Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

first small ic plane

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
gliggsy01/07/2014 15:33:37
100 forum posts
4 photos

Hi guys, I have been flying leccy for the past four years and although it is very convenient for a quick blast there is something inside me that would like to have a go with something a bit more mechanical and messy!! Problem is I only fly small I.e 38" wing span and preferably with removable wings. So the question is : which way forwards. What fuel types and engine size would I be looking for and coupled to which airframe. I prefer sport flying if this helps, is this something that is viable .g

J D 801/07/2014 16:13:21
1340 forum posts
78 photos

Get yourself an OS LA10/15 glow, great little motors,easy to use, just a glow stick,chicken stick[to flick prop] and fuel will suit your type of model.

fly boy301/07/2014 16:29:08
3559 forum posts
21 photos

Hi Gliggsy, 38 inch span is quite small, is there a special reason for this ? Removable wings, is this a transport or/and storage problem ? I think we all agree bigger models fly better ! (fetches tin hat) Cheers

Martyn K01/07/2014 16:33:26
5033 forum posts
3677 photos

Try a Mini Jazz. Flies really well with a SC15 or OS15. Quite a quick build, fun to fly and a few build blogs on the 2014 Mast Build Forum.

Perfick

Braddock, VC01/07/2014 17:01:27
1636 forum posts
82 photos

Sig wonder, quite expensive as a kit but like a ten bob rocket with a thunder tiger 15. Pegasus models sell them.

servo shop have various ic stuff about a meter wingspan some for more powerful engines, worth a browse there.

Engine Doctor02/07/2014 10:36:24
2369 forum posts
29 photos

Hi Gliggsy. Ask ten people and you will get ten different answers. Why not look at what other members of your club fly and see what excites you. The only drawback I can see is the size you are looking at . Not many I/C models of that size around unless you want to build from a plan. As said earlier the OS la 10 and 15 are very easy to use engines and they are quiet so shouldn't upset any neighbours . Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of IC.

Jon - Laser Engines02/07/2014 12:15:31
5001 forum posts
200 photos

If you can do it then I would suggest going up a bit on your model size. Small IC engines can be a fiddle and as has been said bigger models fly better. I would look at something like a wot 4 or acrowot as a nice 50-60 4 stroke would work brilliantly. if you cannot live with a model of this size then there are other smaller options. Also are you looking build or get an ARTF?

IanN02/07/2014 12:26:04
1675 forum posts
119 photos
Posted by john davies 8 on 01/07/2014 16:13:21:

Get yourself an OS LA10/15 glow, great little motors,easy to use, just a glow stick,chicken stick[to flick prop] and fuel will suit your type of model.

Seconded. Dead easy to start and set up, and pretty tolerant of settings, tank position etc. Not at all fiddly. Not the most powerful, as not ball raced - but are therefore correspondingly lighter than similar size BB engines - which is an advantage at the size you mention

Plenty of plans in your preferred size range

gliggsy02/07/2014 18:37:01
100 forum posts
4 photos

Hi fellas, thanks for the response, ATM both transport and storage are both contributing factors of size, all the guys at my club fly big and they are a good bunch with lots of knowledge, it's just a question that I thought I would put among you fella's. Will do a search for a 15 or similar and do a little more research, would love to build but work gets in the way!!!!!! g

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us