Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

xtal question for 35

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
gliggsy19/07/2014 12:08:57
100 forum posts
4 photos

Hi fellas, I am looking for some old fashioned type help here, a workmate asked if I would build a plane for him that he had stored for about 8 years, everything was new in the boxes, Vmar Discovery high wing trainer, Enya 40SS engine and a Futaba skysport 6. Well I put everything together for him and got it running, I had to replace the rx flight pack but other than that all's good. He thought that because it was classed as a trainer he would be good to fly it off his own land, unaided!!!!! I put him right and have purchased a Bixler for him to start on. it's his first plane so I didn't want to go to the expense of buying him another tx, now the question is ok so I need another rx, does it need to be Futaba and if so I will obviously need a crystal, do I need a pair of matching crystals ie one for tx and one for rx. I I do need a pair ,then can someone enlighten me why the are sold singularly.......G

Peter Beeney19/07/2014 13:04:25
1581 forum posts
59 photos

Gliggsey,

The short answer is that crystals are not matched, they just need to be on the same channel. i.e, 64. However, if you use a dual conversion receiver, say Futaba, you would usually need the manufactures own dual conversion crystal. Best to avoid this if you can, I’d have thought, so why not just use the receiver you have anyway, after all it’s unlikely he will want to fly two models at once. At least that will get you going, and then in the meantime it might be that someone will give you a receiver, and with luck even the right channel crystal… There must still be a fair few lying around…

Oddly enough, I was talking to a mate at the patch yesterday, it was exactly 5 years ago he turned up to make a start with his trainer and the last new set of 35 gear that we saw, GWS as it happened; he soon went 2.4, and so I reckon that 8 years ago 2.4 was just beginning to appear on the scene in some quantity.

A Good Effort and Good Luck with it!

PB

Frank Skilbeck19/07/2014 13:37:38
4550 forum posts
101 photos

Any make of Rx will do as long as it's not a PCM type, the crystal needs to be same channel as the Tx and suitable for the Rx. I've used these with both Futaba and Multiplex 35mhz tx's no problems, just make sure you buy a matching crystal with it. But as Peter notes you can find 2nd hand 35 mhz Rx's pretty cheap these days, but make sure you can still get the crystals for it (unless it's synthesized type)

Phil Green19/07/2014 15:35:34
1538 forum posts
314 photos

I would thoroughly recommend a Corona RP4S1 synthesized receiver for your Bixler, cheap as chips, perfectly reliable, small, extreme range, no crystal worries, works just fine with Futaba/Hitec/Sanwa/etc/etc

Superb little receiver for under fifteen squids. Here:

Somewhere in netland I did a video review but I dunno where it is. Maybe on Cod forums.

Cheers
Phil

Edit: Found it, it was 6 years ago....  still an excellent receiver today.

RP4S1 Video

Edited By Phil Green on 19/07/2014 15:42:32

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us