By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Is it me?

Gift voucher from Al's Hobbies

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Masher04/07/2014 17:32:27
1109 forum posts
79 photos

My daughter gave me an Al's Hobbies gift voucher for father's day which I tried to use today. I order online but could find no way of deducting the voucher at the checkout (it has a unique identifier code on it). So I phoned them up and got the blunt response - no you can't use it on line, you have to post it to us, tell us what you want to buy, then we will deduct it????????

Seems as useful as an ejector seat in a helicopter to me, I will use it up at a show and never use them again

................. but perhaps it's just me?

cymaz04/07/2014 18:30:28
9451 forum posts
1241 photos

Donate the voucher to Al's Hobbies so they can pay to go on a customer service course.

avtur04/07/2014 19:34:08
883 forum posts
20 photos

No its not just you ...

That is a very difficult situation, the family goes to some lengths to do what they believe is the 'right thing', but the chosen retailer lets you down. I've had that happen, in my case you do what you can to cover up the deficiencies of the retailer without letting the family know what problems you encounter.

Having said that, this year my fathers day gift this year was a family night out to see "Mrs Brown's Boys - The Movie" now I'm sure this is not everyone's cup of tea ... but I thought it was brilliant

Many thanks to my girls for a totally well judged present.

Edited By avtur on 04/07/2014 19:34:51

Pete B - Moderator04/07/2014 20:31:13
7688 forum posts
735 photos

I'd have expected that if you buy a voucher online, you should be able to redeem it the same way...disgust

The web page says 'Vouchers can be used in any of our stores'. The fact is, the online websites are the 'stores' for many of us who cannot get to the LMS, so if they offer them, they should realise that. If it's too difficult, they should make it clear.

If Ali was looking in, I'm sure he'd get it sorted...thumbs up

Pete

Ben B04/07/2014 20:59:39
1463 forum posts
4 photos
That's rubbish imho. We live in a digital age, no way you should have to post it to them beggjng them to let you buy something your nearest and dearest have paid ? for. As said if they can sell you a voucher online you should be able to redeem it online. Sounds
Like they're hoping people just won't bother. Bit poor if you ask me.
KingKade04/07/2014 21:28:49
512 forum posts
22 photos

wink

Slow up a minute...i agree that they should have the facility to redeem vouchers online, it is 2014 for G's sake.....

But look at it this way...

the OP stated...

So I phoned them up and got the blunt response - no you can't use it on line, you have to post it to us, tell us what you want to buy, then we will deduct it????????

if the model shop guy said this politely, as they may not have the facility yet.....but it was received 'bluntly' by the OP, as he didnt get the answer he wanted.....you are being unfair to the model shop....

Pete B - Moderator04/07/2014 21:51:55
7688 forum posts
735 photos

Sorry, KK, I can't agree with you there. If the shop is going to impose conditions, then those conditions should be clearly stated at the point of sale, not when the customer wants to redeem the voucher.

They're happy enough to sell them online, so it's down to them to make sure the system is in place and working first....smile

pete

KingKade04/07/2014 22:08:12
512 forum posts
22 photos

No worries......As you said earlier....the conditions are stated.....Vouchers can be used in any of our stores.... It doesn't say 'and on our website'

also the Op didn't say if the vouchers were bought online or in store....they were given to him....

im just giving the MS the benefit of the doubt as there is no one to speak for them.....

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator04/07/2014 23:29:43
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

If they sell the voucher on-line then I think it should be redeemable on line - or made very very clear that this is not so. I don't really think that stating "Redeemable at any of our shops" is making that quite clear enough! It's within the letter - true, but is it really within the spirit? I'd say not.

BEB

Former Member05/07/2014 00:09:34
3573 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Masher05/07/2014 06:26:30
1109 forum posts
79 photos

Thanks for the replies chaps. This is no big deal but I sometimes wonder if it's just me being cynical.

The voucher was bought online and the only condition stated is that it must be used within 6 months. As I said in the OP, I'll just use it at the next show and be less inclined to use Al's in the future. It's a shame really because we really want all these UK businesses to thrive and as far as I am concerned, one customer lost is a bad result - well 3 customers actually because I buy from there and my 2 kids get directed there by me at Xmas & birthday time - hence the father's day voucher.

Never mind

Ted05/07/2014 06:54:38
48 forum posts
2 photos

Masher, What happens if the voucher is not accepted at the show? Technically its a 'stand' not a shop. A situation like this is where everyone suffers, I try to give cash rather than vouchers for this very reason. Vouchers are not always accepted. What has happened to the saying I was taught when I worked as a grocer, "The customer is always right." Ted.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Subscribe now
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!