1618 photos

I am On call Yet again, good weather sad

Jack Banner14/06/2014 21:32:00
332 forum posts
43 photos

Weather was a bit variable today but cleared up in the afternoon. We even managed to get the BBQ going!

Chuck Plains14/06/2014 21:36:09
1096 forum posts
244 photos

No car at the moment. Even so, I managed to come up with a makeshift way to carry a Bixler on my back and cycle approx 6 miles to where I probably won't endanger the public. Did that a few times, but haven't flown for a month or so.

Bob Cotsford14/06/2014 21:39:12
8636 forum posts
483 photos

Me too Stephen, but I stil went up the field, for what it was worth:

deserted.jpg

Pity we're banned from flying on our ownsad

So a couple of hours setting engines up on the ground and comparing props ready for noise tests - then I got called out from work just to make my day.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 14/06/2014 21:40:44

Stephen Jones14/06/2014 21:56:49
2853 forum posts
1618 photos

I get so fed up at times i can sit around all day and nothing , But as soon as i pick up a paint brush or get half way through something the phone goes and so do i .

i have a wall that is a constant reminder not the start something you can not finish .

so now i don't bother angry

Steve ,

Erfolg14/06/2014 22:28:33
11781 forum posts
1340 photos

The idea that anybody who is not an employee, cannot make a decision with respect as to what activities that they are not permitted or cannot decide for themselves what risks are acceptable, must be living in  a jobs worth world, a bit of nonsense, pretending to be a H&S issue.

Are you allowed to drive by yourself, stay at home, or perhaps garden by yourself, of course you can. There are so many activities that undertaken as a lone individual, it produces an almost infinite list. So what is special about flying a model plane? You are not an employee, it is your responsibility.

Is it time to challenge silly rules and individuals who seek to control others actions, or maybe vote with your feet and wallet.

Edited By Erfolg on 14/06/2014 22:29:35

Former Member14/06/2014 23:41:27

[This posting has been removed]

Bob Cotsford15/06/2014 09:54:36
8636 forum posts
483 photos
Posted by Erfolg on 14/06/2014 22:28:33:

Is it time to challenge silly rules and individuals who seek to control others actions, or maybe vote with your feet and wallet.

Edited By Erfolg on 14/06/2014 22:29:35

Not totally silly in view of the ageing population amongst modelers and the possibility of someone popping their clogs at the field, but it is a bit H&S for a hobby. They are a good crowd though so I wouldn't leave just over this one rule.
It has motivated me to look for a second club to join, can't beat keeping your options open.

john stones 115/06/2014 10:02:04
11591 forum posts
1517 photos

If your flying buddy pops his clogs do's that mean you have to stop flying Bob surprise

John

Erfolg15/06/2014 10:10:56
11781 forum posts
1340 photos

Bob, you may think it is not a silly rule. Others are entitled to think otherwise.

I may be ageing, it does not stop me thinking for myself, nor making decisions which impact primarily on myself.

You may not choose to leave a club over this rule, I certainly would.

Much of what passes for Health and Safety is not recognised by the H&S Executive itself.

ken anderson.15/06/2014 10:12:40
8712 forum posts
808 photos

red hot here yesterday-----we have 122 members in our club......there was 6 at our site.... flying..

ken Anderson ne.1. weather dept.

Cliff Bastow15/06/2014 10:14:29
902 forum posts
464 photos

We had a member at our club cut his wrist on a prop very badly, cutting an artery a couple of years ago. It was bandaged as best we could then another member drove him to the nearby hospital, He was told at the hospital that two people should have gone with him so that one can drive and one look after the patient.

So this would mean that you should not fly unless there are at least three people at the field!

I am all for rules when needed but where does it end? Surely at the end of the day its at your risk. And as for elder modellers popping there glogs at the field, this could happen at any time. So can they not drive alone, or go for a walk or watch telly?

Bob Cotsford15/06/2014 10:24:24
8636 forum posts
483 photos

Couldn't agree more on a personal level, but the club has decided that there is to be no solo flying so that

a) there is assistance on hand in the event of injury or illness

and possibly more relevant

b) there is a witness available in the event of an accident/third party injury (ie member of the public) claim, report of dangerous behaviour, excess noise etc. that could affect the club's site planning permission renewal.

Now I could throw my teddy out of the pram and go elsewhere, but as I said earlier, they're a good crowd and I knew the rules before joining so is it worth getting bolshy over a minor point?  Yes, it's frustrating on occasion but hardly the end of the world.

Anyway, I'm now going to pack the car and go prospecting at the North Worcester club site.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 15/06/2014 10:30:59

john stones 115/06/2014 10:31:22
11591 forum posts
1517 photos

Some clubs have different rules...some require an A..some don't

You join or you don't, as Bob say's there are some good lads therewink

John

Stephen Jones15/06/2014 10:52:50
2853 forum posts
1618 photos

Well, Today is grey and miserable but i figured as everyone will of been up late watching football , call would be quiet so I decided to try and launch my sipa 200 from the launch dolly I made. I am glad I sneaked out as it worked perfectly. Video to follow later. Well pleased with myself Stephen. It now means that I don't have to rely on anyone being at the field when I want to fly it.

Steve

ken anderson.15/06/2014 10:58:55
8712 forum posts
808 photos

common sense and safety...... I read that if you were at a site( secluded one) and with a powerfull model that you caught your digits in the prop....you.would prob pass out and not wake up as the old amber nectar would drain out of you in minute's.....we had a one last year a lad in his 70's who caught his arm and lost a litre of blood...... I was like a mass murder trying to stem the flow......and it took an ambulance 30 min's+ to find our site.......we learnt a lesson and had the coordinates for our site made in to a plaque that is fastened to one of the seats and easy to send off if reqd in future....the weather at the time was really nice also-ok Pete...teeth 2 .......hot

club sign.jpg

ken Anderson......ne.....1.......weather and........ .lost blood dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 15/06/2014 11:07:58

Pete B - Moderator15/06/2014 11:02:08
7667 forum posts
734 photos

This thread is meant to be a chance to report on the happy side of model flying, gents - club rules can be and have been discussed elsewhere, so I'd be obliged if you'd find/start another thread for the heavy stuff, please...wink 2

Pete

Erfolg15/06/2014 11:03:09
11781 forum posts
1340 photos

Bob, I do think you are being disingenuous to suggest that challenging or being unwilling to accept imposed rule is "throwing your teddy out of the pram".

Being anywhere, on your own, always implies that any illness etc., can occur unobserved. You do not need to be flying for this to happen, it could happen just as easily whilst being in the field. You can fall ill behind the wheel of a car, at any age. Yet at present, no one is prevented from driving alone.

I can see the sense in encouraging all to carry a mobile phone with them, be it flying, walking (say in remote locations) etc.

For my part I would campaign to change such a rule, if it is apparent that I am a voice of one, I would endeavour to find like minded flyers and join them.

Edited By Erfolg on 15/06/2014 11:04:36

Pete B - Moderator15/06/2014 11:26:13
7667 forum posts
734 photos

I'll let Erf's last comment stand as it was posted at about the same time as mine.. please continue this theme elsewhere, tathumbs up

pete

john stones 115/06/2014 12:04:13
11591 forum posts
1517 photos

Not sure about the Summer bit ..it's a bit grey but calm here, anyway up bright n early six battery's charged

My braincell's working today so i'm off flyingteeth 2

John

All Topics | Latest Posts

This thread is closed.

Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!