Weston Park 2014 chat

What did others think?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tim Mackey15/06/2014 18:40:48
20920 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles

Shared a car with two clubmates, and that made the petrol costs v reasonable ( £10 a head ) but thought the entrance price was a little steep at £11. We all took our own food, and met up with some other buddies who were camping for the whole weekend, so we got T and biccies etc free there too LOL. Didnt seem to be as many stalls there this year, and those that were there, were certainly not as busy as years gone by. I can remember the rugby scrum squashing and jostling that used to happen at the more popular tents, but every one I visited ( pretty much all of 'em ) were very easy to access and browse.

Well down on food stalls this year too, not that this concerned me.

Didn't see any "bargains" TBH, and in fact I thought that the prices were high on many items.

As an example, several stands selling some Turnigy batteries at TWICE the price that they are listed in the UK warehouse!3s 1800 30C are a whisper over £10.80 online, and £18 at Weston, and the popular 2200 3s 30C jobs, at between £17.50 - £19 at the show, yet only £8 online !

There were cheaper packs around, such as the very acceptable 2200 3s "Dynamic" packs @ £11 a pack, at the normally very well priced "Inwoods".

I'm not moaning, as I don't go for the shopping, it was a good day out, in lovely surroundings, with a few nice flying models.... highlights for me being the full size glider, the solo pitts ( who was the very best of the day for me ) and the Hawk duo from the bishop boys.

Just my opinion, and I'd be interested in hearing others impressions of the day.

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 15/06/2014 19:14:29

cymaz15/06/2014 19:00:09
9019 forum posts
1187 photos

Tim, I fear you may get a slap from a Mod on the wrist for the last paragraph - but it may me laugh.

Tim Mackey15/06/2014 19:02:32
20920 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles

I know...... but hey ho, its not that bad, and I would have likely let it through in my modding daywink

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator15/06/2014 19:16:01
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Ah - but times change Tim, and we must change with the times. wink 2

Final paragraph edited.

BEB

Lindsay Todd15/06/2014 19:19:19
1705 forum posts
1707 photos

Well entrance fees aside which are always a matter of opinion I though it the best Weston show for some years with plenty of diversity and some excellent full size displays and some descent weather to cap it off. I don't go looking for bargains these days as the internet seems to always win on that score but it is nice to actually see the stuff first hand before you buy and personally I attribute some added value to knowing, seeing and handling what I am getting. Linds

Chris Barlow15/06/2014 19:23:12
1904 forum posts
1308 photos

Love the opinions bit! very true. yes

Yes food stalls were down. I was particularly looking forward to my pork & apple bap for Sat evening tea but they weren't there! crying

Happy with the £11 entry though! (although an odd number?) For a full day and evening entertainment and considering what was there it seemed good to me?

Prices at the stalls? Yes I too saw some inflated prices but simply didn't buy from those stalls! Got a load of bits for building and treated myself to a balsa stripper which was quite reasonable without the usual horrific postage cost attached to them!

Overall enjoyed it again this year although couldn't camp for the weekend this time! From Sat nights evening flying I cant wait for the true night event later in the year! laugh

ken anderson.15/06/2014 19:23:41
8554 forum posts
776 photos

I fear that the trade at shows is going the same way as 'computer fair's' did......Kaput..

ken Anderson....ne....1 kaput dept.....

Matthew Leese15/06/2014 19:46:20
12 forum posts
1 photos

I thought this was the best Weston Park show for many years. The growing number of overseas pilots is truly bringing some interesting models to the show. I went with the family,thats me, my wife, my dad and 4 children! We all had a great day out for £39. A bargain as we all thoroughly enjoyed the show! Was disappointed that Ali Machinchy didnt fly more but understand that he was a late entry as he now works mostly in the USA. My little girl was thrilled to get a picture with him though. A true gentleman. I thought the prices on some trade stands were a little steep too. I saw a Hobbyking Durafly Sky Mule on sale for £175.00 on one stall that you can buy brand new from hobbyking for £118.00 ! All in all though, a great show that was a credit to the Bishop boys. Oh and my little girls loved the toffee drop!

Bill_B15/06/2014 19:54:10
1145 forum posts
11 photos

​Talking of Hobbyking, what's the point of going to a large show like Weston and not taking any stock for sale. Of course it's nice to view their goods, but it's also nice to purchase if the mood takes. I wonder how many potential sales they've lost over the weekend? frown

Tim Mackey15/06/2014 21:42:36
20920 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles

I have a suspicion that the reason you can't actually purchase anything from HK at the shows is tied up with imports / taxes etc. Someone suggested that when you buy from the UK warehouse you are effectively the importer.

Still, don't want to stray off me own topic, I'll get modded for that next dont know

Allan Bowker15/06/2014 22:03:57
1627 forum posts
227 photos

Bill, I don't think Hobbyking sell goods at shows as this would have VAT / Tax implications for them? I'm pretty sure they 'do an Amazon.com' and process their online payments outside of the UK.

Gate price was an amusing issue for me, 2 adults @ £11 and one Child at £6 (£28), "I'll have a £25 family ticket then please" I said......The kid on the gate got confused and said "you need to have 2 kids with you for a family ticket"........I wasn't going to argue with the hard of thinking, so I paid and drove on.

TJD were selling the Blade 200 SR X for £180 today, however their website has them at £153 inc delivery! The "Show Price" signs don't have the same meaning as they used to!

Didn't see any real bargains and choice seemed quite slim. I was hoping to pickup a circa 60" plug'n'fly balsa/ply plane for sub £180 that would suit my son as a second model.........ended up with an foamie Acrowot for £115

Overall a good day out, mooching round the trade tents is what I go for.

Edited By Allan Bowker on 15/06/2014 22:06:08

Lazygit15/06/2014 22:11:28
295 forum posts
2 photos

I think the problem for traders, according to one I spoke to, is that they look to at least cover costs of going to a show. 20 years ago they did well and so could do show offers and still turn a profit. Now they sell small amounts and wonder if it's worth attending. Years ago they could make £thousands in a day, now it is likely to be low £hundreds. Not enough to earn a living.

The problem? Us! We want things cheap and so buy from the likes of Hobbyking whose business model is to sell and take no interest in taxes of the countries of their customers. The customers have no interest in paying the taxes either. However, traders who operate in the UK have to abide by the tax laws.

When goods are imported, the IMPORTER is responsible for the taxes and for the regulations the goods should conform to, such as CE marking. If a trader imports goods they take the rap, when modellers do it they brag about how little they had to pay.

This is IMO a major reason why model shops are closing and why shows are not as vibrant as they used to be.

fly-navy15/06/2014 23:34:47
413 forum posts
11 photos

I had a thoroughly enjoyable day yesterday also, what a bloomin hot day, twas lovely and my biggest purchases were "Slush Puppies"smile d

Yes the stalls seemed easier to navigate with fewer people browsing it seemed but my biggest gripe, there may be some of you on here devil are people who never think to take those chuffin great back packs off when they go in the tents, they stand a foot or so from the sides so they can view the items and no one can get past or you are ignorant if walk in front of them.

Ban the back packs in trade tent petition to start eh girls ??cheeky

loved the DP display as usual but the single Hawk display by Mark was something else, like a full size demo. And the guys from abroad deserve a big thanks as well, what a show they all put on.

Edited By fly-navy on 15/06/2014 23:37:26

Jon Laughton16/06/2014 11:06:13
1191 forum posts
72 photos

I go every year and enjoyed it again tremendously. I thought the attendance was better than last year but thats just my opinion.

Trade presence was good and the real ale wonderful!

Colin Bernard16/06/2014 14:23:29
485 forum posts
81 photos

Certainly seemed to be more there on the Saturday when I went. I generally arrive around 10ish and normally get parked in the middle of the main car park, but this year I was on the last row before they started using the overflow.

Still plenty of room for everyone though.

As others have commented the limted choice of fish, burger or pizza was disappointing as I always look forward to a hot pork sandwich and was spoilt after the one I had at Long Marston - pricey but huge helping of pork and crackling - very enjoyable. £4 for a small fish was a bit much!

And £2 for a small bottle of water is excessive - I know they have to cover their costs but this seemed OTT. (The ice cream guys were selling the same for £1.50.)

As to the show - excellent. Good variety generally, with just a few of the 'same old, same old's'.

One thing that struck me is that these shows bring in a lot of people who don't know aeromodelling and maybe wish to take it up as a result, so why isn't there a slot showing how people can get into the hobby - maybe demonstrating someone learning on a buddy lead on a basic trainer, then going solo, then on to an aerobatic trainer etc.with some information being given out about each,

I am sure that a lot of people may get put off having the impression that we all fly planes worth thousands not knowing that a couple of hundred would get you into the air.

Would maybe make a good lunchtime slot?

Gregg Veasey16/06/2014 15:52:27
114 forum posts
42 photos

TJD were selling the Blade 200 SR X for £180 today, however their website has them at £153 inc delivery! The "Show Price" signs don't have the same meaning as they used to!

Just to clear this one up Allan. I'm afraid you are looking at 2 different products. One is a bind & fly which they didn't have any of on their stand and the other is a ready to go version with everything included, thats where the price difference comes.....

Glad you had a good day overall. I personally thought it was fantastic with so much variety

Gregg

Edited By Gregg Veasey on 16/06/2014 15:53:47

Edited By Gregg Veasey on 16/06/2014 15:54:12

Allan Bowker16/06/2014 16:05:30
1627 forum posts
227 photos

My apologies Greg, I must have misread the BnF / PnP badge. embarrassed

I've always found TJD to be competitive on price and purchased my Blade 200 SR X from them, I'm a very happy customer.

Sorry to say though that this wasn't the only example regarding show price offers. Hopefully I'm not going senile to be mistaken by them all laugh

Gregg Veasey16/06/2014 16:11:04
114 forum posts
42 photos

No problem Allan, I just wanted to clear that up as I'm sure you are aware it can damage reputations. Marking up prices for shows may go on but certainly doesn't happen with us, which the website will back up.

I'm glad you are a happy customer though

Cheers

Gregg

Edited By Gregg Veasey on 16/06/2014 16:11:36

Codename-John16/06/2014 18:09:53
1087 forum posts
18 photos
Posted by Colin Bernard on 16/06/2014 14:23:29:

One thing that struck me is that these shows bring in a lot of people who don't know aeromodelling and maybe wish to take it up as a result, so why isn't there a slot showing how people can get into the hobby - maybe demonstrating someone learning on a buddy lead on a basic trainer, then going solo, then on to an aerobatic trainer etc.with some information being given out about each,

I am sure that a lot of people may get put off having the impression that we all fly planes worth thousands not knowing that a couple of hundred would get you into the air.

Would maybe make a good lunchtime slot?

I doubt they could get insurance to cover it as B test is required to fly at such shows which kind of rules out learners lol

The BMFA did have their stand with any information required and simulators etc too though which seemed quite busy over the weekend

Bill_B16/06/2014 18:28:10
1145 forum posts
11 photos

​I wonder if the 13 year old lad flying the pulse jet had a 'B' surprise

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
CADMA
Slec
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us